The Randy Lerner thread

CI

3 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

Not true about the debt. This has been done to death on previous pages. 

And if football was invented in 1992 then you may have a point, but it wasn't, and Ellis had decades as chairman in which he managed to achieve two league cups and a few decent finishes. These achievements only came during the latter part of his ownership.

This, of course, was all after managing to turn the European champions into a second division team. 

I also wonder what might have been if he'd have moved us on to the next level when it looked like we could be going places under Atkinson, Little and Gregory. 

Lerner has failed on a number of levels, but his worse achievement will be no where near Ellis's epic failure. I wonder how many other clubs lifted the European cup and then got relegated as quickly as we did. 

Forest?

The problem for me is the perennial lack of ambition. There is no aim other than to stay in the division to ensure the streaming in of big fat TV rights pay cheques. Everyone in World football knows this club has no ambition other than to sit there in the lower reaches and fling out an annual load of BS to sell season tickets to the beleaguered fans who keep coming along for what? Loyalty? Coz there ain't anything else would make you go to Villa Park for the last few seasons.. Most fans go to games for........

REASON.......................................................................DO YOU GET THIS AT VP?

To watch the Premier Leagues best players?...........Well once a year as they pass through maybe

To see your team win...................................................Nope! doesn't happen anymore

Excitement?......................................................................Yes if you're an away fan

Fun?......................................................................................Nope misery more like

Atmosphere?.............................................................Has largely been stifled out of the fans

Hope?.........................................................................................Nope = non existent

To watch good football?.........................................................................LOL!

To have a laugh on the Holte end?................NO LONGER APPLICABLE SINCE SEATING WAS INTRODUCED (Unless you include laughing at the team)

I'm strugging... anything else?..Ah yes out of loyalty?........YES!! THE ONLY REMAINING REASON TO GO!

So this is for me why we pay good wages for average/below average players. Top clubs have to pay over the odds to get the Worlds best... we have to pay over the odds to get the best of the Lower Leagues and others bench players as frankly nobody wants to come here. Then if by some miracle one of them does come good they can't wait to get out and we are delighted to go backwards again & sell them for a fat profit. Why would they want to come?...To win a trophy or to play in Europe maybe? :rolleyes:

Now that all comes from the top in my opinion, the best a manager can expect to do under those circumstances is to try to tread water with a strong under tow constantly round his ankles. Lerner is to blame not the succession of scape goat managers.

• Like 4

Oh and I won't be spending money on the club till the word removed goes. I've never ever withdrawn my financial support before. Even when pissed off and I think I will, I always give in. Not now. Not with that word removed still here.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I'll never understand the idea of how this is worse than getting the league and European champions relegated within a timeframe of 5/6 years. 

Keep hold of that crumb of comfort as you may need it as we extend the worst run in the club's entire 140 history on a weekly basis. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Keep hold of that crumb of comfort as you may need it as we extend the worst run in the club's entire 140 history on a weekly basis. 

20 hours ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:
I'll never understand the idea of how this is worse than getting the league and European champions relegated within a timeframe of 5/6 years. 

When we're in L2 may we remind you?

doug cleared the 81/2/3 team out deliberately (unforgivable) but had at least the noose to get us back up, appoint a number of good managers before outgrowing himself and selling the club to Billionaire (which is what most of us wanted at the time)

but still a word removed

edited but m_c_t_w post should be 1st quote

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, weedman said:

Really want to know what #5 was...

Its on the Evening Mail website if you want to find it.

I think Collymore speaks a hell of a lot of sense regarding our current status-For some reason, he's demonised by a section of our support. He also said in those statements that his 2 years at Villa were the worst in his life as well as his carreer-I think many should cut him some slack, we can only imagine what he was having to deal with mentally at that stage of his life. There but by the grace of God go I.

Paul Gasgoine was so similar to Stan in so many ways yet one is a national hero, the other is public enemy number one.

Disagree about Morley & Withe though-I can't see what they'd bring to the table in an advisory capacity.

Even a Stan Collymore playing at the level he showed at Villa would be welcomed with open arms at present. The way people re-write history books, he fifn't hit a barn door all the time he played for us.

• Like 1

The problem with Stan is that he shows time and time again that if you question or ask him to look further in to his opinion then he has no interest in anything you say, his radio show and Twitter account is him just using yes men to self promote, you disagree with him and he blocks you or doesn't answer your call

Without going in to all of his points, the one about promoting two youngsters, if there were 2 that were good enough ever year then we would no doubt promote them, it's a Lerner criticism and something we should look at doing better... I think he'll find that in the last 5 years we've used more academy graduates than any other prem team, they haven't been good enough, but he's trying to argue that the current squad don't care because they aren't good local lads...look at the 2 local lads we do have and ask what good they've done this season...

He's living in an out dated dream world where football is where we'd all like it to be but it simply isn't anymore, new north stand, for what? 10k more empty seats?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, weedman said:

Really want to know what #5 was...

He added it in after. It was something along the lines of "Forgive some mistakes and let an old Villan come home"

41 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Its on the Evening Mail website if you want to find it.

I think Collymore speaks a hell of a lot of sense regarding our current status-For some reason, he's demonised by a section of our support. He also said in those statements that his 2 years at Villa were the worst in his life as well as his carreer-I think many should cut him some slack, we can only imagine what he was having to deal with mentally at that stage of his life. There but by the grace of God go I.

Paul Gasgoine was so similar to Stan in so many ways yet one is a national hero, the other is public enemy number one.

Disagree about Morley & Withe though-I can't see what they'd bring to the table in an advisory capacity.

Even a Stan Collymore playing at the level he showed at Villa would be welcomed with open arms at present. The way people re-write history books, he fifn't hit a barn door all the time he played for us.

I agree Stan gets a rough ride here, but look at his plan and tell me it's not better than that useless clown Lerner and his imbecileson like fox and reilly??

Â