The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Swansea are 9th and the reason we're not closer in the league to them is down to our manager.

Southampton had the benefit of a once in a generation batch of highly talented youth players coming through who they've sold for hefty profits and then reinvested into the team via a manager who has an eye for talent. That youth system was implement years ago and way before the current incumbent or her father owned the club.

Nice article regarding Swansea here... 12 years ago they was bottom of league 2 and now they are 9th and sold a player for nearly 30mil... From top to bottom they excel and are a very well run club.. Lerner could learn a lot from their business model!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2911326/Swansea-City-bottom-Football-League-12-years-ago-ve-sold-Wilfried-Bony-Manchester-City-28m-Sportsmail-takes-look-journey.html

In January 2003 Swansea City were five points adrift at the bottom of the Football League, fast forward 12 years and they've sold the star striker Wilfried Bony to the Premier League champions for £25million - rising to £28m depending on his success on leaving the Liberty Stadium.
The Welsh club's meteoric rise has seen them move from the brink of the amateur game to mixing with some of Europe's finest sides in the Europa League. 

From their days in League Two to their League Cup success, Sportsmail takes a look back at the Swans' remarkable journey.

Swansea had a vision and a philosophy of how the game should be played and stuck to it. I guess some would say at the start they hadn't the wherewithal to do it, steely determination and Nous has seen them through.

They recruited managers that would carry it on and fitted the model.

conversely we sold our soul to the devil and pursued smash & grab football that just papered over cracks,gave us a sort of immediate fix, kept managers in lucrative jobs, brain washed some fans in to thinking we were better than we really were and what bit of part time success ( ego related pride) we gleaned from it washed away like the ebbing tide.....just no substance to it at all.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

i think its time for the 'money sign' signs to be produced again at Villa park, like we done under DD

Can't spend more then we have been though...
So getting rid of Lerner make no difference then with regards transfers. Hasnt paid over 7 figs for a player in 3 years!
Pretty much. Until we improve income it doesn't matter who on owns us unless they happy to pay big fines

I'm not sure I believe our current wage bill is at the maximum level we can afford

for playing staff, it's probably not. for the rest of the half a million staff we needlessly employ, it likely is

i think its time for the 'money sign' signs to be produced again at Villa park, like we done under DD

So getting rid of Lerner make no difference then with regards transfers. Hasnt paid over 7 figs for a player in 3 years!
Pretty much. Until we improve income it doesn't matter who on owns us unless they happy to pay big fines

I'm not sure I believe our current wage bill is at the maximum level we can afford

for playing staff, it's probably not. for the rest of the half a million staff we needlessly employ, it likely is

To improve income we need to improve attendances, so we need to improve the product on the pitch so we either need to buy better players or get a better manager in to work with what we have already.

Nothing will change otherwise.

• Like 1

Birmingham Mail clutching at straws by referencing Jonny Gould's dubious Azerbaijan takeover talk

To be fair I think he was the first to break the news that we were looking for a role for Tom Fox, although he's said that this has come from a different source. We'll see I think we've learned to be sceptical of these kind of stories now. Birmingham Mail mention Gilan Holdings but not sure if he was being tongue in cheek about that particular group.

Andy Gray's interview with Jonny Gould below indicates he is trying to "nibble away" to get someone interested in the club. But Randy's asking price is a barrier.    

http://jonnygould.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/andy-gray-talks-to-jonnygould-aston.html

Good interview that

It was interesting for me how ex football people are very reluctant to directly criticise fellow pro's in terms of managers and players....Stan Collymore's comments have been similar.

However if you read between the lines Andy's feelings on the situation is fairly clear.

• Like 1

Picking up from Andy's point about Villa commissioning a Head hunting firm to possible find a DOF.

I too have grave reservations of that and once again describes the poor decision making process this club has presided over during Randy's Tenure.

We have many possible nominations that are awash with football knowledge and have our club at Heart.....my god you would think the lesson had been learn't with Steve Stride. The exodus of knowledge and loyalty that has left our club is part of its current demise.

• Like 1

I wonder if the NEC being sold off today makes Villa more attractive?

When we was linked with a rich billionaire in the summer, and the NEC was up for sale at the same time, i felt that the opportunity, with someone with serious money, to develop the NEC, and build a football stadium alongside, would be the obvious thing to do.

I knew i'd heard of Gilan Holdings before ....

Tony Adams is living the dream in Azerbaijan. It is not much of a dream even now, but may soon become impossible. Adams has been employed to take Gabala FC to the Champions League.

Azerbaijan is oil-rich, so there are investment possibilities, but the city of Gabala is an outpost with a population of less than 13,000 and a stadium comprising one stand with a capacity of 1,080. The pitch is Astroturf and the training facility is a stony mud-heap with rusted goalposts. To provide some comparison, Crawley, in West Sussex, has a population of 100,000.

We can conclude from this that Adams (right) is crackers or that the president, Tale Heydarov, believed to be the front man for an oligarch controlling a company called Gilan Holdings, has shown him the colour of the money. Alastair Saverimutto, formerly commercial manager at Everton and now Gabala's chief operations officer, says the funds are unlimited.

from the Heil in 2010

when Martin O'Neill walked out the door....What we did'nt realise at the time, was, Randy walked out another.

one went physically....they both went spiritually at the same time.

• Like 4

Paul Faulkner "What ya gonna do now Randy you've pissed off MON,"  

Randy Lerner "Ohh f**** off, there's loads of managers out of a job, go find me one, ANYONE!"

SNA3006B-280_542127a.jpg

The start of the end it seems............................

Edited by foreveryoung

To improve income we need to improve attendances, so we need to improve the product on the pitch so we either need to buy better players or get a better manager in to work with what we have already.

Attendances will factor relatively little in terms of our income though, couple of million here and there a season is about the best it'd do for us. A better product on the pitch will mean more corporate interest and companies wanting to be associated with us though

Attendances will factor relatively little in terms of our income though, couple of million here and there a season is about the best it'd do for us. A better product on the pitch will mean more corporate interest and companies wanting to be associated with us though

40k attendances mean little in terms of income your right, but huge in terms of trying to market the business/club.

Please don't believe for a second dropping attendances will not bother Lerner. If there ends up being 20k or less at VP it will not gain much corperate interest, thus Fox not being happy, maybe leading to the managers last stand.

Edited by foreveryoung

40k attendances mean little in terms of income your right, but huge in terms of trying to market the business/club.

Please don't believe for a second dropping attendances will not bother Lerner. If there ends up being 20k or less at VP it will not gain much corperate interest, thus Fox not being happy, maybe leading to the managers last stand.

Ah we're a bit part player in the Premier League. Background character. An extra. The Top 5/6 are Jesse and Walt. We're the swimming pool. Doesn't really matter if we're playing attractive football, we're there to play against the top 5/6. To provide opposition for them to play out their narrative. Think of it like Dream Team. We're not Harchester Utd. Now does it matter if we play good football?

Edited by yillan

Â