Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Not sure what the point in the end is saying Lambert is or isn’t better than MON. The things that are important is that he was the best available manager for Aston Villa, and he is superior to McLeish. Or does someone want to prove me wrong on that point?

Would also note that Lambert is the first person who looks like finally getting us over MON which is good news.

Livingston - won 2 games all year and resigned. Pretty much a disaster.

Wycombe - Got to semi final of League Cup before losing on agg to Chelsea, drew first leg 1-1. Lost in playoffs.

Colchester - mid table in first season, left after beating Norwich 7-1.

Norwich - Won League One, 2nd in Championship, 12th in Premiership.

O'Neill's success was in a different era, when for me personally I think it was easier to win things, he has won more than Moyes but that does not mean he is a better manager than Moyes. Also, Scotland can't count for much as McLeish was as a big if not a bigger success as him up there.

Though I don't like comparisons inevitably being made, if only for the fact that its raking over the coals, I can instantly see the difference between PL and MON. Its focus....and Lambert has it in spades.

MON, I always felt, dithered too much. He was driven, but was also far too indecisive when it came to things like making substitutions. Lambert does'nt; sees whats wrong and changes it, whereas at times the crowd would be screaming at MON to make the change and he would leave it too late. OK, he was a good appointment for Villa and his record will and should stand by its own merits. But theres something that little bit more with Lambert, a hunger and a lack of fear.

I reckon in a couple of years MON will be nothing more than a distant memory, because I expect PL to match or probably better his record here.

No doubt MON is a more Successful Manager, but Not a better one.
This is my point. Obviously O'Neill is more successful at the moment (he's 17 years older) but IMO it's clear that Lambert is the better manager based on his past achievements (don't forget he's only 43) and based on what he's already shown at Villa (Improving the scouting network, making astute signings, actually has tactics). Note that I'm not saying Lambert's done a better job already (how can he, he's only been here a couple of months?) all I'm saying is that I think he's a better manager. Have no idea why this seems to offend so many people.

but IMO it's clear that Lambert is the better manager based on his past achievements

What past achievements? What's he done that's better than what MON did at Leicester?

actually has tactics

This is my favourite. Again what games are you basing this on that were superior to any of the good results we, or leicester, or celtic had under MON?

Tactically Lambert is miles ahead of O'Neill. Miles.

And that's not just based on his Villa games before I get shouted at.

Yes I agree he has shown it at his time at Norwich and the evidence of this is back to back promotions.. wasn't just route one nonsense.

Also to get Norwich in the PL to avoid relegation.

but IMO it's clear that Lambert is the better manager based on his past achievements

What past achievements? What's he done that's better than what MON did at Leicester?

You cut off the bit where I said "and what he's shown at Villa".

Getting back to back promotions with Norwich and then keeping them in the Premier League is pretty impressive, and he's only 43 so there's a lot more to come from him.

This is my favourite. Again what games are you basing this on that were superior to any of the good results we, or leicester, or celtic had under MON?
The fact that he rotates his squad and picks players for a specific game instead of just putting out the same 11 every week and having them burn out in March? The fact that he actually makes meaningful substitutions instead of the obligatory Heskey on for Carew at 80 minutes (or vice versa).

No doubt MON is a more Successful Manager, but Not a better one.
This is my point. Obviously O'Neill is more successful at the moment (he's 17 years older) but IMO it's clear that Lambert is the better manager based on his past achievements (don't forget he's only 43) and based on what he's already shown at Villa (Improving the scouting network, making astute signings, actually has tactics). Note that I'm not saying Lambert's done a better job already (how can he, he's only been here a couple of months?) all I'm saying is that I think he's a better manager. Have no idea why this seems to offend so many people.

:thumb:

The guy doesn't have favourites, or pick players on past reputation. He's already made some big calls in his time at Villa, Fully expected Gabby to come on against Swansea but i guess Lambert is trying to get N'Zogbia's confidence up. Gabby has never suffered with his confidence. Hence he'll be an asset whenever used.

My post made no reference to achievements, it just listed their strengths and weaknesses as I perceived them.

I have no doubt there will be some bad periods ahead, but - I'm simply glad we've got PL rather than MON at this moment.

My god I go away for a couple of hours and this breaks out, again! We all need to contact Stephen Ireland I think to borrow his pipe.

Look, Martin Oneill and Paul Lambert are both very good managers and neither should be used as a stick wiith which to beat up each other. Our current manager is Paul Lambeert and Martin Oneill last managed us competitively about two and a half years ago now and we have had about 4 managers in the time since then. His departure and secrecy around that is obviously still an open wound on here , I myself am still pissed off by it and for me it exposed the faults of Lerner a lot more, BUT we move on.

I see no point in constantly looking backwards, this will divide us again. We all need to pull together, owner, manager, players, fans and this constant bickering over a past manager does our cause no favours at all.

Martin Oneill was managing under a totally different criteria and controls that Paul Lambert is. His brief was to get us into the top four within 4 years. That is what the business plan supported and that is what dictated his approach in the transfer market. It also dictated the negotiations that OTHERS carried out for the recruitment strategy that HE identified.

Paul Lambert is working to a long term plan of sustainability , of being competitive towards the upper mid part of the table with a push to be in an around the top 6 maybe higher but not chasing the immediate gratification of a 4th placed finish as , quite simply, we fo not have the funds to compete for that level with the current top 5 in terms of the players that they can acquire.

Two totally different strategies that do not allow comparison.

Oneil = Excellent manager for that approach

Lambert = Excellent manager for this approach.

Both excellent managers

Yeah, I don't know who's the better of the two, and I don't really care. MON was good for us but Lambert is here now. And as long as he's taking us upwards it's well and fine. And now is the first time that I don't miss MON anymore. I'm very pleased that we've got Lambert and I don't care about MON anymore. No matter whose fault it was he left us in deep shite 5 days before the season was about to start, but we're hopefully past that now. In Lambert we trust.