The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Always seems very professional and a nice bloke, for that I wish him all the best, but delighted he has gone.

They are suggesting on Stoke forums that most would have preferred the now retiredThomas Sorensen over Shay!! Shay is twice the keeper of Sorensen :D

They think Given was only on 30k a week or something with us when he was infact on £65k as took a £20k a week wage decrease when he signed from Man City

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/245651/shay-given?page=4

Edited by Villan4Life

Well this is a big surprise to me, we're probably paying a major part of his wages to make it happen... But anyway, thanks for everything Shay, good luck!

Edited by AVTuco

I thnk it's harsh to question his signing, it was what we needed at the time.

What nonsense.

We could have just played the keeper that we had on our books at the time who was better, and not spent £20m over the last four years on somebody that we didn't really need. 

I thnk it's harsh to question his signing, it was what we needed at the time.

What nonsense.

We could have just played the keeper that we had on our books at the time who was better, and not spent £20m over the last four years on somebody that we didn't really need. 

that was? a keeper with 1 sub appearances in 3 seasons at Villa

people would have tore into McLeish if he started that season without signing a new keeper especially as at the time people remembered Guzan for the Blackburn game

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

Guzan didn't suddenly become a good keeper the moment Lambert started to use him.

A fair proportion of people were saying at the time that we should be promoting Guzan rather spending a fortune on a ridiculous contract for Given, I was one of them.

I think what each player has given the club over the last four years compared to what they have taken out of it rather vindicates that.

They are suggesting on Stoke forums that most would have preferred the now retiredThomas Sorensen over Shay!! Shay is twice the keeper of Sorensen :D

They think Given was only on 30k a week or something with us when he was infact on £65k as took a £20k a week wage decrease when he signed from Man City

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/245651/shay-given?page=4

He did and he didn't. The reason he got such a ridiculously long contract with us was that he wanted the same money that City were paying. We agreed to give it to him over five years instead of three. As it was (probably) going to be his last decent contract he agreed to it.

I thought he might have gone somewhere where he would play. I'm quite shocked.

Graeme bailey (sky sports northern reporter and boro fan) saying on twitter boro would only offer 1 year deal and stoke are offering longer

Â