The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Maybe it is time to come to an agreement and settle the final year of his contract early..

I'd be happy for him to stay on as a coach. I gained so much respect for Shay in Lambert's second season, when he made the big leap from Bomb Squad to Emergency Coaching Staff when Karsa & Culverhouse left. He never complained, he just got on with the job -- "whatever you need me to do." He seems to be a good positive influence on our younger players. Wonder if he'd take a reduced salary for a long-term contract as a full time coach.

You make it sound as though he's a saint, we must remember he was paid £60,000 A WEEK to do this role. Ffs i'd have been Lamberts personal testicle massager for 60k a week!

And a 5 year contract. For a 35 year old. With injury problems. Great bit of business that.

You make it sound as though he's a saint, we must remember he was paid £60,000 A WEEK to do this role. Ffs i'd have been Lamberts personal testicle massager for 60k a week!

Actually he was paid £60k-per-week to be our goalkeeper. He had no obligation to help out on the coaching staff nor did he owe Lambert any favours after being 'bombed out' by him.

• Like 2

Actually he was paid £60k-per-week to be our goalkeeper. He had no obligation to help out on the coaching staff nor did he owe Lambert any favours after being 'bombed out' by him.

Except Given wasn't 'bombed out' by Lambert. He was dropped and rightly so at the time.

Except Given wasn't 'bombed out' by Lambert. He was dropped and rightly so at the time.

Wasn't he dropped from the bench in favour of Steer? I'd count that bombed out

Wasn't he dropped from the bench in favour of Steer? I'd count that bombed out

He wasn't training with the bomb squad.

Guzan is definitely a better option for us at the moment but you have to feel bad for Given if he doesn't play. He was dropped for the final in '99, played in the earlier rounds of the competition for City but didn't start the final in 2011 and now, after eventually working his way back into the starting XI here, and having played in every cup game this season, it looks like he might miss out again.

Having said that, Guzan also got dropped for the League Cup final after playing in every round in 2010.

Someone is going to be gutted. Hopefully whoever gets the nod plays a blinder. I've got a feeling they'll need to.

Â