Christian Benteke

Kwan

I can't even remember the last time I posted but thought I'd add something to this thread from the Guardian this morning.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/24/christian-benteke-aston-villa

Have a read of what his agent says at the bottom... Basically, reading that and what Belgium Guy said about it yesterday I'm not overly worried.

With summer coming and you being ginger and you are not worried? .....

• Like 2

No its journalists I hate, in this country the only teams that they are interested in are the ones from the capital, they have to speak about the other teams due to their following but invariably they always where possible big up the London teams and treat other teams as secondary.

One problem is they ask loaded questions, they ask them in different ways in different contexts so they can manipulate and misquote the answers, that is why I do not buy the papers anymore.

It could be that he was given a figure or offer and wanted more and was trying to raise the offer hence the agents quote about leaving it to him as that is his job, lets be honest footballers are not the best when it comes to dealing with the media, as for sky during the summer news is poor and slow so they will sensationalise any comment to make a story.

I will not worry until I hear otherwise.

• Like 1

Just seen the sky sports news app that's saying 'Benteke warns Villa'. It says that if a top club were interested and Villa say no then he won't necessarily accept Villa's decision to prevent him from leaving. I'm a little worried now...

Yes Rooney put in a transfer request at United as well - still there though, what context did he give his answer in, was he talking about now or in the future, same answer different meaning. could be he wants to go but until he says it publicly he gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Nice to see Liverpool fans are being deluded as ever

Why the hell would Benteke go there

Midtable club who are not even playing in Europe he may as well join the Baggies or Swansea

Half arsed club that used to be famous... He can go to any of the top 4 with my blessing and a hefty transfer fee of course but the likes of Liverpool can do one they only have 30 mill to spend anyway if rumours are true i can't see them spending there entire budget on 1 player...

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 2

1sec im in school atm having exams need to study i will respond later.

How old are you, BG? (genuine question!)

17 :) and you?

20. Will be 21 in a few months. A little surprised, always pictured you as a fairly old guy (and by old I really mean about 30)!

haha how is that so?

Not sure... but most of the people i meet on vt are older than me

1sec im in school atm having exams need to study i will respond later.

How old are you, BG? (genuine question!)

17 :) and you?

20. Will be 21 in a few months. A little surprised, always pictured you as a fairly old guy (and by old I really mean about 30)!

haha how is that so?

Not sure... but most of the people i meet on vt are older than me

I knew he was going to leave after one good season, so as long as we get a decent replacement in I don't care.

There is literally no point getting attached to any players. Apart from Gabby (who IMHO will never leave Villa unless he was pushed out of the door) they are all a bunch of prostitutes.

• Like 1

If Benteke sees it fit to forgo our best interests and force a move to a club that isn't offering up a value that's acceptable to us (I'd like to say £30m now that are finances are in order and we aren't struggling just to make ends meet) then I see no reason why we shouldn't go Dan Levy on his ass and hold him hostage as well. After his exploits last August, it should be obvious that Benteke is loyal to no one but himself. And, IMO, there's nothing inherently selfish to that, I think that blind loyalty to a club is stupid and naive. (Unless, of course, we're talking about a genuine homegrown product... something Benteke most certainly isn't) However, two can play at that game and I hope Benteke and his agent are in for long, drawn out, nasty battle before it's all said and done*.

*Unfortunately, Lerner will probably take the first offer north of £20m he gets because he's just trying to pay off his loans ASAFP.

Well where would we be this season without Benteke's goals?

I really hope gabby can step up to the plate and score enough to keep us in the division same goes for Weimann

Oh wait... he might be leaving as well

The way I see it he wants what is best for him - and that is the same for all footballers. 

I don't think we will see any club offering 25+ for him this year. Look how Liverpool got burned on Carroll and how Torres turned out. I think he needs to perform the same way for one more year to attract a serious bid like that. 

And if he does performe like this once again and Lambert sorts out the defence, there is every chance that we are much higger in the league. We should offer him Bents salary and add a year or two on his deal. 

I think now the lad will force a move if we reject any offers for him.

Someone will offer £15-20m, we will reject it, he'll throw his toys out of the pram, and then we will accept a higher offer. He did the same with Genk, he'll do the same with us.

The thing is he is under contract so if Villa say he aint for sale then it is against the rules to say you want him publically, Villa can say this then if he plays up keep him on the lower money and play him in the reserves, if he refuses to play then they take him down the discipline route fining him and recouping the wages, nasty but can be done and would poo poo his world cup plans. in Fairness as with SI PL has shown he will do this.

Lambert on Sky last night said something like "if one guy leaves and we can use the money to make the team better overall, that's fine"

I'm not too hung up on any one player wanting to move on, it's inevitable and they're not Villa fans they're just young guys wanting to make enormous amounts of money. Can't blame them, don't blame them.

Anyhow - remember last summer when everyone moaned about us signing a bunch of lower league and unknown foreign players? Who's to say with a £30m fee coming in for one player that we can't spend less than a third of that on a replacement for the one leaving and a few million here and there for some other improvements. Add on the fact we'll get a number of overpaid slackers off the books this summer we'll be quids in. Randy can start to repay his loans with the additional Sky money and Villa will end up with a load of young players with transfer profit potential, no debt, and hopefully a sustainably good squad built around getting the best out of a team rather than relying on one player.

I'm sure Benteke hasn't made his mind up yet; I agree that SSN opening up this morning's report more or less with "Benteke is leaving Villa" is ludicrous. However, he's already admitted to opening his mind up to it. To me, that means before September 1 he'll change his mind and decide he has to play for a CL club this season. A lot of this has to do with what Chelsea do with Lukaku; if he is loaned out to a CL side like a Schalke/Valencia or even an EL side, Benteke may feel that he also has to make a move up and play European football to stay #1 in the Belgian pecking order. (Edit: It should be obvious that Lukaku would probably rot away if kept at Chelsea because of Torres/Ba/whichever 30m forward they buy in the transfer window)

In any case, we've got 100-odd agonizing days of waiting to see how this all unfolds. Whatever happens, as long as we get more than 25m, I won't be too disappointed.

Edited by Caddy

Seriously, it's the same poorly translated article spun to give a headline of Benteke wanting out of Villa. The actual translation of the transcript does not say this. Throw in some leading questions from the interviewer and voila, you have every British paper and website cherry picking what they want to publish.

Not one of these articles mentions the part where he sys he's very happy here at Villa, and if we ask him to stay he will NOT force through a move. Why would they, it doesn't get anyone reading their paper, or clicking on their website.

Of course, everyone takes it as gospel despite when they read it!!

Next season, he could be even better - or he could have Marcus Stewart syndrome. He could be playing for Villa - or we could have a lot of cash to play with. Considering how Lambert has turned a £10m spend on Benteke, Lowton and Westwood in to £40m, I'm sure Lerner would actually want him to spend it - as his record suggests he'll make him more money again.

We hold all the cards here.

As posted above, you seriously cannot get attached to any players anymore. You just have to hope they do well while there in the claret and blue. They are commodities, assets on the balance sheet. If a club comes in with £30m or above then sell and move on, let lambert find the next set of recruits.

Ok now he is apparently naming Arsenal as an example of where he would "consider going"

LINK: http://tinyurl.com/p4ddxw9

Does not look good but hey ho....NEXT!

No thats the same interview we've been talking about, slightly reworded by the daily mail. Nothing has changed.

Apart from this bit

"""

""Meanwhile, in the Daily Express, he added: 'I hope that if I leave my  club a deal can be done more quickly than the one last year.

'There is no point in me getting into a tug-of-war with Villa, and I don’t think there is any need for one. If the chance comes up for me to join a club like Arsenal, I am convinced that we can reach a compromise where everybody comes out a winner.'""

No this is the same interview, they have swapped a few things around, they asked him in simple terms, will you push for a move to Arsenal, he said no however if a situation arises I am sure we can come to a compromise where 'Everyone' is happy, however I am happy to stay at Aston Villa for another 12months. The press have took bits they want to make the story. I have posted the transcript in earlier pages.

• Like 1

If he's already thinking about leaving after one season (and won't shut up about it from looking at those articles) we should get shot of him to be fair. No player is bigger than the club, especially some 22 year old with a dodgy agent and a history of forcing moves. I'd take the money and strengthen elsewhere, god knows we need it.

Â