The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Too small, too weak, too fragile mentally and too old. He could be back up if we had a clear number one. But if Tim doesn't think Guzan is the man, he needs to get rid of both of them.

We would have lost with Guzan in net as well, but the damage Sherwood caused to Guzan these last few matches is criminal. 

I'm going to agree with this.

Guzan made 1 mistake in what has been a horrible season across the board. In the 3 games that Given has deputized since then (Steer had the Burnley game) he has shipped 12 goals (3-2 Everton, 1-6 Soton, 0-4 Arsenal). Now I'm not looking for a scapegoat for our loss against Arsenal, but Given was:

- Beaten twice at his near post

- Beaten by a 35 yard shot over his head

- Beaten by a shoulder "shot"

That doesn't read well for any keeper and, while he made one or two decent saves, I couldn't help but think if Guzan would have done better....

... and I honestly think he would have. I really don't want to see Given between the sticks again.

• Like 2

Really not a fan of goalkeepers that don't lift from the ground when they jump.

Did a few amazing reflex saves thou yesterday.

Hope this was his last game for Villa and that we somehow get him off the payroll.

• Like 1

We've got another year of paying £60k a week I'm afraid. Unfortunaly the Given experiment has failed miserably.

Something I will never, ever understand is why we signed given on this ridiculous contract when we were trying to cut the wage bill. Mental.

• Like 1

We've got another year of paying £60k a week I'm afraid. Unfortunaly the Given experiment has failed miserably.

I think it was fair enough that Guzan needed a kick up the arse, he hasn't been up to his high standards this season and the mistake v City was awful, but after a couple of games it was clear that Given is no longer the keeper he was and not an improvement. To overlook Guzan for Steer against Burnley in my mind was unnecessary and must have been very demotivating for him. How much is it going to cost to buy a first-team goalkeeper that you can guarantee to be better than Guzan? I do worry about Sherwood's man management - Cissokho and Gil being nowhere to be seen, suggesting publicly the players are losers, informing certain players will be leaving (easier said than done) after an FA Cup final thumping when they must be gutted, then making it public, publicly announcing Benteke has a release clause two days before the final etc.

• Like 2

was 2nd best player on the team after Richardson

I don't think he was anywhere near our second best player.

It's quite amazing where this Given love comes from. He seems a nice fella, but he's never been a top keeper (IMO) and now he's 39. Guzan is a vastly superior keeper in pretty much every way now. I do find it odd, it's like a massive cult, not unlike the Darren Bent/Gabby cults. He's always played behind poor defences, this can't be totally unfortunate.

He made PFA team of the year twice beating out Petr Cech who conceded 22 goals in one of the season. He is no Buffon but in his prime he was a much better keeper than Guzan who has had 2 good seasons in his career 

Also Guzan has played behind worst defences in his career compared to Given

He made PFA team of the year twice beating out Petr Cech who conceded 22 goals in one of the season. He is no Buffon but in his prime he was a much better keeper than Guzan who has had 2 good seasons in his career 

Also Guzan has played behind worst defences in his career compared to Given

Given at his peek was probably the most overrated keeper of all time. I said it then, I said it when we signed him, I say it now.

• Like 1

If we ran a pole I'd guess the vast majority of Villa fans would choose Guzan over Given.

If we have Given as our keeper next season we are going to struggle and also good luck to Sherwood finding a better keeper with our budget better than Guzan.

Bring back The Goose!

This. He's cost an absolute bloody fortune since McLeish bought him.

Him and N'Zogbia have been absolute f-yous from that utter tosser - so much money pissed away on those two guys.

Â