Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

My recollection is that when he joined us last season, he needed a decent run of games before he started clicking. He hasn't had that this season. Not sure we can afford it at the moment, I'd rather see KEA/Delph/Westwood as they are all better at passing (to varying degrees). Sylla's main attribute is his tackling and both KEA and Delph can fill that role.

Some people want Sylla to replace our top tackling, top scoring midfielder. Please just show me one thing he has done this season to justify that.

This.

If KEA 'doesn't tackle', then we must have a really lightweight, unphysical league for him to be the 7th highest in terms of tackles per game so far this season!

Is that not a similar stat to when Barry Bannan was in the most accurate crossers in the league? People using these stats to justify, rather than actually watching the game to see what KEA actually offers. People go on about Sylla's passing, this guys is just as bad, he couldn't even make a simple two yard pass to Benteke on Sunday. Our midfield will not improve with KEA in it.

No because Bannan's was to do with accuracy which doesn't tell you how many crosses he actually made. Whereas KEA's is tackles per game (and he has started nearly all of our games) which is related to the number of tackles made. Therefore it can't be denied at all that he does indeed tackle. More then anybody else in our team. Also I'd disagree that this isn't noticeable as I certainly notice his contribution in terms of pressing and quite a lot of people have.

I'm not trying to overstate KEA by the way. He hasn't been playing great this season by any means but then very few of our players have. I agree with your final sentence but I think that applies to quite a few of our midfielders, not just KEA. Bar Delph, the rest are all mediocre at best as I have been saying all season which is why I concluded that we had one of the worst midfields in the division earlier in the season.

What you call as pressing, I see it as running around like a headless chicken.

Yet a headless chicken who makes more successful tackles then anybody else in the team. Ideally in the future we will have superior players who can take his place but until then I wouldn't be dropping him for the likes of Sylla myself.

• 5 weeks later...

He's not too bad off the ball (closing down, putting a foot in etc) but looks every bit a French League 2 player when on it. 

I think this is why we'd be better off playing him directly in front of the defence, rather than in a position where he is making runs or trying to make creative passes that clearly aren't going to come off.

He is a defensive player, good off the ball and strong in the tackle, he'd provide good cover for the entire defence and would also allow his fellow midfielders like Delph to get forward more without worrying. 

Â