Yacouba Sylla

darrenm

I think he was promising last season.

As in, he played his part, and whilst not being a standout, showed that he had something about him.

But I think he's regressed this season, if anything.

Yeah he's definitely gone backwards.

He looked like he had talent last year and now looks out of his depth.

I agree that I dont know which is real one. Worryingly I dont think Lambert does either.

I could apply this question to Luna, Bennett, Lowton, Tonev, Weimann, Helenius.

I would say Bowery but I'm not seen anything to suggested he is even that talented.

Our squad is so thin it is painful. We keep hearing that in future we will make less signing but better quality ones. However by taking so many punts it looks like to me that we will have to replace at least as many players again next year.

Says so much about how all over the place we are that we cant start our most in form player (Albrighton) because we dont own a left winger to play on the other side.

Edited by villaglint

eh ? That box to box role is the only position he has ever played for us. admitedly usually on the right side of a three.

The deep lying midfielder role requires much greater, passing / ball retention / technique than he currently has.

He isn't a box to box midfielder he never will be, even he managed to do it on the right side last season. His job is simple win the ball and give it to Delph and Westwood. He's a defensive midfielder and that was his main role at his previous club. A deep lying midfielder is only useful if we actually keep the ball, if we don't then his role is effectively pointless, so when Westwood went off, Delph should not have been switched to the middle.

“He’s a good defensive midfielder, sometimes he can play a little bit further up,” Houllier told the Birmingham Mail. “He is very strong and powerful and he is one of the best players in their team.

“The French Ligue 2 is a similar standard to the Championship. I have spoken to one or two people at Clermont and they say that he can play at a higher level, certainly at Ligue 1 in France.

“He can either play in front of the defence as a sitter or he can play in a defensive midfield triangle.

“Clermont have a good reputation for supplying players for Ligue One in France and he would have made that step up next season.

“In England , in the Premier League at Aston Villa it will be a massive challenge for him, but he is thought of in France as a very promising player.”

I would refer you to Con and say he is a forward press in the mould of KEA.

I agree he's no box to box player as when he gets to the other box he doesn't really have a clue.

I was merely pointing out that is the only position he has ever played for us and that he doesn't have the ability to be the "fulcrum" which is required of the modern day defensive midfielder.

Don't want to be too down on him, he's still young and got time to improve etc.....

• 4 weeks later...
Â