Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

I think he's poor, technically he is awful and he seems to have no positional sense at all. He also was lucky not to give away a pen last night. 

I just don't trust him to do a job and I dont think Lambert has much trust in him either. He many have put in one or two decent performances last season but he's showing none of that right now. 

Perhaps he needs to be loaned out in order to get a good run of games under his belt. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Villa have so many midfielders that can't pass, it really is unbelievable. You're a midfielders, that's such a central skill to have. Even delph isn't great as a passer, only Westwood can pass, and he doesn't do much else. I honestly wouldn't be stunned to see 3 new midfielders starting next year if delph is sold because of his wages.

Hehe yeah, how does PL finds these midfielders who can't do the basics that a midfielder should? Sylla should be a CB if anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Dreadful today. But he's indicative of the broader problems we have, which are a tissue-thin squad where a knock to a starter leads to appearances from dross like this, and the fact that so many of our signings over the last 2 seasons make up a 'bomb squad' that's actually bigger, if at least not more expensive, than the one we're getting rid of. Sylla, Tonev, Lowton, Bowery, and Luna - off the top of head - have no future with any potential future manager, and probably not with Lambert either. 

• Like 1

All managers make errors in terms of players they sign. Sylla was a relatively cheap mistake but was indeed a mistake. What I don't understand is why Lambert keeps playing him. The guy is way out of his depth and is a liability. Gardner should not have been sent out on loan if this guy is needed and getting game time.

He's been proper rubbish this season, disappointing considering he did look decent at the end of last season.

He's good mates with Benteke so I think that's part of the reason he's still here. He'll be sold as soon as Benteke leaves I reckon.

Can't we just pay Sylla to take him to and from training and to play golf and FIFA with him?

If I was Benteke and cared about Villa I think I'd struggle to stay friends with a team mate who is such a liability on the pitch!

He was a complete passenger. He looks unsure of where he should be and what he should be doing. He watched as the midfield strolled around him in the 90th for their goal, showing absolutely zero urgency.

I understand he was cheap and a bit of a gamble, but putting him on for the injured Westwood was just lunacy. Why not Albrighton and drag KEA inside? Surely you put your better players on?

Looks petrified of the ball. His play of late is how I'd imagine I'd perform if unwittingly thrust into the midst of a Premier League match. Rabbit in headlights.

It reminds me of when I played junior football and my confidence was so low and I knew I was so shit that I couldn't do anything right, so gave up. I don't like being negative about the club but he looks completely shot.

Â