Paul Lambert

Pilchard

It will be interesting to see what these tribunal claims are. Industrial Tribunals became known as "Employment Tribunals" several years ago now. The maximum compensatory award in the Employment Tribunal for unfair dismissal is £72,300 for dismissals taking place after 1 February 2012 with a small basic award that in Paul Lambert's case would be £1,075 as he had only two full years of continuous employment one of which was over the age of 41. Accordingly, he is looking at claim worth less than £75,000 for unfair dismissal. Contractual claims in the Employment Tribunal are limited to £25,000, so his maximum claim for contract claims and unfair dismissal combined, total less than £100,000. It is completely unclear how it can be said that he has claims for £2m in the employment tribunal unless he is bringing some form of uncapped claim such as a discrimination claim or a whistleblowing claim. Neither of those avenues sounds likely. Of course, I am sure that there is much more to his departure than meets the eye, but reports that suggest that he is making a claim for £2m for contractual claims and unfair dismissal claims in the Employment Tribunal can be safely disregarded.

Norwich fans start to get a bit frustrated with Hughton and his poor start to the season, some even asking for him to be sacked.

Norwich then release this statement, seems like very convenient timing.

My guess is they released this statement to get the fans off Chris Hughton, and focused on Lambert again

Norwich fans start to get a bit frustrated with Hughton and his poor start to the season, some even asking for him to be sacked.

Norwich then release this statement, seems like very convenient timing.

My guess is they released this statement to get the fans off Chris Hughton, and focused on Lambert again

Sounds Familiar.

Greetings

Been a while since have been on here but thought would pop back in light of last nights news. Must say I am pleased to see that most Villa fans seem to have some sympathy for the resentment that most Norwich fans are feeling this morning. For what its worth I think many here are raising an eyebrow at the timing of this revelation given this has all been rumbling on for some time and comes at a time when things are not going for us on the pitch and the manager is under a little bit of pressure.

I also suspect that if Lambert does have a claim going to tribunal against us or a contractual claim it is tactical as part of Aston Villa's attempt to avoid having to pay compensation and (at the very least) muddy the waters in that respect.

All that said whilst I have no idea if either Mcnally or Bowkett made errors which enabled him to walk away but its very clear to me that Lambert and manufactured his departure from us with a view to joining you and Villa trying to avoid compensation. he walked straight into what I am sure is a better paid job and (unless we haven't paid him some old wages) I cannot believe has suffered any kind of financial loss. Even if this claim is just a tactic as part of the wider dispute the fact he is claiming/seeking anything at all from us shows a complete and utter lack of class and shows up Lambert for the type of man he really is. He may be a good football manager but he is frighteningly ruthless and burns his bridges everywhere he goes. We benefitted from his ruthlessness when we got him from Colchester and we had 3 great years before we suffered from his ultimate ambition. I suspect you will end up in the same boat but at present of course I am sure that doesn;t bother you because if he is able to leave you in similar circumstances it will mean he has done a good job and revived Villa.

Ultimately we will still end up massively better off for having had Paul lambert (as i think will you) but for any football fan the notion that these well paid individuals can just walk out on a club for another club and then have the nerve to come back and try and sue them for big money is just wrong and another sign I think that football has gone mad! he's got what he wanted and i'm sure is being very well paid.

Ultimately we will still end up massively better off for having had Paul lambert (as i think will you) but for any football fan the notion that these well paid individuals can just walk out on a club for another club and then have the nerve to come back and try and sue them for big money is just wrong and another sign I think that football has gone mad! he's got what he wanted and i'm sure is being very well paid.
Well said and I agree.

As Adam2003 says, it is likely that this is a counterclaim from PL. Pat Murphy, 5 Live Midlands football correspondent (I know, MON lover and Villa hater at times) has said on Twitter that Norwich are seeking compensation from PL for breaking his contract by leaving for Villa. As a result, It's likely that PL has issued a counteclaim stating that Norwich were actually in breach of contract first as his contract apparently had a clause which allowed PL to speak to other clubs, which Norwich then refused to allow him to do. So, technically (sorry for the legal speak), PL is likely to be saying that Norwich were in repudiatory breach of the contract, he accepted that repudiation, the contract was terminated as a result and he is technically entitled to compensation as Norwich's breach occured first (although whether he has suffered any loss is another matter, given that he moved to a higher paid jon).

Of course, this is all speculation, but as a commercial litigation lawyer and going on what Pat Murphy has said, I think that's probably what's happening. It's probably all a tactic by PL and his advisers to get Norwich to drop their claim - I can't imagine that PL actually expects to be paid £2m, he just doesn't expect to pay anything out to Norwich.

Hi lads,

Well I'm sure you can imagine and understand the anger directed towards our ex manager down here this morning.

Hitler would be more welcome in the City atm, and he bombed the place!

http://www.pinkun.com/home/paul_lambert_taking_norwich_city_to_tribunal_for_2m_over_unfair_dismissal_and_breach_of_contract_1_1572145

For us its very raw, a man we once admired who knows our financial state to do this is beyond the pale, trust me, it will get nasty when you come to play down here.

Thats not a threat to Villa and their fans, indeed, quite the opposite, but the anger directed towards your manager will be intense.

I won't get involved with the legalities of this or trade insults, but this is just a post to convey the mood down here.

Cheers.

I must have missed the bit where you acknowledge that your nasty little pisspot club is suing him as well?

As Adam2003 says, it is likely that this is a counterclaim from PL. Pat Murphy, 5 Live Midlands football correspondent (I know, MON lover and Villa hater at times) has said on Twitter that Norwich are seeking compensation from PL for breaking his contract by leaving for Villa. As a result, It's likely that PL has issued a counteclaim stating that Norwich were actually in breach of contract first as his contract apparently had a clause which allowed PL to speak to other clubs, which Norwich then refused to allow him to do. So, technically (sorry for the legal speak), PL is likely to be saying that Norwich were in repudiatory breach of the contract, he accepted that repudiation, the contract was terminated as a result and he is technically entitled to compensation as Norwich's breach occured first (although whether he has suffered any loss is another matter, given that he moved to a higher paid jon).

Of course, this is all speculation, but as a commercial litigation lawyer and going on what Pat Murphy has said, I think that's probably what's happening. It's probably all a tactic by PL and his advisers to get Norwich to drop their claim - I can't imagine that PL actually expects to be paid £2m, he just doesn't expect to pay anything out to Norwich.

Hi lads,

Well I'm sure you can imagine and understand the anger directed towards our ex manager down here this morning.

http://www.pinkun.com/home/paul_lambert_taking_norwich_city_to_tribunal_for_2m_over_unfair_dismissal_and_breach_of_contract_1_1572145

For us its very raw, a man we once admired who knows our financial state to do this is beyond the pale, trust me, it will get nasty when you come to play down here.

Thats not a threat to Villa and their fans, indeed, quite the opposite, but the anger directed towards your manager will be intense.

I won't get involved with the legalities of this or trade insults, but this is just a post to convey the mood down here.

Cheers.

I must have missed the bit where you acknowledge that your nasty little pisspot club is suing him as well?

We are seeking compensation for him leaving yes. I think that has been well known for some time. If you think a manager should be able to just tear up his contract and walk for no compensation after giving the chairman 3 hours to decide if he can talk to a rival club about a job then fair enough. I guess time will tell which club is behaving like the "nasty little p*sspot club." Just seems a shame it all had to be dealt with like this. i am sure there is some blame on both sides but surely both clubs would have just been better served agreeing a reasonable compensation figure and getting on with the football.

Hi lads,

Cheers.

We are seeking compensation for him leaving yes. I think that has been well known for some time. If you think a manager should be able to just tear up his contract and walk for no compensation after giving the chairman 3 hours to decide if he can talk to a rival club about a job then fair enough. I guess time will tell which club is behaving like the "nasty little p*sspot club." Just seems a shame it all had to be dealt with like this. i am sure there is some blame on both sides but surely both clubs would have just been better served agreeing a reasonable compensation figure and getting on with the football.

I don't believe a manager should have that ability, no. Nor do I necessarily endorse Lambert's conduct, or believe that it won't happen to us if he does well here.

What I do know is that over the summer I grew sick of Norwich fans giving it the big 'un about how it was a backwards step, having little digs all over the place at Villa, and now coming on here (the other guy, not you) to misrepresent the situation.

Just popped over to the Norwich forum to see what their views are, and they are as expected really.

Though one quote did interest me, from our friend Wiz.

I'm not a Hughton supporter, you all know this, but by God I'll now back off him and give him a fair chance after this behaviour.

Mission accomplished by the Norwich board IMO.

Yeah, first impressions last. The first impression here was that Lambert was suing Norwich and that it was a one-way thing. That sticks, despite the latest reveal that Norwich are suing him too. Undoubtedly that will be played down as being their right. It's all handbags at dawn and less than ideal but I doubt he gives a toss. It's clear that Norwich's chairman misses being in the limelight somewhat.

lambert and norwuich are both being pathetic in my opinion

cant both parties just drop the bloody case? its going to be real nasty when norwich come up in a few weeks

No reason for it to be nasty really. There is no real argument between the fans. Most Norwich fans won;t know whether to applaud lambert for what he did for us or whether to abuse him for how he went about leaving and this subsequent revelation so i suspect most will just do neither. We also know he revels in getting grief from the other side as we saw when we thumped Col U after our dispute with them.

I don't think its pathetic to want compensation for a highly rated manager walking out on us to go and take a job at a premiership rival when he (so far as we are concerned) was under contract. Every club in the country would be seeking compensation if in the same position.

lambert and norwuich are both being pathetic in my opinion

cant both parties just drop the bloody case? its going to be real nasty when norwich come up in a few weeks

No reason for it to be nasty really. There is no real argument between the fans. Most Norwich fans won;t know whether to applaud lambert for what he did for us or whether to abuse him for how he went about leaving and this subsequent revelation so i suspect most will just do neither. We also know he revels in getting grief from the other side as we saw when we thumped Col U after our dispute with them.

I don't think its pathetic to want compensation for a highly rated manager walking out on us to go and take a job at a premiership rival when he (so far as we are concerned) was under contract. Every club in the country would be seeking compensation if in the same position.

I'm a bit surprised at the anti-Lambert sentiment on here today. Have a look at this.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert admits to being “disappointed” at comments made about him by Norwich chairman Alan Bowkett over his departure from Carrow Road this summer.

Bowkett told a Norwich supporters’ tribunal last night that Lambert was now taking the Canaries to tribunal and seeking £2million compensation for breach of contract and unfair dismissal.

But Lambert today revealed that he is also being sued by Norwich and retains the full backing of the League Managers’ Association.

Bowkett said: “The manner of Paul Lambert’s departure was no surprise because he has walked out on every club he has managed.

“You can’t complain because you know what you are getting, but I felt he could have left in a more dignified manner.’’

Lambert hit back and said today: “I’m extremely disappointed that senior officials at Norwich have made comments in relation to myself.

“I’ll let him (Bowkett) say what he has got to say and we’ll see what happens.

“It will go before the Premier League managers’ tribunal. The LMA are acting on my behalf. They supported me at the time and still are.

“What Norwich haven’t made public is that they are suing me.

“It is disrespectful and wrong to that tribunal for me to comment anymore. That’s the way I’m going to leave it.

“My main concern is Aston Villa.’’

Lambert added: “Am I concerned Norwich fans are only hearing one side of the story? In a word, yes.’’

Looks like Lambert was preparing to play this one by the rules but Bowkett has broken them by going public in this hostile manner.

We managed to get through a potentially much more acrimonious dispute with MON with not a word spoken out of place on either side. Why can't that w*nker Bowkett keep his trap shut? (Although others have already speculated that it's all about diverting the gullible Norwich fans away from anger about Hughton).

Note it was Norwich (again) who released the story.... as other people have said, clearly thinking this will direct the rage back towards Lambert to divert it off Hughton's failing start and the insipid play Norwich have served up so far this season. A simple ruse by their board and their fans have swallowed it.

I have no doubt Lambert will leave us one day, and that will be that. My only worry is that we have a good replacement.