Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

My brain says this is not the experienced 25-30 year old we've been missing since Milner(more attacking) and Barry before left but my heart is desperate to think there is some chance. Something to hope for.

We may go down but I don't want to do it without a fight...

Sylla me.

My theory is that Henke has told Lambert to buy this guy in the hope it will cause a ripple in the transfer market making more available a true target the he intends to recommend for purchase at his next club.

My theory is that Henke has told Lambert to buy this guy in the hope it will cause a ripple in the transfer market making more available a true target the he intends to recommend for purchase at his next club.

That is some conspiracy theory well done

Before we proceed any further I think we have to establish how his name is pronounced.

Is it S-eye-lla or Sylla that rhymes with Villa? Or is it pronounced S-ee-lla?

The 'S' wouldn't be independent from the rest?.... It's more likely to be Sil-la or Sy-La...

Eh :blink: ?!!!

So we ship out Hutton and suddenly we look like signing someone. Does that remind anyone of the Collins/Vlaar shambles back in the summer?

Yet again it is obvious the constraints Lambert is working under at the club and while he has made plenty of mistakes I wish people would take more notice of this stuff. Instead people say he should have signed x or y.

Gerard+Houllier.jpg

Gerard Houllier

French under-21 international Yacouba Sylla will become Villa’s first

signing of the transfer window today – with another arrival expected

before tonight’s deadline.

Sylla, a 22-year-old defensive midfielder, has been given a promising

endorsement by former Villa boss Gerard Houllier following his £1.75

million move from Clermont Foot.

Houllier

claims the powerful six-footer, who was linked with Queens Park Rangers

and Fulham earlier in the transfer window, is highly thought of in their natvie France.

Sylla

arrives from Clermont, who are 14th in Ligue 2, and his capture

continues boss Paul Lambert’s policy of recruiting young players hungry

to prove themselves in the Premier League.

“He’s a good defensive midfielder, sometimes he can play a little bit

further up,” Houllier told the Birmingham Mail. “He is very strong and

powerful and he is one of the best players in their team.

“The

French Ligue 2 is a similar standard to the Championship. I have spoken

to one or two people at Clermont and they say that he can play at a higher level, certainly at Ligue 1 in France.

“He can either play in front of the defence as a sitter or he can play in a defensive midfield triangle.

“Clermont have a good reputation for supplying players for Ligue One in France and he would have made that step up next season.

“In

England , in the Premier League at Aston Villa it will be a massive

challenge for him, but he is thought of in France as a very promising

player.”

Can be found here http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/gerard-houllier-gives-the-birmingham-mail-1280190#.UQoYkeWNW4E.twitter

Edited by Denis_B

So we ship out Hutton and suddenly we look like signing someone. Does that remind anyone of the Collins/Vlaar shambles back in the summer?

Yet again it is obvious the constraints Lambert is working under at the club and while he has made plenty of mistakes I wish people would take more notice of this stuff. Instead people say he should have signed x or y.

Yep.

I made a big deal of the Vlaar/Collins thing in the summer and it was obvious right there that Lambert wasn't going to be fully backed by the owner. It's still the same it seems.

I trust Houllier's judgement on this because he was right about Fofana when he was in LIgue 2 as well.

What about his opinion on Makoun?

Makoun wanted to play for Houllier and he did have some personal issues if I recall when he first came and then McFool took over and basically threw him out, then he lost interest and didn't pass his English test therefore couldn't get back into UK to play.......not quite as simple really.

Don't you just love VT. Lets be honest 99% have never heard of him so we do not know whether he will be any good and yet a good proportion are writing him off having never seen him play for Villa.

Are these the same posters who complained bitterly about MON signing expensive (known) British players whilst other clubs unearthed unknown'gems' from foreign clubs?

Give the bloke a chance FFS. If Houllier rates him that is a decent enough start for me.

Â