Christian Benteke

Kwan

Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

The ball is in Genk's court, #avfc have made an improved offer on their original one and would go a bit higher, but won't be held to ransom

2m Mat Kendrick ‏@MatKendrick

My understanding of the Benteke situation is that #avfc still want him, but if Genk continue to demand too much they will look elsewhere

I'm not sure how the Guardian would know that. I imagine they are just guessing as we've had a bid rejected and now it's gone quiet.

I will only remotely believe articles that come from Kendrick or Nursey when it comes to papers.

Hope your right - but a couple of places are reporting it. Genk don't the cash either as apparently they have sold a couple for big money this summer.

Think this needs a 'Lambo Stare' to get it moving.

The ball is in Genk's court, #avfc have made an improved offer on their original one and would go a bit higher, but won't be held to ransom

If We have an improved offer and Kendrick knows we are prepared to go higher then why would he make it public. Clearly Genk won't accept our current bid now!!!

Leaving things this late and when your club is so obviously desperate for a player in this position doesn't put you in a strong place when negotiating.

Out of all the strong links to players, this is the one we need to pull off.

I worry about the 'ball being in genks court'

They don't want to sell him

They don't need the money

He's got 3 years left on his contract

They only have to sit tight for 48 hours - and get the player out of his strop !

Is he even a target man? I don't really see what the fuss is about him. He doesn't exactly come with a excellent scoring record in a poor league. Also doesn't seem that highly rated by fans of his club. People comparing him to the likes of Cisse are mad. Cisse had an excellent scoring record in Germany

If We have an improved offer and Kendrick knows we are prepared to go higher then why would he make it public. Clearly Genk won't accept our current bid now!!!

Because he's a reporter, not an employee of Villa.

He looks a good player, hopefully they accept an improved offer, he'd add versatility to our front-line.

Seems like he wants to come to us and is unhappy with what's going on currently, although I always take reports about players stropping in situations like this with a pinch of salt.

Would actually prefer Zarate if there is any truth in that rumour.
Maybe we're after both? They're not really similar players are they?

No they do completely different jobs, Zarate Plays of the Striker. We would have some strike force, Zarate playing just behind..

A front 3 of:

Bent--Benteke

Zarate

Exactly. I'd be concerned if we couldn't get Benteke but then went for a completely different striker instead. Lambert knows what he wants so i'm hoping it's both. A big problem for the last 40 games has been scoring goals so if we can get 2 forwards of differering types that should really help.

Hopefully we can wrap this one up, it'll most likely roll on until tomorrow, I imagine he's already in the country going through the formalities, and is just waiting for Villa and Genk to agree a fee, I think that's the norm in these late deals.

Villa were today prepared to pull the plug on a move for Genk striker Christian Benteke unless the Belgian club lower their price.

The claret and blues have submitted an improved offer of around £6m for the 21-year-old but it is claimed that Genk have nearly doubled the price for the Belgium international.

Villa chiefs have not given up hope of a deal being struck but they will not be held to ransom by Genk for a player who is seen as talented but relatively unproven.

Benteke is understood to be eager to force the move through and is unlikely to be involved in Genk’s Europa League clash with Lucerne tonight after he missed training.

Should the move collapse Lambert may turn his attentions to Lazio’s Argentine forward Mauro Zarate, who had a loan at Birmingham City in 2007-08, after speculation in Italy linked him with a move to Villa Park.

FatherAbraham at the Express and Star

Â