Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

And Cabaye

I have an open mind on Yacouba Sylla and how he will do, but I would be amazed if  we have found a player of similar quality and potential to Cabaye! Before coming to Newcastle, he had been playing for 7 seasons for a Ligue 1 club which had consistently been top half, had featured in European competition and had won Ligue 1 in his final season. So a little more experienced an a little less of an unknown quantity than our guy.

I have an open mind on Yacouba Sylla and how he will do, but I would be amazed if  we have found a player of similar quality and potential to Cabaye! Before coming to Newcastle, he had been playing for 7 seasons for a Ligue 1 club which had consistently been top half, had featured in European competition and had won Ligue 1 in his final season. So a little more experienced an a little less of an unknown quantity than our guy.

He also tried to sign Fofana who at the time was in the exact same situation as him, not to mention they're pretty much the almost the exact same type of player. Probably a more accurate comparison than Cabaye.

I never for one second said he's be anywhere near as good as Cabaye.

My point was Houllier rates Sylla, apparently. Someone pointed out that he'd also wanted to sign Fofana.

And I pointed out he also wanted to sign (or seemes to have it more or less wrapped up!) Cabaye.

It bears no relevance to how good Sylla is, just that Houllier does get it right sometimes.

The story that Houllier wanted to sign Cabaye is slightly dodgy, given that Cabaye told his Lille colleagues on the last day of the 2011-11 season that he was going to Newcastle. So he had already been tapped up, signed, and sealed before the transfer window opened. I have visions of a lonely and increasingly drunk Houllier wandering from bar to bar, telling anyone who will listen, "That Yohan Cabaye, I could have signed him, you know, I used to be a famous manager for Liverpool..."

The story that Houllier wanted to sign Cabaye is slightly dodgy, given that Cabaye told his Lille colleagues on the last day of the 2011-11 season that he was going to Newcastle. So he had already been tapped up, signed, and sealed before the transfer window opened. I have visions of a lonely and increasingly drunk Houllier wandering from bar to bar, telling anyone who will listen, "That Yohan Cabaye, I could have signed him, you know, I used to be a famous manager for Liverpool..."

He did actually say he was going to sign for us before Newcastle.

Cabaye is quoted as saying he was coming here but Houllier leaving scuppered it.

If he is going to do the job I think he is (NRC kind of player - break up play, lay off short passes etc...) then I reckon KEA would flourish next to him. He is much more of a playmaker so having that cover would take some pressure off of him to be the 'physical presence' that he is not.

I think so anyway.

----------------Guzan---------------

Lowton--Vlaar----Baker---Lichaj

-----------------Sylla-----------------

-----Westwood------KEA----------

Gabby--------------------------Zog

---------------Benteke--------------

Looks a bit better on paper. Clark, Bennett, Bannan, Delph, Holman, Ireland, Weimann bench.

• Like 1

I thought a fair few people on here thought we should go and get Liam Trotter as a DCM from Milwall - an average Championship side (let's be honest, they could only beat us with a last minute goal at home!)

We sign a player from overseas of a similar age, from a similar club in a similar(ish) position, to play in the same position, and who has actually received some international recognition (for a country with decent players, unlike over-hyped English talent), and people moan. Wow.

If he is going to do the job I think he is (NRC kind of player - break up play, lay off short passes etc...) then I reckon KEA would flourish next to him. He is much more of a playmaker so having that cover would take some pressure off of him to be the 'physical presence' that he is not.

I think so anyway.

----------------Guzan---------------

Lowton--Vlaar----Baker---Lichaj

-----------------Sylla-----------------

-----Westwood------KEA----------

Gabby--------------------------Zog

---------------Benteke--------------

Looks a bit better on paper. Clark, Bennett, Bannan, Delph, Holman, Ireland, Weimann bench.

Love that - but would leave bennett out for bent and put the zog behind the front two. He is thriving playing in the hole. Also where Martinez says is his best position.

O and hopefully a new CB!

Edited by villan_007

Houllier gives him the thumbs up, apparently Patrick Viera too, my opinion is simple: what the **** do we have to lose right now, lets hope Mr. Sylla hits the ground running.

Agreed. To be honest at the moment a player that is fit and strong and can push the opposition around is fine by me.

Like this potential signing a lot. We didn't have the money to buy the 'Sissko Kid,' the finished article if you like, so we did the next best thing.

It will be interesting to see if Lambert now changes his preferred system, or 'we go again?'

In as much as this signing may mean the great Bannan being benched i hope this will also apply to KEA who may very well be shipped out in the summer? 

Like this potential signing a lot. We didn't have the money to buy the 'Sissko Kid,' the finished article if you like, so we did the next best thing.

It will be interesting to see if Lambert now changes his preferred system, or 'we go again?'

In as much as this signing may mean the great Bannan being benched i hope this will also apply to KEA who may very well be shipped out in the summer? 

I'm hoping that it might bring the balance we need to the midfield so KEA can play his game better. Do you still think he wont come good?

Â