The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

As we were supposedly cutting down after MON's spending to spend so much on wages and fee for a keeper his age was very poor Business.

His first season he did play well but he has declined since , a great shot stopper but rest of his game kicking and controlling the area is poor.

Good pro but a very costly one for us

The age thing is debatable as Freidel was 37 when he signed and i bet he was on a similar wage.

It was admittedly a 3 year deal but it took him up to 40. Given would have also been 40 at the end of his deal.

I thnk it's harsh to question his signing, it was what we needed at the time.

However, giving him a 5 year deal, on such a high salary, was mad. 2 years should have been enough, maybe 3 at a stretch.

A good pro, all the best Shay.

I thnk it's harsh to question his signing, it was what we needed at the time.

However, giving him a 5 year deal, on such a high salary, was mad. 2 years should have been enough, maybe 3 at a stretch.

A good pro, all the best Shay.

...but he would have never of come here on that kind of deal.

We should have looked elsewhere but just sums up the imagination we had under Mcleish.

just curious, how will be club of saved money by letting him go a year early, surely the club would have to pay up that year still? event still, on the look out for another keeper i guess? or will siegrist or other lad get a chance?

just curious, how will be club of saved money by letting him go a year early, surely the club would have to pay up that year still? event still, on the look out for another keeper i guess? or will siegrist or other lad get a chance?

Depends.

If we mutually terminated his contract then we wouldn't owe him anything.

If we effectively sacked him, then we'd have to pay him what we'd owe him for his last year.

I imagine the most likely scenario is he's gone to boro and we're contributing something towards his wages for this coming year to sweeten the deal for him.

So it will be saving us money, but not the full amount of his wages.

That's just a guess though.

• Like 3

Depends.

If we mutually terminated his contract then we wouldn't owe him anything.

If we effectively sacked him, then we'd have to pay him what we'd owe him for his last year.

I imagine the most likely scenario is he's gone to boro and we're contributing something towards his wages for this coming year to sweeten the deal for him.

So it will be saving us money, but not the full amount of his wages.

That's just a guess though.

Think that is a very good guess.

Stoke have stepped in to snatch Shay Given from under Middlesbrough's noses - he is set for talks with City, who are now favourites.

No chance, .........unless they are offering him another 5 year deal.

He is very close to Hughes and wouldn't have to move, so wouldn't surprise me if he went there to be No2.

Stoke have stepped in to snatch Shay Given from under Middlesbrough's noses - he is set for talks with City, who are now favourites.

No chance, .........unless they are offering him another 5 year deal.

He is very close to Hughes and wouldn't have to move, so wouldn't surprise me if he went there to be No2.

Is he?

They haven't worked together before have they?

EDIT : Signed him in January the year he left Citeh

Edited by rodders0223

Â