The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Made some great saves but conceding 10 goals in his last two games can't be a great sign

Number of goals is irrelevant to be honest. For starters, 3 of Saints goals were 1on1s that he saved, which deflected for a tap in.

Made some great saves but conceding 10 goals in his last two games can't be a great sign

Remember when Guzan was our best player during the 8-0 at Stamford Bridge?

Thought he as pretty good today.

Not sure how he can be blamed for any of the goals, which were mainly to do with what was (or wasn't) going on in front of him.

It is particularly surprising that people are blaming him for the second goal but I suppose it is wrong to be surprised at the stuff that gets said on Villatalk.

Edited by briny_ear

The second was right down his throat. Maybe I'll feel differently if I see it on TV, but from the replays at the ground I was furious.

From the camera view behind the shot, it went left first, then right. Given went with the first 'swerve' and was totally wrong footed.

It was the footballing equivalent of a swinging Jaffa from Jimmy Anderson. He had no chance.

If we'd put in Guzan today we'd have conceded 3-4 today still, Arsenal had hatful of chances just like Emirates and Villa Park when they scored 8 past Guzan.

As much as I'd have preferred Guzan in there today, keeper wasn't the issue.

Let's see what happens in this area in the summer.

The second was right down his throat. Maybe I'll feel differently if I see it on TV, but from the replays at the ground I was furious.

Once you see the replays you'll be less furious. It really was a world class shot

On the second goal, it was a great strike. But, I think a bigger goalkeeper might have had a better chance of saving it. Given is very short for a goalkeeper, and sometimes this counts against him.

Regardless, he made some good saves today and he is not really culpable for the result. 

I don't expect him or Guzan to be first choice next season.

Â