Christian Benteke

Kwan

Talksport saying Man Ure have made an enquiry about Benteke. 

Bit of a non story from an unreliable source, mind.

Manchester United have enquired about Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke.

Louis van Gaal is looking to improve his striking options next season, following the departure of loanee Radamel Falcao, who has moved to Chelsea, while Robin van Persie's future at Old Trafford is far from certain.

Liverpool and Tottenham were thought to be leading the race for the Belgian, but United have been monitoring the situation.

talkSPORT understands the Red Devils have been put off by the forward's £32.5million release clause, but that does not mean it would be impossible to do a deal.

The former Genk hitman is not United's No.1 target, and they are reluctant to meet the Midlanders' valuation, but would consider an offer should they drop the asking price.

Alternatively, Van Gaal could be tempted to trade in one or two of his fringe players in a cash plus player deal.

Why on earth would we drop the asking price for them or for anyone else? They have the money as has been shown by their previous signings so if they do not think he is worth what he is worth to us then let them go for their other targets and the same applies to Liverpool who value Sterling so much higher than they do our man.

Benteke might want to go but we have been here before and I would be happy to see him sign another improved contract and play as well as he did for us after he signed the last one.  

Edited by John

I don't think he will be that silly to throw his toys out the pram with the Euros round the corner… 

Just when you think you're playing well…There is always a Gil round the corner sitting on his arse!

It's getting to the point where I'd be happy if we got £25m for him.

He's good, but not as good as him and his agent seem to think he is. It's funny, but I don't think we've ever had a concrete bid made for him.

I know that he scores some important goals for us, but when he is shite he is really shite, and now is the time to sell IMO if it is indeed true that he is refusing to sign a new deal.

I just hope that if he pulls any 'Strike' nonsense like he has done before, that we let him rot in the u21's!

That is true about when he plays crap. I think its times to sell as well, we need to start rebuilding and if he wants to go let him go.

We had legends leave before and we still standing. We are not a one man team

He is nowhere close to being a legend.
Would class Dean Saunders as a legend? 49 goals in 144 games compared to Christian's 49 goals in 101 games. Edited by Wainy316

Certainly my favourite striker since Yorke....and we've had some good ones in that time that also connected with the Holte End like JPA, Dublin and Carew.

Benteke is a cut above those lot really when you also consider the poor teams he's played in compared to pretty much every other major striker we've had in the last 20 years.

Of course not but it helps. With that in mind, has any striker got a goal rate equal to that in the prem for us? I don't think even Dwight got close to 1 in 2.

Aston Villa: Christian Benteke is Villa's best ever Premier League striker - and the stats support it
Our Aston Villa writer Gregg Evans takes a look at why Christian Benteke is Villa's most prolific Premier League striker

Christian-Benteke-celebrates-his-second-
Christian Benteke celebrates his second goal for Aston Villa in the draw against Queens Park Rangers

Christian Benteke is Aston Villa’s best ever Premier League striker. Fact.

The in-form forward has smashed 41 goals in just 86 top-flight appearances which makes him even more prolific than the great Dwight Yorke.

Only five players have scored more top-flight goals for the claret and blues than Benteke but his average of almost a goal every other game (0.48) makes him the most lethal.

Benteke goal/game ratio

Appearances

Goals

Average

Yorke (0.45) is close with 60 strikes in 133 games but the club’s leading Premier League marksman Gabby Agbonlahor (0.24) is some way off having bagged 73 goals in 304 games.

Dion Dublin (48) and Juan Pablo Angel (44) have scored more times than Benteke but already he’s gunning the pair down.

AngelYorkeDublin.jpgAston Villa's former Premier League strike trio - Juan Pablo Angel, Dwight Yorke and Dion Dublin

Having fired in 11 goals in his last nine games in all competitions he’s hoping to improve his ratio before the end of the season.

And should he feature in every remaining game this season his 100th Villa appearance will come in the final-day clash against Burnley.

Villa Park has seen some fine strikers over the Premier League years - Yorke, Atkinson, Saunders, and so on. Top of that list right now, though, is Benteke.

Tim Sherwood deserves credit for rejuvenating the striker who looked a shadow of his former self under the previous regime.

Christian-Benteke-of-Aston-Villa-L-celebChristian Benteke of Aston Villa (L) celebrates with Fabian Delph

He had managed to score just three goals in 18 games before Paul Lambert was sacked but Sherwood lifted his spirits and got him firing on all cylinders.

Benteke is now a man in demand - just like he was after his debut season.

Europe’s top clubs are once again interested in his services and Villa will have a tough job holding onto their prized asset this summer.

Captain Fabian Delph has paid tribute the goalscoring ace for the work he has put in to get back to his best.

Darius-Vassell-celebrates-his-goal-again VIEW GALLERY

He said: “Christian is explosive. He is a top, top striker. He is a machine.

“He works every day in training. He works really hard out there. He gives it everything.

“It’s a pleasure to play with him. He is a great player - and also a great guy.”

Clicky

• Like 1

It's getting to the point where I'd be happy if we got £25m for him.

He's good, but not as good as him and his agent seem to think he is. It's funny, but I don't think we've ever had a concrete bid made for him.

I know that he scores some important goals for us, but when he is shite he is really shite, and now is the time to sell IMO if it is indeed true that he is refusing to sign a new deal.

I just hope that if he pulls any 'Strike' nonsense like he has done before, that we let him rot in the u21's!

That is true about when he plays crap. I think its times to sell as well, we need to start rebuilding and if he wants to go let him go.

We had legends leave before and we still standing. We are not a one man team

He is nowhere close to being a legend.
Would class Dean Saunders as a legend? 49 goals in 144 games compared to Christian's 49 goals in 101 games.

Nope.

Its not just goals that make you a legend!

This.

prefer Chelsea to come in for him.. they will be straight cash and i can accept a big club like that taking him. Liverpool or Tottenham will just piss me off.

Also if they want to swap they have a few players that are more appealing.

• Like 1

12m + Dembele and Townsend would do me just fine.

You rate Dembele and Townsend as being worth 20mil? Really? Are you Levy?!

Both Dembele and Townsend have to be worth £10m each in this day and age I would have thought?

Not saying I would accept it, but the valuation can't be far off?

12m + Dembele and Townsend would do me just fine.

You rate Dembele and Townsend as being worth 20mil? Really? Are you Levy?!

Both Dembele and Townsend have to be worth £10m each in this day and age I would have thought?

Not saying I would accept it, but the valuation can't be far off?

I think they're worth closer to 10 combined. Both haven't shown much in quite a while now.

The paper is saying today the has been no enquiry so far. Looking at it I don't see any of the top 4 going for him because he probably wouldn't be a starter for any of them and other than city I can't see them paying £32 mil for a bench warmer. That leaves Liverpool and spurs realistically, Liverpool can't or won't pay his valuation. Spurs in my opinion would not be a big step up, it would be a very slight step but he will still never get champions league football there. Add to that they have Daniel levy doing deals for them and he seems to value players they don't want anymore about double there realistic value and a player we don't want to sell he seems to value about 10 millions less than we do. I know it can't happen but I would love us to say one club we will not be dealing with on this are Spurs.

Based on nothing other than my own warped thinking I'm struggling to see where he is going to go if he does leave us. However I would still be shocked if he was still at villa come January.

Â