Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

It's hard to come on as a sub and play central midfield for us. It takes a while to get used to the pace and you have to look all around you.

Much easier for strikers and wingers/full backs etc. Hes always subbed on when we are defending a 1 goal lead so we are already in panic/defend/don't go forward/hoof mode!

Terrible game? I'm really confused by the responses he looked like he made a few nice touches and just needs to improve his distribution.

I will watch the game again , I admit to pissing myself with fear but he time he came on. But I saw him give away possession and get caught out of position a lot.

Possibly my fear driven eyes blocked out the good things he did.

Terrible game? I'm really confused by the responses he looked like he made a few nice touches and just needs to improve his distribution.

I will watch the game again , I admit to pissing myself with fear but he time he came on. But I saw him give away possession and get caught out of position a lot.

Possibly my fear driven eyes blocked out the good things he did.

I saw what you did.

Winced every time I saw him on the ball - I barely remember him playing a pass to a Villa shirt. I even managed a few winces when he was off the ball and watching players who were looking for a pass instead of closing them down.

It was the right decision to replace KEA, who was struggling (especially second half).....

... but I didn't see Sylla offer us anything.

He's just a rabbit in the headlights and doesn't have the technical ability to calm himself down.

Four or five minutes to go and ball breaks to him in midfield. Simple pass out to Benteke on the left, he just smashed the shit out of it in a mad rush straight back to their keeper. No good at all.

Has lost a bit of confidence, but he's never going to be a world beater, decent squad filler if he can sort out his nerves.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

I always try to be positive in my view of a player and agree with the comment that it was the right time to substitute KEA. However, I am concerned when Sylla comes into play because, as I said after the Liverpool game, his pass completion rate appears horrible at the moment.

Those last fifteen minutes were horrible last night - I had that sinking feeling that I had for much of last season that we would conspire to throw away a winning position - the fact that we didn't was fantastic, but I can't help feeling, we made it difficult for ourselves...

The issue with Sylla coming on to close out games like this is that if he loses the ball in the positions we are in, there's a lot of tired legs around him having to pick up that slack....

Our closer as it were needs to be someone with among the highest pass completion rates and I don't get that feeling with Sylla on the pitch.... I'm not saying that we necessarily have anyone better, but the simple fact is that if that is all we have, bringing him on for the last fifteen minutes just gives me the sense of risk that I would rather avoid...

Villa have so many midfielders that can't pass, it really is unbelievable. You're a midfielders, that's such a central skill to have. Even delph isn't great as a passer, only Westwood can pass, and he doesn't do much else. I honestly wouldn't be stunned to see 3 new midfielders starting next year if delph is sold because of his wages.

• Like 2

Replacing KEA with Sylla is like flushing a massive shit from the toilet to immediately leave another one sitting in there.

You're a miserable git at times, but that made me chuckle. Very blunt indeed.

He just needs more game time. He was class against Sunderland last season, so he's got it there to do the job we need him to do, he just needs more minutes on the pitch and of course coached correctly and he'll be a consistently useful player. 

Last season he was good.

This season he's had shockers at WBA, home to Man. United and he wasn't great in possession last night.

I would actually keep him though for a bit longer as I think him and Benteke are Bessie mates so we don't want to upset Big Ben by selling all his friends.

Â