Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That run of games infuriated me. We had a good chance to get back into the top 2. Then we go and lose at home to QPR and then to Bolton away, barely laying a glove on either. We lose even more ground on Cardiff and to make matters worse, Fulham then pass us into 3rd.

I was at the QPR game and we just didn't turn up as an attacking force. Eze and their left back at the time (I forget his name) ripped us apart. They had carte blanche to come forward as we just sat so deep.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

That Bolton game basically killed our chances of auto promotion and in hindsight probably saved the club

I was at that game, it was absolutely grim. The only positive thing that day was the fans. We had the whole stand behind the goal (not that we bothered it) 

50 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Im embarrassed he was ever our manager tbh 

Me to pal. People might shoot me down for this because the game is about results, but:

I left VP quite a few times after a win under Bruce and still felt down.

Conversely I've left VP with a smile on my face after a loss under Smith. 

Of course it's all about results but part of being a fan Is living for those unforgettable games. The 1-2 against Rotherham when down to 10 men, the 3-3 draw against Sheff UTD, there are loads under Smith. 

People slam Jose's critics because "he wins stuff, what more do you want" well I want to feel the rush of watching the ball hit the back of net and then seeing my team continue attacking in order to try to score more, because it's the best feeling in the world. 

Call it mass hysteria if you like, but I'd take that every day of the week over the guttless rubbish served up by the likes of Bruce. 

Edited by av1

12 hours ago, Keyblade said:

That looks like sound judgement to me.

And, that's my point. Bruce took over a team that was not as good as the one Benitez ended the season with, yet still managed middle table safety all season.

Just now, momo said:

And, that's my point. Bruce took over a team that was not as good as the one Benitez ended the season with, yet still managed middle table safety all season.

He spent £100m net to make it better than it ever was. Benitez would have killed to have their current attacking options.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, momo said:

You sound like his mates in the media

They're safely mid table, they get enough points on the board to be ok why can't everyone just be happy?

Because the football is absolutely **** terrible... This "results based business" is nonsense, its not, especially when you're not actually competing for anything, Rafa finished 13th, Bruce finished 13th too but with more points, both of them mean nothing so you judge the quality of the football and you cannot possibly argue that Rafa played worse football than Bruce because he simply didn't 

12 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

How do people not see it, or is it only the fans of the clubs he manages that do?

I think it’s a combination of the fact his teams are so boring neutrals try and avoid and just don’t really pay him too much notice and that the clubs he’s managing are in a period of decline so people just see the same continuing.

Also for most people their predominate memories of him, including me before he came to us, are him managing complete relegation fodder (Hull, Wigan, Sunderland) and arguably getting them to punch above their weight. It’s when he’s gone to clubs which aren’t the underdog every game, and in our case one of the best teams in the division, and he’s still trying to shithouse his way through every game it’s become clear just how much of a dinosaur he is.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

They're safely mid table, they get enough points on the board to be ok why can't everyone just be happy?

Because the football is absolutely **** terrible... This "results based business" is nonsense, its not, especially when you're not actually competing for anything, Rafa finished 13th, Bruce finished 13th too but with more points, both of them mean nothing so you judge the quality of the football and you cannot possibly argue that Rafa played worse football than Bruce because he simply didn't 

But he is tactically better than Rafa apparently.... 🤦‍♂️

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

But he is tactically better than Rafa apparently.... 🤦‍♂️

I honestly don't see how, even the man himself has said on a few occasions that he doesn't really do tactics

And then there's still the point that his tactic is shit to watch, would you rather finish 17th with rafa or 13th with Bruce? The noise from the geordies is that they'd rather be 17th with rafa and I'd be the same, look at the baggies fans moaning about fat Sam (albeit they won't be for long) they don't want that football no matter how good it is tactically, no one wants to watch it 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Dean Smith said it best. I recall him pointing out that football is entertainment, and that's what the fans really want to see.

Pragmatism will keep you in the league you're in, but it won't win you any more fans.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momo said:

Rafa Benitez spent 89 million as Newcastle manager in the Premier League and build a system

Steve Bruce has spent 90 million more to that team and hasnt improved them including less goals, more conceded and similar points

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jonesy7211 said:

I was at the QPR game and we just didn't turn up as an attacking force. Eze and their left back at the time (I forget his name) ripped us apart. They had carte blanche to come forward as we just sat so deep.

We played the exact same team that beat Wolves earlier. Most managers with the squad we had would have rotated and ripped it up but Steve Bruce being Steve Bruce just phoned it in and went "same again lads" then said in his post match along the lines of i should have freshened it up. Well yes we have a 35 year old JT at CB ffs

El Fraudiola.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

El Fraudiola.

Love it.

Since commenting last night I've been on the Sunderland and Newcastle forums. They all say the same things we do. It's not that he's defensive, it's that he's so negative and inept, and will never offer any reasonable excuse for his sides shortcomings other than remove himself from any blame.

I stop short of feeling sorry for the Newcastle fans, but it must be awful knowing he'll never get the sack as long as he's keeping them in the league.

Edited by Jonesy7211
Sentence structure

3 minutes ago, Jonesy7211 said:

Love it.

Since commenting last night I've been on the forums Sunderland and Newcastle. They all say the same things we do. It's not that he's defensive, it's that he's so negative and inept, and will never offer any reasonable excuse for his sides shortcomings other than remove himself from any blame.

I stop short of feeling sorry for the Newcastle fans, but it must be awful knowing he'll never get the sack as long as he's keeping them in the league.

It took nearly two years to untrain the Bruce tactics from our squad. Sit deep, hold your position, push the ball to the target man, all get forward in lines. 

Jurassic **** park.

Edited by avfcDJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

It took nearly two years to untrain the Bruce tactics from our squad. Sit deep, hold your position, push the ball to the target man, all get forward in lines. 

Jurassic **** park.

You forgot the main tactic of “give it to Jack!!”. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â