Paul Lambert

Pilchard

As I pointed out in the match reaction thread, Lambert even said that we were "about three million miles" away from where he wants us to be after the result (and excellent display) against Swansea. He knows a lot needs to be done, and I have confidence that he'll do it. For now, as annoyed as I am with today's performance, I'll take some good passing football, and a few wins mixed with a few losses (some of which will be heavy), rather than put up with the dross we were served up throughout the entirety of last season.

Seems the downfall of today (at least the first half) in style of play was starting Benteke. Seemed to me we just decided to lump it up to him because he can be used as a target man, and not play how we did last week.

you would think that is alarmingly basic wouldn't you.

We hit on a new style of retaining the ball, develop a bit of defensive play subsequently as a result of passing and retaining and then introduce a big man up front and piss away all the good progressive work.

no, no

and they say the fans are fickle.

I think it is our game, that is **** fickle.

This one game at a time reaction thing does my head in - am I the only one ?

Why not give the new Manager, the new Team ,the new approach, a bit longer than a month before all piling in with your expert opinions ?

I can assure you, your not the only one. But we are, apparently a rare breed.

This one game at a time reaction thing does my head in - am I the only one ?

Why not give the new Manager, the new Team ,the new approach, a bit longer than a month before all piling in with your expert opinions ?

Maybe we should scrap the "Ratings and Reaction" thread each week, eh?

We should just stop pretending we know anything about football too.

Opinions? Those are for fools.

As I pointed out in the match reaction thread, Lambert even said that we were "about three million miles" away from where he wants us to be after the result (and excellent display) against Swansea. He knows a lot needs to be done, and I have confidence that he'll do it. For now, as annoyed as I am with today's performance, I'll take some good passing football, and a few wins mixed with a few losses (some of which will be heavy), rather than put up with the dross we were served up throughout the entirety of last season.

Indeed he didn't get carried away by last weeks performance and result, i doubt he will panic at this one.

Exactly. I'm sure Lambert will be extremely annoyed at the performance, and that of certain players in particular. He won't be wanting this to happen again though, and will have learned from the game. However, I doubt too much will have actually come as a surprise to him - he knows where we are in terms of development, and at this stage we're still at the very beginning.

Was he actually "banging on" about it all week? I thought he said in a couple of interviews that he was "unplayable at times" against Swansea, and I'm guessing that's been reproduced over the week in various media outlets? Of course, it must be bad management to build up a new, young striker's confidence though.

To be fair, that was just after he'd scored a last minute and had torn Joleon Lescott to pieces. I'll let that one slide.

And as Trog said, he's probably said he was "unplayable" once this week in one press conference then lots of outlets have reported him saying it, hence why it might seem as if he's been "banging on about it all week."

Lambert worries me a bit tactically. he has got it wrong 3 times this season and 2 of tjose times he has got it really really wrong. Franksie on radio WM was spot on when he said Lambert needs to look at himself after this one. the way he changed the midfield shape and his substitutions were dreadful.

he was like this at norwich, great one week and hammered the next week. im not sure how tactically astute he actually is, he tinkers more than ranieri and if it works it works if doesnt it doesnt. seems a bit like guesswork some of the time.

Lambert worries me a bit tactically. he has got it wrong 3 times this season and 2 of tjose times he has got it really really wrong. Franksie on radio WM was spot on when he said Lambert needs to look at himself after this one. the way he changed the midfield shape and his substitutions were dreadful.

he was like this at norwich, great one week and hammered the next week. im not sure how tactically astute he actually is, he tinkers more than ranieri and if it works it works if doesnt it doesnt. seems a bit like guesswork some of the time.

Personally I think he's still figuring things out. He's new to the club and he's brought in a lot of new players and it will take time to figure out a system that works.

I think he will get it right but it is going to take time and there will be lots of ups and downs before we gain some consistency.

I am slightly concerned that the squad lacks enough players with either top flight experience or experience of playing in this country. In todays starting 11 Clark, Bannan, Lowton, Lichaj are still inexperienced, Holman, Benteke, Kea and Vlaar are new to this league/country. Really only Bent and Ireland of the starting 11 could be described as experienced Premier League players.

It will take time for the players to gel and for Lambert to get them to play week in week out as he wants and for him to know what his best 11 is. This season is going to be tough but I am confident we will see consistently better performances as it goes on.

Personally I think he's still figuring things out. He's new to the club and he's brought in a lot of new players and it will take time to figure out a system that works.

he changed things almost every week in his 3 years at norwich. it seems to be his thing. Like some norwich fans said, if u have to put up with a couple of good performances and a few drubbings here and there. we must pick up wins at home to survive. I think when we play the top teams then we should expect a few 6's and 7's. I wasnt expecting southampton to score 4 it must be said.

I think he will get it right but it is going to take time and there will be lots of ups and downs before we gain some consistency.

I am slightly concerned that the squad lacks enough players with either top flight experience or experience of playing in this country. In todays starting 11 Clark, Bannan, Lowton, Lichaj are still inexperienced, Holman, Benteke, Kea and Vlaar are new to this league/country. Really only Bent and Ireland of the starting 11 could be described as experienced Premier League players.

It will take time for the players to gel and for Lambert to get them to play week in week out as he wants and for him to know what his best 11 is. This season is going to be tough but I am confident we will see consistently better performances as it goes on.

Why do people focus so much on Premier League experience? It helps but it's not the be all and end all. I know we were shit today but overall El-Ahmadi and Vlaar have been impressive and they both come abroad. Lowton has also been decent and he comes from the lower leagues.

Just because you have lots of Premier League experience in the squad doesn't mean you'll do well. For too long the club have had such a narrow-minded approach when it comes to signing players and I'm delighted that Lambert's looked abroad and in the lower leagues. I just hope he gets the time to build the team he wants.