Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

6 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

No it isn't.

He's done what he did for some here and taken their team off them.

I dont understand the second sentence. 

In regards to the first, you think fans would genuinely want to be relegated in the hope Mike Ashley might sack Steve Bruce? 

Edited by Don_Simon
I put in bold the "Mike Ashley" bit.

3 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

In regards to the first, you think fans would genuinely want to be relegated in the hope Mike Ashley might sack Steve Bruce? 

yes I think so, problem is I dont think he would sack Bruce. But he has ruined football for a large portion of Newcastle fans, look some people might think they are spoiled and entitled but surely they just want to be entertained

I've seen some Newcastle fans hoping for relegation in the hope that it means the departure of Ashley as well as Bruce, they dislike Ashley that much that some of them want him to fail even if means their club also fails as a consequence, I guess they feel it would be for the longer term benefit if it meant him selling. Even saw a few of their fans calling the Liverpool game 'a must not win' game.

Edited by useless

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

yes I think so, problem is I dont think he would sack Bruce. But he has ruined football for a large portion of Newcastle fans, look some people might think they are spoiled and entitled but surely they just want to be entertained

As a Villa fan, would you rather be entertained in the Championship or tread water in the Premier League? 

The Ashley/Bruce situation reminds me of the Lerner/Lambert era. Both have destroyed the enjoyment of football for their respective fanbases. 

• Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Ah well.

Yes getting rid of Ashely is #1. But he owns the club. You can't get rid of him.

So getting rid of Bruce would be a close #2. By any means necessary.

5 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

As a Villa fan, would you rather be entertained in the Championship or tread water in the Premier League? 

I'd rather watch us try to play football in League Two than ever have Steve Bruce back. That wasn't football. Plus he was telling everyone how good it was and his journalist mates were parroting it.

word removed.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd rather watch us try to play football in League Two than ever have Steve Bruce back. That wasn't football. Plus he was telling everyone how good it was and his journalist mates were parroting it.

word removed.

Disagree with sentence one. 

Wholeheartedly agree in sentence two!

27 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I'd have taken relegation with Smith over Sam Allardyce 🤷‍♂️

I think there's a growing contingent of fans who aren't happy merely being in the PL, the romance of it has gone thanks to this big 6 bollocks, VAR, the absurd money and the corruption conspiracy theories

So the actual quality of football that you play has a huge significance on your enjoyment of football not the league you're in

Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis etc nobody wants them anymore 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

well we just had that situation and yes, it was much more fun being a contender in the Championship than watching us sleep walk to an eventual relegation. All them goalless games under Lambert

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Xela said:

The Ashley/Bruce situation reminds me of the Lerner/Lambert era. Both have destroyed the enjoyment of football for their respective fanbases. 

Yep. 

I'd have taken relegation to have removed Lerner at one point. 

And in hindsight it worked. Relegation, allowed us to rebuild, gave us some entertaining times and put us in position to succeed now. I know we've been fortunate and it doesn't always work at that way. But had Lerner stayed I doubt I'd be paying any attention to villa at the moment. 

Him and Lambert nearly killed me off. 

• Like 1

No matter how bad an owner or manager I think wishing for relegation to remove them is a hugely flawed logic particularly in the current climate.

Yes we got rid of Lerner but he was desperate to get out, our relegation was the result of his attempt to do so we didn’t get rid because of it. Or at least not directly.

We also ended up with Xia and Bruce so definitely a case of careful what you wish for, between them we almost went to the wall.

Im sure Sunderland fans probably thought relegation might sort them out and they would be better off in order to get rid of Ellis Short. 

I even saw Blues fans saying they want to get rid of their owners so would accept relegation seemingly unaware of the dire consequences that would have for them in their current state.

Relegation is always damaging and dangerous, it’s hard to deal with at any time and hard to bounce back. It’s even worse at the moment with COVID, no fans, reduced revenue and all the other associate issues.

Ashley just wants to stay in the PL which is why he appointed Bruce and he will probably do it this season but in the medium to long term he will do more harm than good and things will turn toxic with the fans. 

• Like 1

Mike Ashley stuck around both previous times they were relegated. He didn’t sanction a fire sale either, he retained most of the squad and they bounced back at the first time of asking both times.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Mike Ashley stuck around both previous times they were relegated. He didn’t sanction a fire sale either, he retained most of the squad and they bounced back at the first time of asking both times.

That is true, which was the sensible business decision to protect his investment. I think it’s what most owners would do if they were financially able and were committed to ownership.

Im not though sure this would apply a third time. I think the financial landscape is very different, Ashley clearly is eager to exit in a way he wasn’t at that time and I think it’s less certain that he would be willing or able to make the same financial decisions as he did previously.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

Ah well.

Yes getting rid of Ashely is #1. But he owns the club. You can't get rid of him.

So getting rid of Bruce would be a close #2. By any means necessary.

A cabbage normally does it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

No matter how bad an owner or manager I think wishing for relegation to remove them is a hugely flawed logic particularly in the current climate.

Yes we got rid of Lerner but he was desperate to get out, our relegation was the result of his attempt to do so we didn’t get rid because of it. Or at least not directly.

We also ended up with Xia and Bruce so definitely a case of careful what you wish for, between them we almost went to the wall.

Im sure Sunderland fans probably thought relegation might sort them out and they would be better off in order to get rid of Ellis Short. 

I even saw Blues fans saying they want to get rid of their owners so would accept relegation seemingly unaware of the dire consequences that would have for them in their current state.

Relegation is always damaging and dangerous, it’s hard to deal with at any time and hard to bounce back. It’s even worse at the moment with COVID, no fans, reduced revenue and all the other associate issues.

Ashley just wants to stay in the PL which is why he appointed Bruce and he will probably do it this season but in the medium to long term he will do more harm than good and things will turn toxic with the fans. 

Yes, I was just thinking it would be hilarious if Ashley sold them to a Xia type chancer. 

I also remember Sulivan making some veiled comment about giving the Blues fans what they wanted when he sold up to crooks as well. 

It's a real toss of a coin when you change owners. 

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Yes, I was just thinking it would be hilarious if Ashley sold them to a Xia type chancer. 

I also remember Sulivan making some veiled comment about giving the Blues fans what they wanted when he sold up to crooks as well. 

It's a real toss of a coin when you change owners. 

I’ve always thought there was some malice in that sale.

Â