Christian Benteke

Kwan

With reference to Paul Lambert's comments i dont think he is someone you should get on the wrong side of. He can make your life a very uncomfortable one, just ask Darren Bent. It is clear that Villa are not impressed by the comments made but I do think he will be here next season anyway. Although I think 25-30 million is silly money for a player that has had one good season in the premier league. I Would be happy enough to sell at that sort of price.

He is happy to stay and he is happy to go if we are happy to let him go.  That equals go.  We will get offered enough money, as will CB and his agent.  No hard feelings it is the reality of football today.  Money talks and all that fuzzy stuff about opportunities to progress and being happy at a club etc are all trumped by big wads of cash now.  It will be good for all concerned and I hope the amicable nature of the negotiations (and I believe these various comments are exactly that: the opening salvos of the negotiations) continue over the summer.  I would hate to see him get an offer from a big club, have his head turned and start putting pressure on us to bring our asking price down.  I hope that won't happen, but it will not be unexpected if it does.  People can act real funny over money and there is plenty of the summer left for all this to turn a bit sour.

correct me if i'm wrong! but was it not a sun reporter who said he made those comments? what's a sun reporter doing in New York, well he's not there to cover USA V Belgium, pretty sure this is all cock & bull. probably his agent trying to arouse intrest before he signs a one year extension on his three year contract, i'm sure if Bent,Given,Ireland and N'zog leave plus Dunne is also out we can afford to pay him £70/80K a week plus he is assured regular first team action, No way will Arsenal pay £25M for him and as for Spurs and Dortmund i doubt that too. He could well end up keeping Milner company on the bench.

GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER AT VILLA PARK. UTV

Been mulling it over all day and, in all seriousness, Bentekes 'possible' departure does'nt disappoint me in the same way that Downings stab in the back did. The boys done good...real good...in his brief time here and its been a joy to see. Our problem (if it is a problem) is that he's simply turned out to be some player, with one hell of a future in the game and we've just about scraped thru another season of dallying with relegation. And lest we ever forget, were it not for his goals, we'd probably be playing Championship football next season.

Now, to my mind, the decision lies with Christians ultimate career aims. Is he determined to be fast-tracked to Champions League benchdom, or has he serious ambitions to star at the World Cup with whats looking to be a very good Belgian side? If its the latter, then I'm sure he's level-headed enough to see the benefits of remaining at Villa, where he has set out his stall perfectly for the selectors (and ultimately any would be future employers down the line). And demonstrating a modicum of loyalty to us would'nt harm his chances of moving on to a bigger club who might be reluctant to sign him otherwise, maybe?

I just don't know when I'll be more gutted to see him go....now, or in another years time. C'est la vie.

• Like 1

There is a simple answer, sign the talent quicker than the other talent wants to leave

It's about being on the front foot.

In the past, we have sat back and applauded ourselves for the odd good signing.... Now it's time to shape up and have a conveyor belt full of them.

Lambert has the talent to do it, if Lerner has the confidence to back him.

• Like 2

Why is it, whenever we get a top class player, the london media can't wait to get them away from us

Absolute words removed

It's called envy

When we won the European cup, we had about half an hours coverage..... It's quite laughable really.

There is a simple answer, sign the talent quicker than the other talent wants to leave

In the past, we have sat back and applauded ourselves for the odd good signing.... Now it's time to shape up and have a conveyor belt full of them.

its a little easier said than done!

No doubt, but you have to be confident

Who would have ever dreamed we could win the European cup...if you think you can you can, if you think you can,t you can,t.

The simple reason we have struggled in recent years is because we never had the talent spotting skills in the transfer market and signed players on the way down as opposed to on the way up.

Christian Benteke is a much better player at the end of our season than at the start... That is credit to him, our players and the coaching staff.

Parallels unseen since the Saunders days.

We are now starting to experience something special at our football club, of that I am sure.

I'm aware of not getting ahead of myself..... But I feel something special emerging.

I would be disappointed if Christian Left, both for him and for us..... But I am equally sure there is such an air of confidence moving about our club that special replacements will be shipped. In.

This club of ours is like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

I am expecting a very exciting change in a very unspectacular fashion.

No doubt, but you have to be confident

Who would have ever dreamed we could win the European cup...if you think you can you can, if you think you can,t you can,t.

The simple reason we have struggled in recent years is because we never had the talent spotting skills in the transfer market and signed players on the way down as opposed to on the way up.

Christian Benteke is a much better player at the end of our season than at the start... That is credit to him, our players and the coaching staff.

Parallels unseen since the Saunders days.

We are now starting to experience something special at our football club, of that I am sure.

I'm aware of not getting ahead of myself..... But I feel something special emerging.

I would be disappointed if Christian Left, both for him and for us..... But I am equally sure there is such an air of confidence moving about our club that special replacements will be shipped. In.

This club of ours is like a Phoenix rising from the ashes.

I am expecting a very exciting change in a very unspectacular fashion. In the next few years.

• Like 1

I'm actually happy to see him go now, provided that we get a good price for him.

I'm not at all convinced he'll do as well next year and, as long as the funds are re-invested, then I think our team could benefit overall from his departure.

We have £30m worth of talent upfront in the form of Benteke, that's atleast comparable to the cost of the rest of the first 11 put together. We are woefully lacking quality elsewhere in the team, and I think we'd be a far more balanced team if we were to re-invest the proceeds from Benteke into a £10m Centre half, £10m Centre mid and £10m replacement upfront. I'm aware things are far from being that simple, but it atleast demonstrates my point. Selling Benteke could help us address these areas, provided that the money is re-invested wisely, which I'm quietly confident of with Lambert in charge.

Football money doesn't work like that - if we get £27m for Benteke (it makes the sums simple) and take into account the £3m we won't be paying him over the next three seasons, the total benefit to the club is £30m.

If we go out and buy that £10m Centre half, he's going to want £50k a week for four years - he's a £10m Centre Half - that's a total of £20m of the money gone.

We could take the £10m we've got left and put Weimann on a new contract, or maybe buy a £5m player, but there wouldn't be enough to go out and get two more £10m players without a significant investment from elsewhere.

Sounds to me like Benteke is just laying out his cards on the table. If a big club comes in he wants to leave, end of.

This in a nutshell. A club has to come in for him for a starters. How many clubs have bid for Gareth Bale? There's plenty of players out there so it's not set in stone a bid will come in. 

Shocked he was only on 20k mind, aren't Gabby and co on like 50-60k? 

This stay to secure a World Cup place is just delusional bollocks on our part. That's just nonsense I'm sure he has enough faith in his ability to excel at any club, and rightly so.

We don't want to be accepting any less than £25 million though.

If he didnt care about us then he wouldnt have got his agent to talk to SSN. I think he will stay based on today's stuff.

or IMO his agent is trying to keep Bentekkes reputation intact.  Last thing Bentekke needs is to look like a trouble maker 2 years running.  It would certainly put off a few teams.

The only way he's staying with us after next year (if he has another great season) is if we finish top 4 and that ain't happening.

Even when we were close to finishing top 4 our best players wanted out, were a stepping stone club now

Truth is every team outside the top 2/3 is now a feeder club for the rest, i am afraid this is the natural consequence of current structure of football in the premier league

Even Man U are a feeder club, just look at Ronaldo...

Sounds to me like Benteke is just laying out his cards on the table. If a big club comes in he wants to leave, end of.

This in a nutshell. A club has to come in for him for a starters. How many clubs have bid for Gareth Bale? There's plenty of players out there so it's not set in stone a bid will come in. 

Shocked he was only on 20k mind, aren't Gabby and co on like 50-60k? 

This stay to secure a World Cup place is just delusional bollocks on our part. That's just nonsense I'm sure he has enough faith in his ability to excel at any club, and rightly so.

We don't want to be accepting any less than £25 million though.

It isn't that shocking really. Gabby has been established PL for some years and Benteke was a relative unknown playing in a small league.

correct me if i'm wrong! but was it not a sun reporter who said he made those comments? what's a sun reporter doing in New York, well he's not there to cover USA V Belgium, pretty sure this is all cock & bull. probably his agent trying to arouse intrest before he signs a one year extension on his three year contract, i'm sure if Bent,Given,Ireland and N'zog leave plus Dunne is also out we can afford to pay him £70/80K a week plus he is assured regular first team action, No way will Arsenal pay £25M for him and as for Spurs and Dortmund i doubt that too. He could well end up keeping Milner company on the bench.

GRASS IS ALWAYS GREENER AT VILLA PARK. UTV

Tell that to Jon Calderwood!

Â