Christian Benteke

Kwan

The back page of The Sun today

172.gif

& no, I didn't buy it, saw it at work, and put it down sharpish before anyone (mostly Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal fans in the office, with a few noses too) could say 'OOO HE'S OFF THEN IS HE', etc.

Edited by hogso

HArdly quotes that suggest he is going nowhere.

Of course his agent is going to tell him he's got options, but doesn't sound like anything different than any other in demand player.

For the Benteke situation, read Bale at Spurs or Felaini at Everton.

Of course his agent is going to tell him he's got options, but doesn't sound like anything different than any other in demand player.

How can you compare Bale and Benteke ? Bale would be a lot more in demand as he has proved himself more than one season. Bale hasn't got the past benteke has got. Bale also has been questioned a number of times about his future and has kept his cards close to his chest... two completely different situations.

Edited by kevangrealish

How can you compare Bale and Benteke ? Bale would be a lot more in demand as he has proved more than one season. Bale hasn't got the past benteke has got. Bale also has been questioned a number of times about his future and has kept his cards close to his chest... two completely different situations.

I meant in the comparison in the media speculation way, as opposed to the attributes of the players.

I think I will wait for something a bit more concrete before I panic over Benteke leaving. On a wider issue its a bit annoying that when Spurs sell their top players the media say ' that Levy drives a hard bargain, arent they a  big team?' and when Villa sell their top players its ' west midlands side is a selling club'

Don't know whether he will go or not but I find it hard to get carried away about any player that we have unless he's come through our academy like Gabby, because you know he's going to leave at some point. If he does go its very important that we get a really good price for him: 25 mill is crap for a player of his ability. Then we have to be allowed to reinvest that money. If we don't then even I will loose respect for Lerner. If we do loose Benteke, its crucial we don't loose Weimann as well. Its the forwards that kept us up. To loose 2 of them would  be a disaster.

They hardly scream he's leaving either.

No but at the top of the article it syis Lambert suggests he is going nowhere.

He seems less certain than he was a week ago. Hes off!

Benteke says if they want me to stay I will not force a move away.

Lambert says he has asked Benteke to stay.

From those two statements, he will stay, but this depends now on Lerner and Faulkner accepting bids. Its as simple as that really. If we accept bids then he will talk to the clubs in question, if we dont then he has no problem and he is happy here.

If the men upstairs do truly trust Lambert then I would assume offers will be rejected. Accepting could actually cause problems between the board and PL.

PL also says they've spoken about extending his contract, not just a pay rise. CB agent says he is happy here too.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

One thing I can be pretty sure is that Lambert already has a list of players he would sign if Benteke went.  He knows it's all part of the plan, and to have a player whose value he has quadrupled in one season just shows how well it's worked so far.  Lambert will move on.  Hopefully Benteke just signs a new contract with us but if not I would say he could have more to lose than us.  If he went to a top 4 club and didn't score in his first 3 games, he'd be benched and his chances of the World Cup would be damaged. He has improved through game time and he would have to choose his next club very wisely.

From those two statements, he will stay, but this depends now on Lerner and Faulkner accepting bids. Its as simple as that really. If we accept bids then he will talk to the clubs in question, if we dont then he has no problem and he is happy here.

If the men upstairs do truly trust Lambert then I would assume offers will be rejected. Accepting could actually cause problems between the board and PL.

PL also says they've spoken about extending his contract, not just a pay rise. CB agent says he is happy here too.

None of what CB has directly said or what has been written (mostly via translation and/or out if context) means he is definitely staying or definitely leaving, but I think many will find the comment above far too reasoned for VT! I wonder why the media don't run with this side of the story?

None of what CB has directly said or what has been written (mostly via translation and/or out if context) means he is definitely staying or definitely leaving, but I think many will find the comment above far too reasoned for VT! I wonder why the media don't run with this side of the story?

Because the media want a good story, no doubt if he signs an extension they will run the story about how CB is a credit to the game sticking with us and turning down a move.

As it stands, the media are the ones pushing for a move, not CB.

When Ever we have been in this situation before - the player has moved on.

If he does - I just hope its sorted early - with Lamberts blessing, and he gets all the money to reinvest.

I would consider £30m anyway - we are never going to get more than that for him. Gabby's form towards the end of the season makes me wonder if at long last he could play the main striker role.

He's not the messiah !

He's a very naughty boy

But he was our messiah this season

Take away his goals and what he adds to the side and where would we be

We would be relegated, but we would have also played a whole season with 10 men, and I can't see Lambert doing that.

It's an interesting tactic, but I don't think Lambert will try it.

• Like 1

What we really need is for him to come out and say he is staying and that he owes us, a bit like Downing. :)

Footballers are only in the game for themselves, almost without exception.

I'm sure he wants to play at a better level for a bigger club and earn more for doing it while hopefully winning a few things rather than carrying a team to keep them up.

I can't say I really blame all that much but it would be nice if he just kept his mouth shut.

If he does go I just hope the club get his true value.

Best we can hope for is another 12 months, lets hope we get that.

When Ever we have been in this situation before - the player has moved on.

If he does - I just hope its sorted early - with Lamberts blessing, and he gets all the money to reinvest.

I would consider £30m anyway - we are never going to get more than that for him. Gabby's form towards the end of the season makes me wonder if at long last he could play the main striker role.

False.

Barry stayed an extra year. Yeah he went after that, but I think we all expect Benteke to go next season anyway.

If we want him to stay, he will stay.  Years on his contract, (unlike Young) and its unlikely we will get a ridiculous offer for him (unlike Downing).

The only reason Benteke will leave is if Lambert ok's it and is able to use the £20,000,000+ money for new players.

I think he will stay for another 12 months and leave with our blessing after the World Cup.

my take on it too

That's my hope and I think he'd be best served by doing that, but I'm less convinced of it now than I was say this time last week.

Somewhere between £24m and £28m seems about right to me.

I applaud his honesty. Even when he signed he made it clear he wanted to move to bigger and better things.

Â