Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

So was/is Bruce though. The narrative of “Rafa had nothing, Steve has had loads” is simply incorrect.

I wouldn’t say that Klopp has had next to nothing to spend, either. 

Klopp is able to shop in the big shop, neither Bruce nor Benitez (at Newcastle) were, though Bruce had money this summer.

1 hour ago, blandy said:

Klopp is able to shop in the big shop, neither Bruce nor Benitez (at Newcastle) were, though Bruce had money this summer.

2017/18 (under Benitez) - Spent £41.85m 
2018/19 (under Benitez) - Spent £53.78m 
2019/20 (under Bruce) - Spent £65.61m
2020/21 (under Bruce) - Spent £34.88m

£95.63m under Benitez, 100.49m under Bruce.  But they do say it's the £4.86m extra spending power that makes all the difference in the Premier League!

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

2017/18 (under Benitez) - Spent £41.85m 
2018/19 (under Benitez) - Spent £53.78m 
2019/20 (under Bruce) - Spent £65.61m
2020/21 (under Bruce) - Spent £34.88m

£95.63m under Benitez, 100.49m under Bruce.  But they do say it's the £4.86m extra spending power that makes all the difference in the Premier League!

Net spend tells a different story. ~38m for Rafa vs 83m for Bruce.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Isn't £40+ million of that on joelington? 

I'm not sure he was a Bruce's signing, wasnt he lined up when Benitez was in charge? 

Not defending bruce of the net spend mind

I'm just thankful we lost that play off final. 

6 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That simply isn't true according to transfermarkt.

Edit:  And also, net spend means jack shit.  As I said earlier, Klopp has spent loads, not barely anything because of "net spend".

Edited by bobzy

1 minute ago, Jimzk5 said:

I'm not sure he was a Bruce's signing, wasnt he lined up when Benitez was in charge? 

Yeah there's a lot more context than just looking at raw figures I guess. Net spend is 1 more level of context than just gross spend but yeah it goes a lot deeper than that.

15 minutes ago, Jimzk5 said:

I think thats why Rafa walked. I dont think Joe Linton was either a Bruce or Rafa signing. Rafa walked because of him and Bruce is not going to complain

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

That simply isn't true according to transfermarkt.

Edit:  And also, net spend means jack shit.  As I said earlier, Klopp has spent loads, not barely anything because of "net spend".

I was looking at transfermarkt. Subtract outgoings from incomings for each seasons. I could have been wrong though.

I think net spend tells more than just gross spend in most cases. For example, in 2011 we spent about 25m which on the face of it was a decent outlay for a team that just finished 9th, but we sold almost 50m worth of talent the same window. -25m net spend probably painted a picture closer to reality because we actually got weaker that season as we didn't properly replace Young and Downing.

But it depends on the situation I guess because like you say, Klopp's net spend is relatively low but that's inflated by the fee they received for Coutinho which was extortionate. I think Newcastle fans will know better than us on the situation with Rafa. When you listen to him you would think he was restricted by Ashley but I wouldn't put it past him embellishing the situation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

spacer.png

What more do Newcastle fans want? Champions league football. They need to realise it's not 1996 or 2003 anymore and accept Bruce is doing absolute wonders.

They rank 1st in clearances thou with a whopping 380, almost 40 more than 19th placed Sheffield U. (fwiw we have 254)

2nd in blocks and joint 2nd in saves so it's not all bad :D 

Edited by sne

Good stats, but they aren’t actually worst in the league for shots/game. They’ve played a game less than some of the other teams so have naturally had fewer shots. 

(That said, they’re 18th for shots/game and 17th for SOT/game, so not a massive improvement :D)

Â