Christian Benteke

Kwan

It was a little sad to read that but the fact is all he's said is that he supported Arsenal as a kid and idolised Henry. He hasn't said anything about wanting to leave us or just looking to use as a stepping stone, like that Agbo kid the other day. The quotes themselves are not exactly damning and the article comes to the usual tabloid conclusions. Don't care.

Ahh, ffs overreaction. So what? We´d better get used to this, young players from abroad doesnt dream of playing for Aston Villa FC, they will use us as a stepping stone for bigger clubs. Thats modern football for you.

It´s up to the club to make the most of it, sell him with a big profit when the time comes, invest the money and progress as a club.

Get used to it, it will happen again.

Absolutely - so what if he's an Arsenal fan? Do we expect every player to say 'always loved Villa, it's a dream to play for them''???

Villa have a great European history but it's just that, a history! We've not performed in Europe for years so don't expect many young players to know of our prestige and only know about the Sky 4 that'll been rammed down their throats every five minutes.

Benteke is doing just fine at the moment, if in two years he's bagged us 20 goals per season and someone offers us silly money, then he'll move on (unless the team are doing well and competing near the top again) and it'll be win-win for all and sundry.

Its the kind of thing that we know most players think - Which player wouldn't choose Arsenal over villa ?

Thinking it is one thing - saying it to the national media is another.

Much as we all want him to be a massive hit and score goal after goal for us - if that happens ..its only going one way.

He is playing very well for us at the moment - but not well enough to prompt the likes of Arsenal to come in and pay double what we paid for him.

Really can't see a lot wrong with what he's said there. He's an Arsenal fan, but we're the right club for him now. He's bang on when he says people can say worse things.

He'll be hitting 2 in every game against Arsenal now. Look at Barry v Spurs, Lescott v us etc.

Sorry but you can't defend those quotes.

There is actually no reason at all to say anything like that.

And that's a perfect example as to why some have viewed his superb performances as a glass half empty.

Lets just hope we don't make a mess of replacing him when he finally does go.

He forced his clubs hand to join us in the first place, is anyone really surprised he is using us a stepping stone after what's gone on the last few yrs?Shock horror footballers lack common sense but are ambitious. So what, get a couple of yrs from him, sell for a high price and rebuild, all clubs do it... Mentioned before spurs did it with berbatov and carrick etc, why shouldn't we?

This is just a non story people get a grip! Firstly look who it is from the sun. They ahve hostory of twisting things. He probably said he supported Arsenal as a boy and always dreamed of playing for them as a youngster and they have twisted it. Also the point about ebing in London makes it sound like a joke but they ahve made it look serious.

Just stay calm people, how do you even know Arsenal would be interested in him? If he gives 100% on the pitch like he has done already I couldn't care less if he supported Arsenal

Meh, couldn't care less. All he's said is that Arsenal is the team he loves, not that he isn't enjoying being at the Villa or is looking to leave. It's silly to think that anyone apart from the academy players has any real love for a club they play for, which is true of almost any club on Earth.

Of our entire squad, how many do we think actually love the Villa and see us as their favourite club?

Christian has been great since he's been here, long may it continue.

edit: Also, he looks head and shoulders (no pun intended) above everyone else in the team at the moment, and he's still only 21. Unless we rocket up the league and get back in the Europa spots in the next year or so he will be moving on to a bigger club, that's just how it is.

Look at the first page of this thread. He said the same quote before he joined Villa.

We sold Platt and used the money to build a team that challenged for the title. If that is what happens with this kid Im all for it.

That utter lack of pretence is back. :lol:

Incidentally, I think people are fully justified if they want to be pissed. Yes, it's the Sun, yes, it's lunacy to expect every/any player that walks through the door to see the club the same way we do (with the exception of Robbie "1000 boyhood clubs" Keane), but these quotes (ergo not made up)...

“I’m not afraid of making enemies at Villa by saying I love Arsenal."

“One can say worse things. I’m a Villa player for now. They’re the right club at the right time.”

"I didn't know where they played. I thought they were a London club!"

..are at best ill-advised, at worst moronic. Especially 3 **** months in.

I don't read the sun on principle alone...

How they have the 'neck' to campaign as the 'people's paper' and be a 'family friendly' paper, crusading against the most topical 'scumbag of the month,' and then having a Page 3 model every day with her tits out, and once famously including an advertisement for thongs designed for preteens. Yes... do your homework folks. When England played Germany in Euro 1996, they had a front page with a WW2 helmet on the front - likening the football match to war... WTF? No need for it.

It's just 'kiss and tell sleeze journalism' - all the while pretending to be above the law. They just have their snouts in the trough.

Like any other sensationalist red top.

Back on topic, the Red Top has got a reaction from us all. It made us consider 'The Sun.' For now, he is a great player for US, as in Aston Villa. While he continues to produce, then he deserves a place in the team. He doesn't appear to have said 'Villa are bobbins and I think the club, it's fans and in fact the whole country is a bag of dead cats...' Lost in translation by an arrogant, probably London based Arsenal supporting journalist - with his snout in the trough. Nothing else to report, so let's have a dig at little old Aston Villa.

He will be too good for us. That much is clear...

I think my glass is a little fuller...

Â