Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Stories I've heard about why Mon left range from wanting cash to buy Aidan McGeady (waste of money), not getting the Milner money and finally being told to shift players who's wages were too much considering they were sitting on the bench a la Beye. None of which for me, make his position untenable less than a week before the season starts, which in my case is unforgivable.

Stories I've heard about why Mon left range from wanting cash to buy Aidan McGeady (waste of money), not getting the Milner money and finally being told to shift players who's wages were too much considering they were sitting on the bench a la Beye. None of which for me, make his position untenable less than a week before the season starts, which in my case is unforgivable.
In my view a thread about Paul Lambert is not the place to recycle all the usual unsubstantiated speculation about the reasons for the departure of a manager three years ago. It is so dispiriting that some posters seem unable to move on and focus on the future under Lambert but must keep returning to this rubbish. It was understandable over the past couple of seasons when the board's disastrous attempts to get a new manager seemed to be plunging us towards the Championship. But we now have a manager who is giving us some hope for the future - just like MON once did - and I can see no point in constantly dredging up the past, especially when no-one really knows the facts about MON's departure.

So...GOING BACK ON TOPIC, the good things for me about our last two games are first that they demonstrate Lambert's ability to out-think his opponents and come up with a game plan designed to cancel out the strengths of the particular team he is playing against; secondly, the fact that all the players seem clear about the game plan and motivated to give it their best and, thirdly, the way he has got wee Barry Bannan playing to his potential again. He really did look a lost cause last season but a few more matches like Saturday's and I will begin to expect great things of him again.

I agree on everything except Bannan. I remain thoroughly unimpressed with him to be honest. He's ok, he'll do for now. But he doesn't strike me as the future of our midfield.

Anyway, Lambert's passion has impressed me too.

Last 30 seconds against Swansea. We lost the ball, it led to nothing and we were obviously going to win. But Lambert was apoplectic about losing possession. He was going mental.

That coupled with his jog to the Holte End followed by what looked like a genuinely delighted fist pump showed me that his heart is certainly in it.

I must admit I was ready to cast Bannan, Clarke and Delph into the same 'not good enough' boat as Delfonzo after last season/the Everton game. Great to see at least two of those players have suprised me under Lambert. The jury is still out on Delph, but I still remember his debut season and live in hope.

Bannan has 2 assists in 2 games

The boy is contributing

Yep, which is admirable.

But he needs to learn to cut out the hollywood passes. The majority of the time when he gets the ball he'll try and ping it to the strikers or play some audacious through ball.

If they ever come off, it's great. But more often than not it's cherry picked by the opposition defence.

He's definitely talented, and if he learns through experience he can make it.

I'm just not THAT impressed by him so far this season.

We're the 7th biggest spender in the last 10 years.. it was fine.

But the third biggest spenders in the league during his time with us, outspending the likes of Liverpool, Man U, Arsenal and Tottingham.

So, no.

Not fine at all, really.

At the time he joined, the likes of Blackburn, Everton and Fulham were qualifying for Europe

By the time he left, we had -in fairness- seen of the challenge of Blackburn. And finished ahead of Everton. Once.

A fair return, for the money invested re transfer fees and wages?

This is the most depressing thread ever. Open a discussion about some chap called Paul Lambert and people just want to talk about some guy called Martin.

If you insist, however, I'd like to see the figures to back up the claim that we were third highest spenders in the Premiership.

Being the 3/4 highest spenders for a couple of seasons means nothing if your squad is complete rubbish before you start spending.

Man City were the highest spenders in the world for a couple of seasons but they don't have the best squad in the world.

Spot on.

Over the next 4 years we could spend 100 mill net and Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs could spend half that and still have much better squads as they are starting off with much better squads.

We were in the same position in 2006 and I think an 80 mill net spend in the following 4 seasons got us about what you'd expect - three 6th place finishes on the spin, challenging for top four up until the final few games of the seaon on a couple of occasions. Especially when you consider when finsihing sixth three times we had the 8th, 6th and 6th highest wage bill.