Leandro Bacuna

Jordanderve

On 03/03/2017 at 10:40, villa89 said:

There's far too much talking back to officials, swearing, intimidation and a general lack of respect so I'm all for any punishments to try to curb it as it fliters down to all levels of the game. However the powers that be don't ever do anything meaningful to address it and this six game ban won't have any affect either. He deserves it though, if i was in charge it would be a longer ban and bigger fine.

I agree with all of that, with regard to their attitude towards match officials, players get away with to much, and i would wholeheartedly welcome more severe sanctions. 

What i don't like however is the inconsistencies in punishments for different incidents based on the clubs involved. For something to "filter down", it normally has to filter down from the top.  

Bacuna was an absolute dick and deserves a serious punishment, but would it have been 6 games if was was sitting in 5th place in the PL rather than in the bottom half of the championship? I really think not. Conversely, if we was sitting in the bottom half of league 2 he probably would have got a 10 game ban. Thats what i don't like. 

On 06/03/2017 at 00:32, av1 said:

I agree with all of that, with regard to their attitude towards match officials, players get away with to much, and i would wholeheartedly welcome more severe sanctions. 

What i don't like however is the inconsistencies in punishments for different incidents based on the clubs involved. For something to "filter down", it normally has to filter down from the top.  

Bacuna was an absolute dick and deserves a serious punishment, but would it have been 6 games if was was sitting in 5th place in the PL rather than in the bottom half of the championship? I really think not. Conversely, if we was sitting in the bottom half of league 2 he probably would have got a 10 game ban. Thats what i don't like. 

Is there anything to suggest this?

@bobzy 

Well for a start Wenger recently got a 4 game ban for pushing a 4th official, which given his position as a Manager could and maybe should have been more severe. Ibrahimovic has today been banned for 3 games for elbowing someone in the face. 

I'm not going to waste time looking back behond that, it is my opinion that big clubs are treated more favorably than others. If you disagree with that, fine, but i stand by my opinion that someone at UTD, Spurs whatever, would not have got a 6 game ban for that. 

And just to repeat again, i do not think a 6 game ban for pushing an official is excessive per se, but it is excessive relative to sanctions normally handed out. 

Sure on Wenger, although probably not quite as big an issue for me given the nature of the offence.  On Zlatan, though, an elbow is pretty much always a 3-match ban (unless you're Ben Thatcher and trying to actually kill someone).

I think you've got no basis on big clubs being treated differently - and that's probably because it rarely happens, so there's no precedent.  I think 6 games is excessive given that some Blackburn player was banned for 4 games for pushing a referee.

But then, arguably, Villa are a "bigger" club and getting worse treatment?  Why aren't we being treated favourably?

So mings gets a 5 game ban for blatantly stamping on a players head while bacuna gets a 6 game ban for chest pumping a lino.

Great job fa you absolute tosser s 

:thumb:

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

So mings gets a 5 game ban for blatantly stamping on a players head while bacuna gets a 6 game ban for chest pumping a lino.

Great job fa you absolute tosser s 

:thumb:

Like it or not, in most sports the officials are protected. An offence against an official is much worse than an offence against a player.

I think the Mings ban was light, but I have no problem with Bacuna's being longer.

Di Canio got banned for 11 matches back when he pushed the ref.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Like it or not, in most sports the officials are protected. An offence against an official is much worse than an offence against a player.

And that's completely correct, too.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the Mings ban was light, but I have no problem with Bacuna's being longer.

Di Canio got banned for 11 matches back when he pushed the ref.

See my problem here Stevo is that they are basically saying  match official is more important than a player. The Mings challenge was violent and barbaric. He could have seriously hurt Ibra. The lino will live and probably make some other terrible mistake.

The fa are basically saying ok you can stamp on you get a lesser ban but if you touch a lineo no matter how soft you get  bigger ban. I wouldn't have a problem so match if the ban was the same. It just stinks to me.

Edited by Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

See my problem here Stevo is that they are basically saying  match official is more important than a player. The Mings challenge was violent and barbaric. He could have seriously hurt Ibra. The lino will live and probably make some other terrible mistake.

Well yes exactly. It's not importance, it's protection. The match officials should be able to do their job without the prospect of getting hurt or intimidated. The punishments are strong to discourage that.

In the same way that if I pushed a policeman I'd get in trouble for it. If I pushed some random bloke and a policeman saw me do it, I'd probably get a telling off at worst.

Any mistake the lino does or doesn't make is completely irrelevant.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Well yes exactly. It's not importance, it's protection. The match officials should be able to do their job without the prospect of getting hurt or intimidated. The punishments are strong to discourage that.

In the same way that if I pushed a policeman I'd get in trouble for it. If I pushed some random bloke and a policeman saw me do it, I'd probably get a telling off at worst.

Any mistake the lino does or doesn't make is completely irrelevant.

If I gently push a police officer he is likely to give me a telling off and max a fine. If I go up to random guy push him on the floor and stomp on his head I go likey prison!

I just think the crime is more punishable over 'status' of the person

24 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I just think the crime is more punishable over 'status' of the person

I appreciate the sentiment of this Dem, but it's just not true to life (football or otherwise).

Regarding Bacuna, I agree that an over zealous chest bump done in the heat of the moment should receive less punishment than a deliberate stamp or a deliberate elbow (if the FA decides that the stamp was deliberate), but the decision is the decision.

I just hope that all similar incidents where the officials are deemed to be intimidated/undermined result in similar bans. As long as there's relative consistency, i'm happy.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This kind of thing really pisses me off playing local football. I play in Herefordshire and most of the referees are known to everyone. You can kick and batter and bruise other teams and nothing. The moment you even so much as question a refs decision then you're in the book. its obviously the remit given to them by the hfa. But it's so wrong it's ridiculous. Slightly different to the whole bacons thing but something I wanted off my chest reading this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought he was Dutch? Obviously not though, has nothing to do with the fact he can't get in the Dutch side of course.

It will be good to have him back from suspension though, he was the best player on the pitch prior to that stupid red card... what was he thinking!? Anyway, he might be a hot head, but he is half decent when he plays well.

• Like 1