The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Maybe Given got number 1 spot for the league so that he won't feel too bad when Guzan plays in the cup final?

you dont **** around with your goalkeepers in a relegation battle so highly doubt it

Maybe Given got number 1 spot for the league so that he won't feel too bad when Guzan plays in the cup final?

you dont **** around with your goalkeepers in a relegation battle

We did though

people who's opinion of Given had been blurred by Salifou Syndrome ;)

I once had Salifou Syndrome, but i bought some dodgy cream on the internet which solved that embarrassing problem.

no the manager replaced him with what he thought was a better choice. He didnt swap them to make one feel happy about missing out on a cup final

Or did he drop guzan to light a fire under his arse and get a reaction with the intention of getting him back in the team for the cup final?

No i think he dropped Guzan because the only experience he's had of either goalkeeper has been the last 2 months, which admittedly haven't been Guzan's best.

And given Given's performances in the cup you could forgive him for thinking Given was the better keeper.

I think that's mainly because Given had been pretty untested in the cup. not his fault, he did what was asked of him extremely well.

But Sherwood has admitted that he didn't watch much of Villa before he got the job so liek I said, you can't blame him for dropping Guzan for legitimate footballing reasons.

I imagine he's realised by now that Guzan is actually the better keeper.

• Like 1

I think Sherwood made a rod for his own back with this one. Dropped Guzan too quickly and now can't change them back around even though he probably wants to.

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

Not sure he's better than Guzan to be honest.

Given?

No he's not.

The last couple of games have just reminded those people who's opinion of Given had been blurred by Salifou Syndrome ;)

Soon to be renamed Gil syndrome :P

All joking aside, I think we need a new No1 next year. Not sure if either of them are good enough on a regular basis.

I actually think Gil has decreased in quality in people's minds since he's been on the bench. Lots of people saying "well he wasn't that good anyway"

But that's massively off topic

• Like 1

Not sure he's better than Guzan to be honest.

Given?

No he's not.

The last couple of games have just reminded those people who's opinion of Given had been blurred by Salifou Syndrome ;)

Soon to be renamed Gil syndrome :P

All joking aside, I think we need a new No1 next year. Not sure if either of them are good enough on a regular basis.

Guzan is easily good enough but we need to find a reliable back-up seeing as Given is right at the end of his career

Suzan's been great for us with one patch of indifference and one stinker of a game.

In all likelihood he's suffering from the Lambert shell-shock years and just needed a break from the constant bombardment.

Suzan's been great for us with one patch of indifference and one stinker of a game.

In all likelihood he's suffering from the Lambert shell-shock years and just needed a break from the constant bombardment.

Suzanna do do doo,

Suzanna doo doo,

Suzanna, I'm crazy in love with youuuu

• Like 1

Suzanna do do doo,

Suzanna doo doo,

I can't be bothered to edit it.

Suzanna do do doo,

Suzanna doo doo,

Suzanna do do doo,

Suzanna doo doo,

No need mate. You took me back 30 years, great times. Thanks for that. :)

Maybe it is time to come to an agreement and settle the final year of his contract early..

I'd be happy for him to stay on as a coach. I gained so much respect for Shay in Lambert's second season, when he made the big leap from Bomb Squad to Emergency Coaching Staff when Karsa & Culverhouse left. He never complained, he just got on with the job -- "whatever you need me to do." He seems to be a good positive influence on our younger players. Wonder if he'd take a reduced salary for a long-term contract as a full time coach.

Maybe it is time to come to an agreement and settle the final year of his contract early..

I'd be happy for him to stay on as a coach. I gained so much respect for Shay in Lambert's second season, when he made the big leap from Bomb Squad to Emergency Coaching Staff when Karsa & Culverhouse left. He never complained, he just got on with the job -- "whatever you need me to do." He seems to be a good positive influence on our younger players. Wonder if he'd take a reduced salary for a long-term contract as a full time coach.

You make it sound as though he's a saint, we must remember he was paid £60,000 A WEEK to do this role. Ffs i'd have been Lamberts personal testicle massager for 60k a week!

Edited by avfcwills10

Â