The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Someone earlier in the thread said we can not blame Learner for the lack of goals. I disagree, he is the man who keeps the clueless one in his job,so therefore must be happy with the way his manager is playing

• Like 2

Someone earlier in the thread said we can not blame Learner for the lack of goals. I disagree, he is the man who keeps the clueless one in his job,so therefore must be happy with the way his manager is playing

Playing? You mean you think he watches the games? If he can do that without wanting to spend money on players, the manager's job is 100% safe.

Making funds (however little it may be) available in January says 2 things:

- Lerner knows we are in trouble and we need reinforcements

- Lerner is not going to sack Lambert any time soon.

While I may not agree with his choice of manager, this is a welcome intervention by Lerner.

Making funds (however little it may be) available in January says 2 things:

- Lerner knows we are in trouble and we need reinforcements

- Lerner is not going to sack Lambert any time soon.

While I may not agree with his choice of manager, this is a welcome intervention by Lerner.

Seems to me that Lambert just didn't spend his budget in the summer.

• Like 1

We all know Randy wants out and that we want a new owner with a new direction. I don't understand why Lerner is putting us in this danger by keeping Lambert and not giving us enough to improve the side. Aston Villa will be worth naff all in the Championship and we could seriously do a Leeds or Portsmouth.

"So here I am, the dream is real, with Randy Lerner and Martin O'Neill..." 

Apparently Jonny Gould has said on twitter that he has some 'entertaining news' regarding the Villa takeover.Not sure what to make of the word 'entertaining' hopefully it isn't bad news. He tweeted at the end of December that he'd heard about interest from Azerbaijan, from a well placed source.

Apparently Gilan Holding has been mentioned since by Gould.

Edited by useless

Interesting snippet from a longer article from Brian Reade in the Mirror;

<quote>Consequently, for the past few years, Villa has been a ghost ship, drifting towards the rocks.

I know a high-profile manager who was interviewed for the Villa job in the summer of 2012 and wanted to take it... until Lerner told him how much he’d have to spend on new players and salaries.

He laughed and declined.

Paul Lambert didn’t.</quote>

Full article can be read on the Mirror; 

(Can't edit this post as intended due to using tablet)

Reade's a Liverpool fan so I think it was Benitez as he was linked one of the summers and was reportedly put off by our meagre budget compared to what he normally has. He took over Chelsea later that season.

The Martinez interview was summer 2011.

Jonny Gould ‏@jonnygould 10h10 hours ago

I promise something entertaining on the #avfc takeover story soon!

That's the tweet I think people are getting their wires crossed and he just means he's going to write an entertaining article or something.

Martin Samuel's is still the best article I've seen on our takeover (or lack of)

To me I don't think it's a coincidence that our existing owner has lost interest and at the same time no potential new owners have any interest, football is getting close to pointless for anyone not at the top table

I bet it's something depressing like we were a pen stroke away from being sold and Lerner started nervously giggling and wet his pants and the buyer got instant cold feet and backed out.

FFP is killing investment into football. If you was a multi billionaire you would want your club to be challenging yet under existing rules it would be impossible to get a club like Villa anywhere near the top. As fans we would be chuffed to be challenging top 6 but if you are a billionaire you want 1st place not 6th. Apparently only Man UTD because of their revenue streams can afford Messi under FFP hopefully this could be the sort of case when one of the current elite challenge it. I understand the need for it so clubs don't go bump but there is surely better ways of doing it without creating a glass ceiling.

How many clubs have actually managed to go under?

Leeds?

Portsmouth?

Blackburn?

Any more?

Surely FFP should be necessary if there is an endemic problem - I'm just not sure that problem exists outside a few cases.

How many clubs have actually managed to go under?

Leeds?

Portsmouth?

Blackburn?

Any more?

Surely FFP should be necessary if there is an endemic problem - I'm just not sure that problem exists outside a few cases.

You dont understand ffp. Ffp wasn't brought in to stop clubs wracking up huge debts & then going out og business, it was brought in because they didn't want son football buying their way into the champions league and ruining the gravy train for the big clubs Edited by Jimzk5

You dont understand ffp. Ffp wasn't brought in to stop clubs wracking up huge debts & then going out og business, it was brought in because they didn't want son football buying their way into the champions league and ruining the gravy train for the big clubs

Oh, I agree. But it is masquerading as stopping clubs going under.

Didn't all the clubs vote for this? Or was it just decided by FIFA or FA?

Â