Paul Lambert

Pilchard

He said we played a world-class game in the first half. Excuse me, but is that our aim now? If we played like that against City or United at home in the Premier League then fair enough, but a highly mediocre half without many chances against WBA is world-class now? Rubbish! This game was a disappointment!

I think you're in for a long, miserable season.

35 mins of the first half we looked great, not the finished article, but a MASSIVE improvement on the last 2 years.

His decision to drop Bent was brave and for me it worked. He has not been afraid to rattle cages and it great to see,

Whatr was good is that the 5 top earners except Gabby didnt start and after years we finally have options :D

I fully expect Gabby and Bent up front next game, it seems like you play well under PL you get to play again, play badly and you're out and waiting for your next opportunity. It really is the way it should be. Competition for places is a great thing.

I fully expect Gabby and Bent up front next game, it seems like you play well under PL you get to play again, play badly and you're out and waiting for your next opportunity. It really is the way it should be. Competition for places is a great thing.

This ^

Also, Albrighton had a decent game today but don't forget this is his first league start this season since being injured, been out for a while too. More to come I think.

Villa looked good overall today and I'm disspointed with a draw if I'm honest as we had most of the game, just need to put more chances away.

I think it was a mistake not to play Bent today. 2 weeks after stripping him of the captaincy, the game after he's scored his first goal of the season, and with the England manager in attendance when there's a squad announced soon which he's trying to get back into. Particularly when his replacement is Benteke whose hardly an outstanding option himself.

This will have really hurt Bent and I think it was a major error.

Bent has said it was a blow but he and the team are fully behind the manager. Good for him. I want to see Weimann get a start next game. Although I agree it probably time for older heads.

We should be damn grateful to Bent, he has taken a lot of stick in his time from fans but he keeps putting in goals and so far under lambert is getting involved with more and more of the game as well.

think last 2 games Zog has looked a lot more determined I could see him get a start next week

He deserves one, looked a lot better coming on yesterday. More hungry and Fired up, running at the defence. Think we might start to finally be seeing the Old Zog that was at wigan. Hopefully.

Zog has looked good. but others have said, you can't say he should have started yesterday and to go with Albrighton was the wrong move. Albrighton looked good against City and is obviously raring to go, and Zog has been pretty shit for the best part of 18 months.

Just because he came on and played well doesn't mean it was the wrong decision to not start him. Or rather doesn't mean anyone could have foreseen that it would be the wrong decision.

Exactly.

If Alan Hutton makes a sub appearance and bangs in a hat trick, we wouldn't all be saying "It was a mistake not to pick him from the start"

None of us would pick him.

And I don't think, before the City game at least and probably after that too, many of us would be picking N'Zogbia either.

After watching the game yesterday, I just don't think the diamond is going to work. It leaves us too exposed on the flanks IMO. All our play is so central too, it's easy for the game to become congested with no little or no final product to the strikers. If we're going to play with Benteke up front we need more width to exploit his physical dominance. We had a lot of possession yesterday and moved the ball around well but there seemed to be a common theme, the ball went out wide with either Bennett/Lowton but there was little else they could do on the wing as there was rarely a man in front of them.

Hopefully this is something that can be addressed because overall our play is very positive.

Lambert manages the way I manage on football manager.

i.e. he basically picks the 11 best players from the last match.

It's an admirable approach, but I feel we need a little bit of stability in the side. If Delph/KEA is going to be the CM pairing, then he needs to stick with this for a while.

Also, upfront, he's going to need to stick with a couple of strikers for a prolonged period, otherwise no one will be able to forge any kind of partnership.

Lambert manages the way I manage on football manager.

i.e. he basically picks the 11 best players from the last match.

It's an admirable approach, but I feel we need a little bit of stability in the side. If Delph/KEA is going to be the CM pairing, then he needs to stick with this for a while.

Also, upfront, he's going to need to stick with a couple of strikers for a prolonged period, otherwise no one will be able to forge any kind of partnership.

Agree in a way but then if it gets to 10 games and 4 goals between a certain partnership then shuffles do need to happen to experiment slightly whilst keeping the ones waiting in the wings hungry and raring to prove point breathing down the others necks.

Things will only get better and I believe PL will steady us just fine this season.

It's his first season and a season for everyone to show what they can do and to show there worthwhile keeping in the squad and at the club, and then build from there.

For good or ill I think Lambert will continue to make constant rotation changes to the team and change tactics every match or two.

Its the way he was at Norwich and I assume the club before.

Its just who he is.

I like it, but blimey its a rollercoaster.

I think it was a mistake not to play Bent today. 2 weeks after stripping him of the captaincy, the game after he's scored his first goal of the season, and with the England manager in attendance when there's a squad announced soon which he's trying to get back into. Particularly when his replacement is Benteke whose hardly an outstanding option himself.

This will have really hurt Bent and I think it was a major error.

On the other hand should PL pick a player because the England Manager is there ? Or drop 2 forwards from a side who scored 4 against the Champions in midweek ? And if Bent is so fragile as to be upset at 'losing' the captaincy 2 weeks ago was he a good choice for captain ?

PL can't afford to be seen to appear to waver in his philosophy that he picks particular sides for particluar games, in the end it may upset one or two but it is clear the PL strategy is about the whole.