Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

Just watched this

TWG__EOLM6WlJy66hFSkDnUJCZircyLBrE3hddHP

Really great stuff. Available free (legally) online here

Really surprisingly interesting documentary about a competition to win a truck in texas in the 90s

For those of you who have seen "King of Kong" I'd put it in the same sort of bracket. Sounds like it should be shit but it's actually surprisingly great

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Just watched this

TWG__EOLM6WlJy66hFSkDnUJCZircyLBrE3hddHP

Really great stuff. Available free (legally) online here

Really surprisingly interesting documentary about a competition to win a truck in texas in the 90s

For those of you who have seen "King of Kong" I'd put it in the same sort of bracket. Sounds like it should be shit but it's actually surprisingly great

King of Kong I really enjoyed in an odd kind of way. If this is in the same bracket I'll definitely give it a watch.  Thats my "tonights what to do during the insomnia" solved.

Watched 'Against the Odds', Tony Bellew's documentary. Always thought he was a bit of a gobshite. But since I watched a few of his fights, SAS who dares wins and now this documentary, I have got to like the guy. His straight down to earth attitude is humbling and just admitting he boxed for his families financial future, nothing more, did it well too, until Alexander Uysk gave him a lesson in boxing.

12 hours ago, bielesibub said:

King of Kong I really enjoyed in an odd kind of way. If this is in the same bracket I'll definitely give it a watch.  Thats my "tonights what to do during the insomnia" solved.

Definitely the same kind of ball park. You'll enjoy it

• 2 weeks later...

Watching "The House Of Maxwell " on BBC IPlayer. Fascinating stuff. What a megalomaniac the father was, and the sons were not much better, then you have the strange sister. 

Kevin Maxwell spent 21 days, consecutively in the witness box during his trial. That is just mind - blowing. I felt exhausted after 2 hours, God knows, how he must have felt, still, I  imagine the acquittal would have eased the pain somewhat. 

• Like 1

Watched the “Murder in the Alps” three parter on Channel 4, about the killing of a British Iraqi family in the French Alps

Thing I found infuriating about it was the way they kept describing it as a “professional” hitman assassination, and I was glad someone pushed back on that in one of the episodes.

Surely if you have a gun, and you catch a group of unarmed people, most of whom are stuck sat in a parked car, off guard, in the middle of nowhere, you don’t need to be a trained killer to do what he did? Just a psychopath.

The French police seemed very reluctant to believe that it could have been the work of a lone nutter, and instead wasted months, if not years, obsessing over the family’s Iraqi background.

Watch the doc and I’m sure you’ll come away with the same impression… a paid hit makes little sense because they weren’t taking a pre planned route. And the killer used a very old Luger pistol to do the job. And two people survived.

A bit like that unexplained doorstep murder in Scotland, it feels like the police got carried away with explanations relating to international espionage, organised crime, hired hit men, cryptic clues, etc and didn’t dig into more mundane scenarios early enough.

By the time they started looking at the theory that it might have been the cyclist who was the target, and the British family just unlucky witnesses, it seems like any evidence that might have solved the case has probably disappeared.

Really frustrating to watch, and shows how much police can **** cases up by getting carried away with pet theories and stereotypes. Imagine it’ll never be solved now. Worth a watch anyway.

• Like 1

On 26/05/2022 at 00:09, El Zen said:

Just started Judd Apatow’s documentary on George Carlin on HBO. Been looking forward to it a lot. 

It was lovely, btw. What a fascinating, desperately funny man. 

Thought I would watch "The  Last Dance" again. What a great doc. That moment with Jordan, holding the ball in the dressing room after he had just won his 4th championship, and sobbing his heart out because his father wasn't there to share the moment with him, truly hearbreaking. 

• Like 2

A very British history : Birmingham Irish I am. On bbc4 last night. Very interesting watching clips of Birmingham over the years and hearing about the growth of Birmingham’s Irish community. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, choffer said:

A very British history : Birmingham Irish I am. On bbc4 last night. Very interesting watching clips of Birmingham over the years and hearing about the growth of Birmingham’s Irish community. 

My mate is St Patrick in the parade in that!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m 2/3 of the way through the Woodstock ‘99 festival documentary (Netflix). It’s unravelling in spectacular fashion thanks mainly to Limp Bizkit lighting the fuse that was threatening to ignite for 2 days.

Just taking a break for the final part as my son has a headache and it’s not appropriate at all. 

• Like 1

I loved the Woodstock doc. I’ll be honest other than all the vile sexual assault shit and things like that it did look fun lol. KoRn and Limp Bizkit looked like they absolutely killed it and I don’t even like Limp Bizkit. The 2 guys that organised it come across as proper dickheads 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bizzzle said:

I loved the Woodstock doc. I’ll be honest other than all the vile sexual assault shit and things like that it did look fun lol. KoRn and Limp Bizkit looked like they absolutely killed it and I don’t even like Limp Bizkit. The 2 guys that organised it come across as proper dickheads 

I finished it now. 

The main guy who arranged it looked a grade A bellend. He just didn’t give a shit, just wanted his profit. They didn’t cover if it made money in the end after the clean up.

Obviously the documentary focuses on the carnage but a lot of people thought it was an amazing weekend. The organisers were playing everything down which was really irresponsible. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to watching that doc.  That festival had what would have been an absolute dream lineup for me a few years back.  Obviously the whole thing ended up being a shit show but show but I’ve watched some of the sets on YouTube and they looked ace.

Â