Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

1 hour ago, sne said:

So has he been fined by the club?

He will after all be ineligible to play for 6 games.

Bruce said last week he would fine him after the game. 2 weeks be the maximum anyway

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Bruce said last week he would fine him after the game. 2 weeks be the maximum anyway

He also said in the press conference this morning that Bacuna had received the maximum fine possible from the club.

He said he thought the punishment was harsh and he would be speaking with Steve Round and Keith Wyness today about whether to appeal - he said he was sure the decision would be made known today.

No announcement yet but personally I would prefer the club just dropped it. Getting ourselves into a position of seeking leniency for a player who barged a linesman and calling out other players, claiming their punishment was less harsh, is not a very grown up or dignified position for the club to take.

• Like 4

I'm not familiar with the other incidents discussed here, but I saw Bacuna and think he deserves whatever he gets and there can be a million reasons why the punishment differs from others. Bacuna's anger and verbal assault shocked me itself, and then I saw the chest bump. Beyond the pale, all of it. It doesn't matter if it was "dumb" or that some may think it was just an usual slip in judgement-a lot of crimes could fit that. It doesn't excuse him, it's precisely the reason he needs a large enough punishment to give him, and others, a reason to control themselves. I agree with others that don't think the club should appeal. Take this one and save making appeals for more ambiguous incidents. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

2 weeks wages plus a possible 6 match appearances lost. I think he has paid the price.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

He has made himself unavailable to fulfil the core activity for which his is employed, through his own actions.  What would happen in other situations?

If he tripped over and twisted his ankle, you'd pay him as normal.

If he was imprisoned for something, you'd take him off the payroll.

I think the second is the better comparison.  If it was my decision, I would take legal advice on the basis for not paying him at all while he is suspended.  Fining him is different, that's a disciplinary sanction.  I would go for having him off ths payroll for the period of the suspension, with a fine on top for bringing the club into disrepute.

1 hour ago, peterms said:

He has made himself unavailable to fulfil the core activity for which his is employed, through his own actions.  What would happen in other situations?

If he tripped over and twisted his ankle, you'd pay him as normal.

If he was imprisoned for something, you'd take him off the payroll.

I think the second is the better comparison.  If it was my decision, I would take legal advice on the basis for not paying him at all while he is suspended.  Fining him is different, that's a disciplinary sanction.  I would go for having him off ths payroll for the period of the suspension, with a fine on top for bringing the club into disrepute.

If it was your decision to make, then before long we would have a culture at the club where players are so afraid of their natural aggression spilling over on the pitch, important for any player to possess lest they become Ashley Westwood, that they would freeze in the moment. The team would suffer dire consequences as a result. Read Aston Villa of 15/16 for evidence.

There's a reason why most great sides, particularly overachieving ones, have a touch of 'nastiness' to their game. It's a physically competitive sport, where every inch counts and since the dawn of time competitiveness and aggression have gone hand in hand. This should be nurtured by a club like ours, turned into positive action and not completely prohibited.  

Once again I'm not suggesting Bacuna shouldn't be punished by the laws of the game. He has been, harshly. The club have fined him two weeks wages which also seems harsh to me, but is understandable as they need to be seen to act. By the same token, treating him like a criminal as you suggest would be borderline suicide for the well-being of the dressing room. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He's shite, he has contributed next to nothing this season. 

I thought for the role he was given on Saturday he did a good job for the team with his pressing.

We all know his passing is poor but he does bring energy.

Ironically I think he has many similar qualities to Hutton who is getting praised to high heavens atm.

• Like 2

And for the ban...I agree 6 games is harsh considering other punishments (4 seems to be the standard given it's what Wenger and Akpan did).

Can only assume the extra games for lack of contrition shown in his twitter posts e.g. no I apologise profusely to the linesman etc.

29 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He's paid the price, not sure why people are so keen to see our own player screwed as hard as possible, doesn't make any sense.

He's managed to achieve that all on his own without any help from anyone else.

If you are suggesting people should instead be pressing for him to be treated more leniently, well, sorry, no, I think that would put club and fans on the wrong side of the good.

39 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

If you are suggesting people should instead be pressing for him to be treated more leniently, well, sorry, no, I think that would put club and fans on the wrong side of the good.

Nope I didn't say that, I was merely saying the punishment fits the crime and that should be the end of it. Nothing more to say. When he comes back and is playing in a Villa shirt i for one will support him. 

Some people still want blood.

I used to care more, but we are facing a second season in the championship, we have suffered every form of humiliation possible, a passionate player bumping into a linesman barely makes me bat an eyelid these days, but that doesn't mean I condone it or am asking us to appeal.

Edited by VillanousOne

I really want to support all our players, especially if they give 100 %, like Bacuna did the last game he played. But I gave up on him a couple of years ago, I think it was at Fulham away when he played right back and played a couple of suicide passes straight into the middle of our own half, not only halting our attacks but gifting them clear chances. He then gave away a penalty, I don't remember if it was his trade mark arm-pulling or a clumsy challenge. I then started watching him more closely and he continues to do those things. He doesn't learn. I regard him as a ticking bomb on the pitch. The Stoke back pass last season and that throw in in another game of course put the focus on this and seemed extraordinary daft, but the thing is that if you watch his passing, he does similar things with headless passes regularly, it's just that most of the times a team mate manages to save the situation or the other team doesn't capitalise on it so it goes unnoticed. He is a liability, disrupts our play and harms the possibility of us playing good passing football. That's why I don't like him as a footballer, regardless of him having a good engine and can strike the ball quite hard.

Another aspect to why I don't like him - which is very subjective - is his bad ass style, having built so much muscles that he runs and moves like a penguin, often arguing with others with his cockey style and aggressive body language. I don't want our kids and youth players to look up to him and want to be like him.

I think his comments about a Champions League team was taken out of context and that doesn't matter to me, I quite understand him actually. Neither did his chest bump on the referee make me change my opinion, it just confirmed what I have thought about him over the last years both regarding his football and his personality, although it did take his headless behaviour to a new level.

I thought he had his best game for us in many years and I of cource appreciated that he gave 100 %. He did good at pressing, and he had a couple of bursts from the middle of the pitch that were eye-catching. But I disagree with Bruce consider him being MOM, in the same way I disagree with Bruce playing Gabby and praising Micah Richards.

I don't want him to be screwed as hard as possible. I just don't want him to represent Aston Villa. And I don't mind at all that he is suspended for 6 games, although it seems harsh compared to similar actions.  

Edited by Keener window-cleaner
(or well I did hope he got banned for the rest of the season or Villa career so I guess that would be regarded as getting screwed as hard as possible :-)
  • Like 1

He was dire last season, but his performances this season have been half decent, it doesn't really make up for last year's awfulness by any means, but he's tried to turn things round and all the suicide passes and daftness has not been repeated. The bumping a linesman thing has been the only real stupidity this season (i think anyway), granted it's bad though. 

8 hours ago, briny_ear said:

It was stupid but at least the guy showed passion. People moaning our players don't do show passion but from what I saw was from bacunas reaction was a guy desperate to win and end this shocking run.

I too agree with @VillanousOne why some of our own fans are wanting him to be punished severely for. It's ridiculous.

He has been fined two weeks wages and a 4 game ban at most is more than enough punishment.