The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

We would have lost with Guzan in net as well, but the damage Sherwood caused to Guzan these last few matches is criminal. 

I'm going to agree with this.

Guzan made 1 mistake in what has been a horrible season across the board. In the 3 games that Given has deputized since then (Steer had the Burnley game) he has shipped 12 goals (3-2 Everton, 1-6 Soton, 0-4 Arsenal). Now I'm not looking for a scapegoat for our loss against Arsenal, but Given was:

- Beaten twice at his near post

- Beaten by a 35 yard shot over his head

- Beaten by a shoulder "shot"

That doesn't read well for any keeper and, while he made one or two decent saves, I couldn't help but think if Guzan would have done better....

... and I honestly think he would have. I really don't want to see Given between the sticks again.

Yep - an error of judgement of a players ability. Hope he shows better judgement in the transfer window  (Hope not expect)

He made PFA team of the year twice beating out Petr Cech who conceded 22 goals in one of the season. He is no Buffon but in his prime he was a much better keeper than Guzan who has had 2 good seasons in his career 

Also Guzan has played behind worst defences in his career compared to Given

Given at his peek was probably the most overrated keeper of all time. I said it then, I said it when we signed him, I say it now.

He probably was but he was still better than Guzan in his prime. Just because he was overrated doesnt mean he wasnt good e.g for me Steven Gerrard is also probably the most overrated midfielder of all time but he was still a bloody good player in his prime

He made PFA team of the year twice beating out Petr Cech who conceded 22 goals in one of the season. He is no Buffon but in his prime he was a much better keeper than Guzan who has had 2 good seasons in his career 

Also Guzan has played behind worst defences in his career compared to Given

Given at his peek was probably the most overrated keeper of all time. I said it then, I said it when we signed him, I say it now.

He probably was but he was still better than Guzan in his prime. Just because he was overrated doesnt mean he wasnt good e.g for me Steven Gerrard is also probably the most overrated midfielder of all time but he was still a bloody good player in his prime

I would pick the Guzan of 2 years ago than Given ever. You see I don't think you can have a keeper with such a fundamental flaw in the game like Given does. He's always had it with corners and crosses in general. You do notice it more when Guzan was so good at it.

Friedel never came for corners either though and that was never labelled against him

It was by many including me, especially in his last season under Houllier. Friedel was a better all round keeper than Given though, and controlled the box more on general crosses.

• Like 2

Oh yeah I rate Friedel ahead of Given myself in his prime but both were very good keepers previously and around 2000-05 they were definite the best of the rest when it came to Premier League for me in that they were good keepers for middle tier clubs but never good enough to make the step up to an Arsenal or a Man United

Guzan has never reached that level for me

• Like 1

I think he means a contract on a coach's salary, which would be ten times less than his current wage

Yep, I understood what he meant. I stand by what I said, though.

So instead of paying him a fraction of what we would for the next 12 months, you'd rather pay him the full whack because you think we've paid him too much money? Ooookaaay

I think he means a contract on a coach's salary, which would be ten times less than his current wage

Yep, I understood what he meant. I stand by what I said, though.

So instead of paying him a fraction of what we would for the next 12 months, you'd rather pay him the full whack because you think we've paid him too much money? Ooookaaay

In what world is Shay Given going to write off 3 million quid to become a coach?

You'd be surprised. If he has managerial aspirations he might well be convinced to retire and take up a coaching position

You're right, I would. Currently Given earns approximately three times what Sherwood does on an annual basis, and Sherwood is a Premier League manager. Even if Given has coaching 'aspirations' (is there any evidence that he does?), he obviously couldn't guarantee being a coach or a manager at this level and at a similar wage. 

All this, as well, in order to what, get a twelve-month head start on a coaching career he could begin next summer anyway?

P3te - still waiting for a response.

Sorry, I don't have a list of former players turned coaches and their playing deal expiration dates, strangely enough. But plenty of players have retired before their deals expired and moved into coaching

P3te - still waiting for a response.

Sorry, I don't have a list of former players turned coaches and their playing deal expiration dates, strangely enough. But plenty of players have retired before their deals expired and moved into coaching

You can't name one but there are plenty?

Come off it.

if given does anything except sit on his contract until it expires here then it'll be a surprise, by then he probably will retire, if he does go into coaching, then yes, we probably wont here of him for 12 months, then he will end up being an understudy at newcastle, sunderland or everton, probably.

i cant see him back here and to be honest, i wouldn't want to, it would undermine our current goalkeeping coaches.

it would be brilliant if we could get him off the payroll, but he's holding the winning hand unfortunately.

Friedel never came for corners either though and that was never labelled against him

Friedel got away with it majorly down to the fact he had Laursen and Mellberg in defence, then he had Collins and Dunne, they were defenders told to attack the ball. Problem is none of our defenders now would attack the ball, they just spend most of their time tussling with others.

• Like 1

Can you name a player who has done the same?

Even if they did, did they write off the year or did they get bought out of it for a lump sum?

not sure if he took a dip in salary but Giggs retired last season when Moyes got sacked to take manager role

Friedel got away with it majorly down to the fact he had Laursen and Mellberg in defence, then he had Collins and Dunne, they were defenders told to attack the ball. Problem is none of our defenders now would attack the ball, they just spend most of their time tussling with others.

was going to mention that in my post, looking at how Benteke lost his man so easily on saturday. that would never happen with them 4 or even Carew or Heskey back then

Â