Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

15 hours ago, Davkaus said:

There's plenty of reasons to dislike Newcastle, but their support is phenomenal

It is. They've won nowt for donkey's years, and not looked like doing so for most of the recent times. Since they went up under Keegan and their support at games rocketed it's been absolutely excellent, numerically. Facts is facts and their gates are deserving of a better side. I know it's commonplace to ridicule them, but my experience of their fans, particularly talking to them in pubs and so on before games is that they're a good bunch, too, I suppose to be fair there's also a fair few clowns, but overall they're alright in my book.

It's their owners and some of their managers and other staff that are the comedy element in my book, as well as perhaps a bit of a feeling from some of the forums that "you're supposed to love us, not take the mick out of us" - a bit over-sensitive, maybe.

Can't say as I think much of Benitez, from his antics at Liverpool, but he'll probably sort them out, if he's allowed the time.

I think Dem's right as well. It's a different situation at Villa, but a club that's been as abject on and off the field as Villa have, not having won a game for 6 months - all LL and no CoolJ - getting a good crowd for a game v Rotherham should also count itself as very lucky to have the fans it does.

• Like 3

Did anyone listen to 6-0-6 on Saturday? The first caller was a Geordie. He said he hadn't wanted Benitez, and would have preferred Ian Holloway. Then he said - to Robbie Savage - that he wanted a Savage-type figure to come in and boss the players around. 

They really do have some special folk on that phone-in. 

9 hours ago, gharperr said:

difference between "quite impressive"  and "just as impressive"

pointing out that its not "just as impressive" isnt being negative towards villa fans...

Don't agree but each to their own I guess :thumb:

I think they're lacking leaders on the pitch and Championship experience  and quality in defence.

Richie is an excellent signing, but I think their fans are falling into the trap of thinking the players that took them down, when not expected to, will take them back up again.

It's easy to say after they lost their first two games, but they're not going to have it all their way this season, although it's difficult to not see them near the top of the league. I've sensed some arrogance from some of their fans.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

Did anyone listen to 6-0-6 on Saturday? The first caller was a Geordie. He said he hadn't wanted Benitez, and would have preferred Ian Holloway. Then he said - to Robbie Savage - that he wanted a Savage-type figure to come in and boss the players around. 

They really do have some special folk on that phone-in. 

I won caller of the week once :(

(I never did receive my talksport goodie bag)

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Really not sure what to think of Rafa. Obviously he should be more than good enough at a club like Newcastle who're one of the favourites to go up, but he's pretty much failed at his last 4 jobs.

Never been the same since the split with Pako.

He will turmn it around I am sure of that, thats why I am not paying too much attention to it. People are talking about us and Newcastle but Norwich seem to be going under the radar. They look pretty solid as well.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

He will turmn it around I am sure of that, thats why I am not paying too much attention to it. People are talking about us and Newcastle but Norwich seem to be going under the radar. They look pretty solid as well.

I'm sure he will but it's a horrific start.

As for Norwich not sure that's true they are one of the favourites and a lot of people's favourite because of the nature of their team/squad and the lack of the rebuilding job.

All the talk about their great support....fair enough. 

I just wondered what if Newcastle was a two team city......as it is,  50k footy fans have only one choice of venue for their fix <_<

12 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

All the talk about their great support....fair enough. 

I just wondered what if Newcastle was a two team city......as it is,  50k footy fans have only one choice of venue for their fix <_<

Well quite, swap Villa and Newcastle geographically and Villa would be pulling in 50k crowds.

Their support is fantastic, but there's a very logical reason why it is. 

• Like 4

19 hours ago, colhint said:

the other thing with our location and there's is it's not just the number of teams, in the area, but 5 of them have won a major trophy since newcastle did

Derby, Leicester and Forest have all won titles+ and they're all within 30-50 miles. Boro is considered a big local derby and they're 30 miles away from Newcastle. Absolutely nothing up there.

Â