The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

P3te - still waiting for a response.

Sorry, I don't have a list of former players turned coaches and their playing deal expiration dates, strangely enough. But plenty of players have retired before their deals expired and moved into coaching

You can't name one but there are plenty?

Come off it.

go do your own research if it bothers you that much

Sorry, I don't have a list of former players turned coaches and their playing deal expiration dates, strangely enough. But plenty of players have retired before their deals expired and moved into coaching

Come off it.

It's not my research, though. You seem to be playing this off as though you can't be bothered to substantiate your claim, when in reality we both know that you're wrong. 

• 1 month later...

Has left on a free to Middlesborough according to Telegraph.

I can't quote article very easily on my phone so can't put link on without getting a warning, so find it yourselves!

• Like 2

Interesting. Good Luck to him and I imagine he probably has still a place up north since be his 2nd spell at Boro

Wages aside he  had 1 very good season and helped us get to a cup final 

Come off it.

It's not my research, though. You seem to be playing this off as though you can't be bothered to substantiate your claim, when in reality we both know that you're wrong. 

Add Shay Given to the list as players to end a contract early to pursue coaching/management ;)

Edited by P3te
  • Like 1

Aston Villa transfer news: Shay Given to join Middlesbrough

Tim Sherwood could be looking for a new goalkeeper after man who ended season as first choice at Villa Park moves north.

Shay Given is poised to join Middlesbrough in a move that could spark a search for a new goalkeeper by Tim Sherwood.

Given has agreed to end his four-year association with Aston Villa to join the the ambitious Championship club, with Sherwood prepared to let the 39-year-old leave on a free transfer.

The Ireland international was Sherwood's first choice goalkeeper towards the end of last season, appearing in both the FA Cup final and semi-final at Wembley.

But Middlesbrough, who have seen a £5.5million bid for West Ham winger Stewart Downing rejected, have lured Given to the Riverside Stadium after he impressed on loan two seasons ago.

Given's departure raises the prospect of Sherwood looking for a new goalkeeper after the Villa manager dropped Brad Guzan after a high-profile mistake in the 3-2 defeat at Manchester City.

Brentford's David Button is thought to be a target while Villa failed with a £4million bid for Stoke's Asmir Begovic earlier this summer.

Given was a £3million signing from Manchester City in 2011 and had one year left on his Villa contract.

Is it just me, or did that come out of nowhere?

Edited by Ghost

Add Shay Given to the list as players to end a contract early to pursue coaching/management ;)

Except he's not doing that in the way that we were debating, which was that he'd just sign up as a coach and as a result, write off his playing contract.

Let's not get into revisionism now.

Except he's not doing that in the way that we were debating, which was that he'd just sign up as a coach and as a result, write off his playing contract.

or

In what world is Shay Given going to write off 3 million quid to become a coach?

This one.

or

In what world is Shay Given going to write off 3 million quid to become a coach?

This one.

He's going there as a player, possibly as a player-coach - that's the difference. He's not writing off anywhere near as much as he would if became simply a coach with us.

• Like 1

Great news.

Nothing against Shay, it's not his fault he was given a massive contract, and he's done his job when asked. Gave us a decent run as number 1 and has been an adequate backup since Guzan has been number 1.

Hopefully this means Guzan is staying.

• Like 2

Great news.

Nothing against Shay, it's not his fault he was given a massive contract, and he's done his job when asked. Gave us a decent run as number 1 and has been an adequate backup since Guzan has been number 1.

And that a replacement is sorted and inbound.

Great news.

And that a replacement is sorted and inbound.

Â