Documentaries you have to watch

Ikantcpell

On 12/04/2022 at 22:36, choffer said:

Disappointing but then I probably should have guessed I wouldn’t learn anything from the two protagonists. 

What did you want to know? I'm curious as I might know the answer.

But they definitely did not burn a million quid

Watched Our Father on Netflix last night. About a fertility doctor in USA using his own specimen on countless patients to good effect it seems. Around 90 siblings they know about and counting. 

No acknowledgeable crime committed though. Crazy.

An interesting watch, that’s for sure! 

Edited by villan-scott

The 8 part Muhammad Ali documentary series on BBC I player is well worth a watch. Won't be any surprises for anyone who knows Ali's story but it is really well put together with some great old footage. 

• Like 1

Apologies if already posted.

If you care about the future, or even have a mild interest in it, I think this is worth your time of day.

'The Social Dilemma' 

Edited by A'Villan

Last night I watched The Cave. It follows a young female paediatric doctor working in a secret underground hospital in war torn Eastern Ghouta, Syria. The area was under Russian/Assad siege for years, with daily bombings and chlorine attacks from the Russian scum, much like what’s happening in Ukraine today.

It’s a powerful film, sad and moving. Well worth a watch. 

On 24/04/2022 at 22:38, foreveryoung said:

Whoa, just watching Chernobyl the lost tapes. Shocking!

Russia lying to there own people yet again.

Countries have been lying to their own people since time immemorial. We went to war on the back of one.

• Like 3

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

And the British are up there with the best of them. Perfidious Albion.

Everything comes into the light eventually.

Next 20 years are going to be wild.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Really enjoying the Muhammad Ali doc on BBC IPlayer. A great quote from Michael Bent on the first Ali - Frazier fight, "Ali wanted it, but Joe needed it".

Ken Burns never disappoints. 

I'm not sure that is the one, but one documentary I watched painted him as a bit of a racist.

Love some of his quotes "Iv'e had 180 amateur fights and 22 professional fights, an I'm still as pretty as a girl, I can't be beaten"!

20 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I'm not sure that is the one, but one documentary I watched painted him as a bit of a racist.

Love some of his quotes "Iv'e had 180 amateur fights and 22 professional fights, an I'm still as pretty as a girl, I can't be beaten"!

This one does, but not at white people as you would think, but at some of his fellow, black opponents, particularly, Joe Frazier. 

• Like 1

Just watched another episode of the Ali documentary. 

Surely the victory over Foreman has to be acknowledged has one of the greatest, individual sporting, performances of all time. It's amazing how he neutralized the power of Foreman by, ironically, standing in front of him. If he had told his team , before the fight, the strategy he was going to use, I  think they may have tried to get the fight called off, such was the fear surrounding Foreman's power.

"Ali, bomaye".

• Like 1

Our Father on netflix

Doc about an American birth clinic Dr who uses his own juice for the turkey baster 

The story is good but the documentary isn't particularly well made imo 

For a couple of reasons I didn't actually find myself siding with the victims a lot of the time, there's a lot of accusations thrown out there which they don't do anything to back up and end up being rambling conspiracy theories, I thought they should have gone in to far more depth about the legal ramifications of what he did and I'm not sure on a scale of 1 to 10 how much of a bastard he is, first thoughts is I've only got him at around a 6/10, I struggled with the mental issues and the whole "I don't know who I am anymore" side of it and then I thought most bizarrely there's not a single dad in the whole doc, that would be the gut punch for me, that's where what he's done is worse imo

Â