The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

I think a good time to move on for Shay to be honest. He was great for us towards the end of last season and this way he goes out with a bang as I think it's unlikely he will play much next season. Only his age is holding him back at the moment, and unfortunately age catches up with us all. 

Good luck Shay. 

Monumentally bad business signing him and giving him the deal did but none of that is his fault, that is down to the muppets running the club at the time.

He has been professional throughout his time here and done okay when he has played, I wish him the best although I'll be pleased to see him go.

100%.... good bit more wages now to play with as well

Goes with best wishes from me, always a pro and let's not forget how he stepped in as assistant manager last season despite being in the bomb squad at the time. 

Slightly OT, but what happened to Karanka?

Add Shay Given to the list as players to end a contract early to pursue coaching/management ;)

Except he's not doing that in the way that we were debating, which was that he'd just sign up as a coach and as a result, write off his playing contract.

Let's not get into revisionism now.

or

In what world is Shay Given going to write off 3 million quid to become a coach?

This one.

Have you read the article and are we really naive to think he is writing off £3m quid to play for one final season?

He will be going to Boro, who I imagine will pay him anywhere between 15-20k.

We will still be paying him the remainder he is owed on his contract, but we will be saving a million plus bonuses.

Rodders is right, and the figures will be in that ball park if my many years in football management (PC version) are anything to go by.

I would have to disagree with Trent though, when McLeish signed him he had every intention of making Shay his number one for the duration of his contract.  If he'd have played close to 200 games for us we'd be saying it was fantastic business. Lambert clearly had one eye on the wage bill when making Guzan number 1 imo. He was an honorary member of the bomb squad.  

Edited by piav_k4

Monumentally bad business signing him and giving him the deal did but none of that is his fault, that is down to the muppets running the club at the time.

He has been professional throughout his time here and done okay when he has played, I wish him the best although I'll be pleased to see him go.

We managed to survive McLeish and Faulker combined. That's pretty impressive, looking back.

• Like 3

this

It was bad business at the time and some of us said it at the time.

He got dropped because he wasn't playing well.

I can't say I remember him being particularly dreadful under McLeish and I don't think he had a chance under Lambert.

He's always been a very good keeper, and he's still not as old as Friedel was in his last season for Spurs.

On top of that no one really rated Guzan at the time, we needed a keeper.

The fact he played less than 40 games makes it bad business.

Edited by piav_k4

In my eyes was player of the season his first yr (bloody Stephen Ireland what a joke) and roles keep us up. Also played his part in keeping us up last season.

The money situation, same as Bent they were given the offer, they'd be stupid to decline it.

Hope he does well.

I can't say I remember him being particularly dreadful under McLeish and I don't think he had a chance under Lambert.

He's always been a very good keeper, and he's still not as old as Friedel was in his last season for Spurs.

Given played less than 40 games?  Is that true?

I remember he was awful at the Euros and didn't start the season well. At his age there were serious questions to be asked and he had to br dropped imo.

• Like 1

I remember he was awful at the Euros and didn't start the season well. At his age there were serious questions to be asked and he had to br dropped imo.

He did have a bad Euros I'll give you that.

A great GK in his prime .Sadly he was slightly passed it when he joined and for ridiculous wages. Wish him all the best but glad to have him off the wage bill . hopefully Tim goes out and signs a really good No.1 now.

As we were supposedly cutting down after MON's spending to spend so much on wages and fee for a keeper his age was very poor Business.

His first season he did play well but he has declined since , a great shot stopper but rest of his game kicking and controlling the area is poor.

Good pro but a very costly one for us

• Like 1

Â