The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

Awful today. Imagine this was the final, Arsenal could be 4-0 up after 20 minutes and dreams shattered before they have begun. Any of this next week and its a dilemma for the final. Not that Sherwood will play anyone but Given regardless.

Awful today. Imagine this was the final, Arsenal could be 4-0 up after 20 minutes and dreams shattered before they have begun. Any of this next week and its a dilemma for the final. Not that Sherwood will play anyone but Given regardless.

What makes you think he'll play Given regardless against Burnley? Or do you mean for the final?

If he plays against Burnley and has a mare then surely he's a doubt for the final?

Guzan made one mistake and was dropped undeservedly IMO. Given has had an easy time till today and when the pressure was on he looked very dodgy.

Guzan made more than one mistake to be fair. Pre-match BT Sport showed at least three errors from him this season. City (a), Leicester (h) and Everton (a).

That said, I've seen enough of Given now to see that Brad deserves another chance

Whilst it'd be unfair to say he was at fault for any of the goals (although Long's was very saveable) I don't think he was strong enough and could have done better for a lot of the goals, they shouldn't be passing it in to an empty net if the goalie has touched the ball....Three times.

Guzan was dropped too easily, although I'm hoping it was a master stroke by Sherwood to keep everyone on their toes and he can fairly now put Guzan back in for the FA Cup!

Strange situation for Tim now. Guzan should start next week but the cup final is surely Givens? I mean it would prob split the dressing room to take it off him now.

Not enough to warrant it on today's performance.

I think Given has the better reactions and close range play and even distribution, but he doesn't come of his line quick enough or control the box

Guzan can often do the more spectacular saves well but seems to be nowhere near the ones that you think he should be getting some contact on, but he commands the box well and is braver with more presence. But his distribution can be iffy.

i feel we need to give Steer a chance and maybe buy an new goal keeper as I don't think either Brad or Shay are the future.

i think dropping Brad might do him some good, like Minulet (however the **** your spell it) at Liverpool. But as the start of next season he should be number 1. I think Givens been poor in his 3 league games, and shown to me he's not good enough as a number 1.

Obviously in an ideal world I would like a new keeper, but it's way down the list if we can get Brad back to his best.

Guzan is clearly the better keeper so he should play long term of the two.

But if Sherwood has decided that Given is playing in the final then may as well leave him in now, especially as we're safe.

I don't think dropping him the week before the final would send the right message.

Â