Christian Benteke

Kwan

Kendrick has released his latest report. Lets hope we pull them both off (also posted on the Bennett thread)

PAUL Lambert is preparing to submit a bid for Middlesbrough left-back Joe Bennett and make an improved offer for Genk striker Christian Benteke on Wednesday.

Bennett is the defender Villa are now chasing ahead of Friday’s transfer deadline after their pursuit of Ipswich’s Aaron Cresswell met with frustration.

According to sources on Teesside the 22-year-old is rated at £2.5 million and the claret and blues are belived to be planning to lodge an offer in that region.

Villa will also make a renewed bid for Belgium international frontman Benteke after an initial offer, understood to be £5 million weas rejected yesterday.

Lambert was characteristically playing his cards close to his chest when asked about both transfer targets after the Capital One Cup win over Tranmere. 

Asked about Bennett, the Villa boss replied: “Hopefully something might happen on that. Has a bid gone in? Near enough. 

“It’s like Benteke, there’s no point in me really talking about it until I know. I think it’s unfair on Aston Villa, unfair on Middlesbrough, unfair on Genk and unfair on the lads themselves.”

Benteke is keen on a move to Villa, but contrary to some reports yesterday the 21-year-old targetman, who has scored three goals in five games, has not gone on strike from the Belgian top flight club Genk.

Speaking about Benteke, Lambert said: “It’s not something I’ve thought about because I’ve had the game. I’ll wait and see. 

“There’s no point me talking about it until something happens.

“We’ve just got to try ans see where we are with Genk, they’ll probably throw the ball back in our court. 

Lambert, who has held fresh transfer discussions with the Villa board, admitted the last week of the transfer window can be fraught with difficulties.

“If we can do something with a few then we’d like to try and do it,” he said.

There’s three days to go and it’s hard at times because the time is shorter, things go for you and go against you and then they go on and it’s been like that. So I’ll wait and see.

“I had to be fair to the players that were here to see what they were like. 

“It’s an exciting challenge for us to try and turn it around and hopefully we’ll be ok and it won’t be for the lack of trtying.

“We’re trying at the minute with a few and I’m just going to wait to see if anything happens.”

Villa have had no enquiries about unwanted full-backs Alan Hutton and Stephen Warnock, with Lambert adding: “No, none. 

“I haven’t thought about one thing other than trying to get people into the club. I can’t do anything if the phone doesn’t go, you have to wait and see. Maybe their agents are doing things, I don’t know.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2012/08/28/aston-villa-to-step-up-chase-of-christian-benteke-and-joe-bennett-on-wednesday-97319-31716880/

“I had to be fair to the players that were here to see what they were like."

PL's correct to do this and it maybe has backfired a little but at least he knows what we need and where to strengthen.

Trouble is we've got stuck in a cycle of doing this every summer.

At least Lambert had good sense not to give Warnock etc "another go" these guys seriously taking the piss - really wish that all Premier league players HAD to have a clause in their contract saying if you don't play at all in a season and you are not injured you only get 50% of your wages or something like that

PL's correct to do this and it maybe has backfired a little but at least he knows what we need and where to strengthen.

I disagree - considering the amounts were spending. If he thinks Joe Bennet is a good full back at £2.5m we should have brought him a couple of weeks back.

I disagree - considering the amounts were spending. If he thinks Joe Bennet is a good full back at £2.5m we should have brought him a couple of weeks back.

He was injured so it wouldn't have made any difference!

Thing is we don't know who we were trying to sign. Bennet might be the target now because options a,b and c fell through. Equally we could have been thinking e'd be ok and the last 2 games have persuaded Randy to spend more cash.

Actually I think we have a few strikers lined up just in case and journos have obviously got hold of the information. AVFC really want Benetke and player really wants to come. That usually results in a transfer. Dont think Genk will want to keep hold of a unhappy player and £7m estimated is a lot of money for them.

Been linked with 2 other forwards now - sadly I think this one will bite the dust soon.
Funny I dont think that at all

This sounds like good news to me, along with someone saying Genk have confirmed Benteke isn't in the squad tomorrow.

Been linked with 2 other forwards now - sadly I think this one will bite the dust soon.
Funny I dont think that at all

Me neither.

Are you about to welcome him?

Not quite a Hong Kong Phuey moment yet but you never know

Â