Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I think we've become the big club "people" want to see go down this year.

Effectively taken on Newcastle's mantle for 12 months.

I think you'll find that club is Liverpool not us

I said BIG club ;-)

TBF i heard a guy saying after Southampton on Five Live, that they'd give Lambert another 5/6 games and would be tempted to get rid if form didn't pick up. I mean WTF, how are we ever gonna grow as a club if this is the attitude, he'd have probably wanted Harry Redknapp to replace him too.

TBH though, he was only answering a question from Chappers, he said how long would you give Lambert. It's a **** joke, even if we got relegated, i'd still give Lambert a season to get us promoted again.

TBF i heard a guy saying after Southampton on Five Live, that they'd give Lambert another 5/6 games and would be tempted to get rid if form didn't pick up. I mean WTF, how are we ever gonna grow as a club if this is the attitude, he'd have probably wanted Harry Redknapp to replace him too.

TBH though, he was only answering a question from Chappers, he said how long would you give Lambert. It's a **** joke, even if we got relegated, i'd still give Lambert a season to get us promoted again.

Outrageous.

I remember a week or so back PL was doing an after match interview on MOTD and one question fired at him was something along the lines of "How long will it be before success arrives or something" and he rightly answered that he has just got in the door!

No one seems to have patience anymore..

If you don't win your first 5 games, score shitloads of goals in these games and conceed no goals then the pressure is on, the players are scape goated and all need sold and a new manager in the door to make it miraculously all better on a shoe string budget.

PL has enough success under his belt as a player and so far as a manager he is doing not too bad either.

Personally I have not put any expectation on his head in his first season here except for adding to the squad slightly, assess the players he has inherited and the whole setup of the place while steadying the ship, stopping any rot that has set in and progressing from there.

He is a bigger improvement on the last 2 ass clowns we have had as managers who the fans where against from the minute they where even muted as being manager.

I would allow him 2 full seasons before expecting any real chance of success and top 6 finishes. Anything achieved above the minor expectation in these first 2 seasons will be a definate improvement and a miracle worked.

The fact he addressed the scouting issue weeks after coming in was enough for me to know he has had more common sense than any manager we've had that I can really remember, probably only going back to the Gregory days mind. After the draw last night, I was chatting to a United supporting friend of mine and he asked what would you rather win a cup or stay up, as if the challenege we faced in staying up was as big as winning a cup. Villa have got a lot of negative media lately, & I think a lot of people have no idea what is going on at this club, thankfully I know come this time next year we will be one of those teams that clubs like United & City see and think that'll be a tricky game.

The fact he addressed the scouting issue weeks after coming in was enough for me to know he has had more common sense than any manager we've had that I can really remember, probably only going back to the Gregory days mind. After the draw last night, I was chatting to a United supporting friend of mine and he asked what would you rather win a cup or stay up, as if the challenege we faced in staying up was as big as winning a cup. Villa have got a lot of negative media lately, & I think a lot of people have no idea what is going on at this club, thankfully I know come this time next year we will be one of those teams that clubs like United & City see and think that'll be a tricky game.
I agree, we've gotten such a poor reputation in the media over the last year. Think a lot of that is down to McLeish and our disapproval of him. They didn't like that we didn't take to one of their buddies and we were constantly reminded that Villa fans were supposedly not against McLeish because of the results or the quality of football but because of where he came from. At the same time, the football was dire so that just helped fuel this bad reputation, but of course it was made out that us being shit was down to a shit squad, lack of funds and fickle fans, basically anyone that's not McLeish. Our reputation among the media and a lot of other fans right now is rock bottom. I've never seen it this low since I've been supporting Villa.

It's going to take a while before our reputation is rebuilt but I'm hopeful Lambert can do it. He's a very good manager.

would you rather win a cup or stay up

You should've asked him the same question.

In fairness to him he said he didn't see us being in a relegation battle with ten games to go but he also didnt see us winning the League Cup and that he only asked becuase after losing to WHU & Southampton more than a few would see us as candidates for relegation. As well last year, I did say to him I did think we would go down as for a long patch there it did seem that we didn't remember what a goal in the oppositions net was.

I agree, we've gotten such a poor reputation in the media over the last year. Think a lot of that is down to McLeish and our disapproval of him. They didn't like that we didn't take to one of their buddies and we were constantly reminded that Villa fans were supposedly not against McLeish because of the results or the quality of football but because of where he came from. At the same time, the football was dire so that just helped fuel this bad reputation, but of course it was made out that us being shit was down to a shit squad, lack of funds and fickle fans, basically anyone that's not McLeish. Our reputation among the media and a lot of other fans right now is rock bottom. I've never seen it this low since I've been supporting Villa.

It's going to take a while before our reputation is rebuilt but I'm hopeful Lambert can do it. He's a very good manager.

Definitely seems that way, is it really that hard to comprehend that a manager who was known for playing dire football and had been relegated twice in three years would not be wanted at a club. If, and that is a big if, some other poor club are unlucky enough to get him, it will be interesting to see how the media handle their fans not wanting him. Our stock is on the rise though. ;)

Definitely seems that way, is it really that hard to comprehend that a manager who was known for playing dire football and had been relegated twice in three years would not be wanted at a club. If, and that is a big if, some other poor club are unlucky enough to get him, it will be interesting to see how the media handle their fans not wanting him. Our stock is on the rise though. ;)

Unless it's one of the media darlings I can't see it being any different. They'll keep on reminding the suffering fans of whichever club that soul destroyer has rocked up to that he's "a nice man and a good manager".

and all they seemed to want to do on Radio 5 on tuesday night was compare him to MON and suggest that was who PL learnty his trade off

they really are nothing like each other when it comes to football matters

Outrageous.

I remember a week or so back PL was doing an after match interview on MOTD and one question fired at him was something along the lines of "How long will it be before success arrives or something" and he rightly answered that he has just got in the door!

If you don't win your first 5 games, score shitloads of goals in these games and conceed no goals then the pressure is on, the players are scape goated and all need sold and a new manager in the door to make it miraculously all better on a shoe string budget.

PL has enough success under his belt as a player and so far as a manager he is doing not too bad either.

Personally I have not put any expectation on his head in his first season here except for adding to the squad slightly, assess the players he has inherited and the whole setup of the place while steadying the ship, stopping any rot that has set in and progressing from there.

He is a bigger improvement on the last 2 ass clowns we have had as managers who the fans where against from the minute they where even muted as being manager.

I would allow him 2 full seasons before expecting any real chance of success and top 6 finishes. Anything achieved above the minor expectation in these first 2 seasons will be a definate improvement and a miracle worked.

Spot on. People seem to forget the David Moyes factor, it has taken him 11 years to put together a team that i think are in a decent shout of a champs league place. When he first took over they were in dire straits, he finished his 1st season in 15th place, 5 years later 4th place, then 11th, then the past 5 years has seen them float between 5th and 8th. So after 5 years in charge he then became consistant. It has taken him this long to become a good manager who most Villa fans would have loved at VP before Lambert was appointed. I remember a few seasons ago there were many Everton fans who wanted Moyes gone becasue of the type of football Everton were playing, Kenwright stuck with him and look at there style and consistancy. They are a very good team.

Lambert will need the same time. Villa fans should just enjoy what we have at the moment and let us build on what we have got. We'll have our ups and downs but I am sure Randy has got this one right and it will take time.

what pi$$es me off, mcleish was much worse and didnt get nearly as much aggro as lambo did when he was a disaster from day one

Lambert will get all the time he needs from me to be a success because unlike our previous 2 or even 3 managers I can see what he is trying to achieve.

in fairness I could see what McLeish was trying to do and in fairness he succeeded in depressing Villa fans

and all they seemed to want to do on Radio 5 on tuesday night was compare him to MON and suggest that was who PL learnty his trade off

they really are nothing like each other when it comes to football matters

Yeah this annoys me too. The media try and compare Lambert to O'Neill at almost every opportunity, despite the fact that aesthetics aside they really aren't that similar.

Smile and nod politely when people who don't know what they're talking about compare the 2. Judge for yourself how patronising and condescending you want the smile to be.

Even if we went down I'd give him another 2 seasons at least if we can see the club as a whole is building bridges then as hard as a relegation would be it might improve the club as a whole. IMO we won't go down anyway but it wouldn't be the end of the world. The stick off some of other clubs idiot fans would be harder.