Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

Anyway, back to Cabaye, sorry, Sylla.

We seem to have had lots of stats from FM and FIFA13  but here are the real stats posted by Clermont Foot: 

http://www.clermontfoot.com/sylla

Can't really do a screen shot of this so hope the link will suffice. 

Two interesting facts that haven't featured so far, I think: He broke his fifth metatarsal in March 2011 and was out for the rest of the season, then was out in September and October 2011 with a further foot injury. He had 21 appearances in 2010-11 and 24 in 2011-12.

This season he has played in 20 matches and has picked up 5 yellow cards.

If you can link to the site, there is a video of their most recent game. Sylla looks quite good (he's No. 10), although it is a poor quality game overall. Here is a screen shot  - notice the complete lack of crowd! Coming to VP will be a big step up for him.

CF_zps3632014e.jpg

Hopefully he'll be just what we need. We all know we need strength and power in midfield and, on paper at least, he should bring that. If we play him in a midfield three that would able our other midfielders to concentrate a bit more on the attacking phase.

If we sign a defender as well today then I will be a bit more optimistic about us avoiding relegation.

Yep huge risk to expect this bloke to be a key player for us. He's going from playing in front of a couple of blokes and a dog to a 42,000 all seater stadium that belongs to a team in a relegation fight.

I only hope that this guy is cut from a different cloth than most our current players, i.e. he has the confidence and desire to rise to the occasion rather than be, well, a pussy.

I can't believe some of you already more or less are writing him of. Here we got a young obviously talented French DCM that wants to join us and yet people start complaining even before you actually seen him play! First people complain the lack of transfer activity this window.

Then when we do actually sign someone, that someone is to young, not experienced enough, to old no resale value, far to expensive, wage demands to high, British and expensive, foreign and unknown, foreign and lacking moral fiber...

And we are now apparently signing players preparing for next year in the Championship (already relegated?)… Had we signed a super star for £150 k a week it would have been irresponsible due to the fact we might not play Premiership football next season.

I guess the club can’t do anything right at the moment.

Give the guy a chance to proof himself on the pitch!

• Like 1

I don't see many people writing him off. In reality, with the circumstances, it's probably the best we can hope for. Someone who may help us out in the short term, but won't cost the earth, and should stick around for the long term.

True, then there was that guy, what was his name?

Oh, yes, Makoun...

Oh, yes.. That guy that played about 8 minutes of football in a struggling side and didn't light the world on fire.

Who was that other guy that Villa fans hated after half a game of football... Bradley?

I see he's doing alright nowadays.

I can't believe some of you already more or less are writing him of. Here we got a young obviously talented French DCM that wants to join us and yet people start complaining even before you actually seen him play! 

That's a bit OTT. No-one is writing him off or complaining. Just trying to sus out a player no-one has ever heard of.

The key preoccupation for most fans right now is: can we sign one or two players who can come in, hit the ground running and help turn round our disastrous run of form? So it's inevitable that there is an air of: "Is this the one?" in the discussion. It may be that's what you're picking up and over-reacting to.

Who's to say if we signed a say, Charlie Adam that they will automatically hit the ground running? If this guy settles in this league like Benteke and Westwood then I don't care if he came from Ligue 2 (remember Benteke was someone from the Belgian league who not many people have heard of). Plus he plays in a position that we have literally nobody who can play, and are desperate for someone.

• Like 2

Watched the video, I was hoping to see him make some solid tackles and generally putting himself about, but the 5 minute highlights were never going to be enough to judge...I'll give him the benefit of the doubt but its going to be a big step up...

Who's to say if we signed a say, Charlie Adam that they will automatically hit the ground running? If this guy settles in this league like Benteke and Westwood then I don't care if he came from Ligue 2 (remember Benteke was someone from the Belgian league who not many people have heard of). Plus he plays in a position that we have literally nobody who can play, and are desperate for someone.

This. We are desperate for a DM and will need one even if we are relegated. We are on a budget. He may be amazing, he may be crap. We need to at least give him a chance.

Â