Christian Benteke

Kwan

Why is Sherwood revealing that Benteke has a release clause? Stupid move to fuel more speculation before the FA- cup final. I'm still very sceptical about Sherwood, but I hope he proves me wrong. A win tomorrow win do much though. I think he was the right man for us in the position we were in this year, but I don't like him talking about things like this to the media before an important match.

If we do win the FA Cup I think he might just give us another year if we offer him the sort of money clubs that are looking at taking him off us would. Getting him to sign the last contract was no doubt dependant on the release clause and keeping him has kept us up and got us to Wembley this season.

If he did stay on a better contract we could possibly increase his release clause to £40m + and insert say a 15% sell on clause for the buying club like the one it seems we will have to pay from any transfer. 

If we do lose him and that would be a very sad day then I will be expecting us to spend the whole of his fee and a bit more in the summer window. Anything less than £40m spent would not be acceptable.  

I don't actually think Sherwood's comments are that silly. Firstly, if Benteke does have a release clause we can assume that every club with even the slightest interest in him will be made aware of it by his agent. Secondly, his logic is spot on in regards to staying another season and earning a move to a properly big club who will actually challenge for trophies and Champions League football consistently.

• Like 1

From RAWK

Does bone idle cover it better?

He's **** awful. A terrible fit, a bang average player who has done little to suggest he'd fit our style of play or ever adapt to a club with champions league aspirations.

At his best - he's a less active adebayor [and generally plays in 2 bursts of form over the season]. At his worst he's a poor balotelli. If the truth is somewhere in the middle of these two we should be **** no where near him.

Being marginally better than Lambert and Balotelli should not be the only thing we look for in transfer targets after that pigfuck of a season. 

I think if somebody asked me to write a couple of paragraphs describing the COMPLETE OPPOSITE of Benteke, I wouldn't be able to come up with anything better than the above.

• Like 4

I think all that Sherwood is doing is giving the player full respect and all the power to make his own decision while also seeding some serious doubt in that player's mind. It's probably the most he can do to keep him, and as for the release clause, well the fact it exists says as Sherwood says, the club have no power to keep him. Hope it's set at £40 mill.

• Like 1

If only Benteke can be shown that thread.. and what the liverpool fans think of him..  as soon as he hits a bad patch they will be all over him.

Stay where you are loved Christian until Real Madrid come calling ;)

The only reason I can think for saying that the day before the Cup Final is to make us the fans aware it maybe his last game and possibly also to give him a little extra motivation to put in one last match winning performance for us.

I dont think he'll be buying the Euros argument again as I'm sure that was put to him last time with the World Cup and look how that turned out.

He was always going to leave, been too good for a club with our current ambitions for a long time. Massive summer for us now we would have certainly been relegated in the last 3 consecutive years if it wasnt for him so replacing him and rebuilding is going to be absolutley crucial.

If only Benteke can be shown that thread.. and what the liverpool fans think of him.. as soon as he hits a bad patch they will be all over him.

Stay where you are loved Christian until Real Madrid come calling ;)

Slightly off topic but have we ever sold a player to Real Madrid before?

Not sure if its been mentioned but he has a buy out clause of 30 million. So if offers cone in which I'm sure they will, he's off. Sherwood reiterating there's nothing he can do if a bigger team cone in for him.

A part of me thought he'd stay. I don't know why.

I hope he goes Spain, Italy or Germany! I can't stand the idea of seeing him playing against us next season.

This is Yorke Mk2

Well fingers crossed he does a Yorke and scores his last Villa goal as the winner against Arsenal!

• Like 1

Don't if it's been posted but here's an old article in the daily mail, that says he has no 'release clause'.

"Aston Villa have pulled off a major coup by managing not to include a release clause in Christian Benteke’s bumper new contract."

• Like 1

Buy out clause doesn't mean that if someone meets it, he has to leave.

I think it will in this instance unfortunately :(

Yes but that will be his choice, if any old random club meets it then he can refuse it if he doesn't want to join them.

Don't if it's been posted but here's an old article in the daily mail, that says he has no 'release clause'.

"Aston Villa have pulled off a major coup by managing not to include a release clause in Christian Benteke’s bumper new contract."

Â