Chop chop! Lets all gawp at Newcastle (again)

Jimzk5

On 17 August 2016 at 11:17, LondonLax said:

Yes but,you are forgetting to account for the difference in population density of the two areas. The midlands can support a lot of teams because it has a huge population. The northeast has a relatively tiny pool of supporters to draw from. It might be a large area when looking on a map but there are a lot less people up to draw support from there then there is in the midlands. 

Their support is more impressive than ours but there is no shame in acknowledging it.  

Population of Newcastle is around 500.000 which supports one club. Population of Birmingham is 1.1m which supports two teams with a third team on the Birmingham border. Or you could say their main catchment area is Tyneside,population around 1m which only has one football club. County of West Midlands has a population of nearly 3m but has six football clubs in that area. They have six clubs in a 60 mile radius and we have about 18 clubs. We are closer to other big clubs so prone to more glory hunters and also immigration in the west mids alone is sky high and that will effect support. Sorry for boring you :D

Edited by Rugeley Villa

The thing with the North east is due to its isolation the football teams take on a lot of identity for Boro, Newcastle and Sunderland.

You very rarely get gloryhunters up there...it's just not the acceptable thing.

Whereas I've never really felt Brum is a football city...yes you have our hardcore and the hardcore of other clubs and then lapsed fans who turn up when they feel like it or who the opposition is but beyond that plenty of fans who live in this area who support other teams either through moving up here or just gloryhunting.

Yeah I'd go with that aswel. Football up there does seem more of a priority and I think you do find that the bigger the city the less football takes priority. I think if Newcastle were where we are they would not pull in the crowds they do, and that's not to dismiss the fact that they do pull in great crowds now but for the most part they have always been well supported up in the north east. They have 8.000 kids season tickets that work out at £3 a game and also thousands of adult season tickets that work out at £14 a game. Also match day tickets are 50% cheaper than they were a few years ago.

Sunderland's tickets are very well priced aswell... I paid 25 quid last season to watch them play Arsenal.

The economy in Brum is on a par with North East and yet I'd estimate our tickets in the prem were on average a tenner more than Newcastle and Sunderland in most parts of the ground.

On 8/25/2016 at 20:49, Rugeley Villa said:

Yeah I'd go with that aswel. Football up there does seem more of a priority and I think you do find that the bigger the city the less football takes priority. I think if Newcastle were where we are they would not pull in the crowds they do, and that's not to dismiss the fact that they do pull in great crowds now but for the most part they have always been well supported up in the north east. They have 8.000 kids season tickets that work out at £3 a game and also thousands of adult season tickets that work out at £14 a game. Also match day tickets are 50% cheaper than they were a few years ago.

West Brom are a bigger club than them though. ;)

• Like 1

On ‎25‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 20:49, Rugeley Villa said:

They have 8.000 kids season tickets that work out at £3 a game and also thousands of adult season tickets that work out at £14 a game. Also match day tickets are 50% cheaper than they were a few years ago.

If they do, then that's brilliant. Well done Newcastle.

• Like 1

signing Atsu and Mcmanaman now which are interesting signings, Atsu will tear up league though dont know how they will take to Mcmanaman since he fell out with Newcastle No.1 son John Carver

• 2 weeks later...
Â