The Shay Given thread

RotaxMax125

the goalkeeper doing his job makes no sense ?....so guzan can have a great game let in 3 and we lose ?

Yes. Absolutely.

Guzan has had a great game and let in 8 before!

• Like 2

the goalkeeper doing his job makes no sense ?....so guzan can have a great game let in 3 and we lose ?

Yes. Absolutely.

Right....I'm going to leave it there then

You don't remember that Guzan got (our) Man of the Match in that Chelsea game?

You can't purely judge a goalkeeping performance by the goals conceded. That's ridiculous. A goalkeeper keeping a clean sheet does not automatically mean they've had a good game.

If you'd watched the West Ham game you'd have seen that Shay was awful at corners. No, it didn't cost us, but that doesn't magically make the mistakes he made not mistakes. it just means they were mistakes that went unpunished.

Similarly a goalkeeper could have an incredible game, but concede 2 goals from 2 penalties. Does that automatically mean he hasn't had a good game?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

Yes. Absolutely.

Right....I'm going to leave it there then

From what I can remember he saved a penalty and made 4/5 other good saves, conceded 8 and he was our best player by a mile

Thank **** those days are gone

I agree with Stevo. Just because we didn't concede it doesn't mean that Shay didn't make mistakes

Yep. Just because someone did adequately doesn't make it invalid to have doubts about their performance our unfair to point out what they could have done better. Goals conceded is not the only metric on which to judge a keeper's performance.

Obviously.

It would be a lot of money for a back up goalkeeper.

What do you value Guzan/Given at out of interest?

TBH, I think all keepers are only as good as the back 4.

Familiarity breeds content.

What do I value them at? As in a transfer fee?

Given zero.

Guzan. Depends on how much contract he'd have when we sold him but in an ideal situation I think we'd get 5-7m

Kruk would probably cost in the same region and isn't as good.

I think I get the crux of what you're saying.
  • Like 1

Steveo I feel no matter what I'm about to reply it will be wrong ...so it's been left to your opinion and mine ....I think Shay did his job you don't

Given did let in a goal it was just incorrectly ruled offside

Steveo I feel no matter what I'm about to reply it will be wrong ...so it's been left to your opinion and mine ....I think Shay did his job you don't

Given did let in a goal it was just incorrectly ruled offside

It was offside.

But is a perfect example as to why it would be stupid to judge a goalkeeper purely on whether he let a goal in or not.

Had he been onside, Given would have no chance in keeping that out. So he'd have let a goal in through absolutely no fault of his own.

So by MV's logic, that means he suddenly didn't do his job.

In the Shay vs. Brad debate, what it comes down to for me is this. I think Brad's had a pretty bad season, at least by the standards he set for himself in the previous couple of seasons. I think this is largely due to the fact that under Lambert, there was never anyone pressing him for his starting spot and that he grew complacent and never seemed to be seeking to improve.

Given, though, has all the weaknesses that have already been pointed out here -- weak at crosses and high balls, allows himself to be bullied during set pieces, etc. In my view, neither of them are ideal (Brad of two seasons ago would be ideal).

So the deciding factor for me is how the rest of the back four look depending on who's in goal. Our back four, in any given combination, always has a tendency to panic and give away cheap goals, especially late ones. But they look just that little bit more calm, more assured, and less panicky in front of Given. Maybe that's due to his experience, maybe he communicates better, I don't know. But they seem to perform better when Given is behind them, and that makes a big difference.

Get him out the first 2 goals he was so weak and so slow to get to the ball, the fourth was a decent through not great save that I would have expected Guzan to have made as well. And in general he looks so uncomfortable any significant distance away off his goal-line because I think he knows he doesn't have the pace to push out there to loose balls or get back when he needs to. Which is why you if look at the fifth goal, yes no way Guzan would have saved that either - it was a worldie but look how slow he was in his backpedal to attempt to save it. 

It might have been right initially to take Guzan out of the firing line after his Man City clanger, but enough time has passed to give him the chance to reclaim his place. Given is too slow to play the sweeper keeper style we need in this league, Guzan despite his sometimes dodgy kicking doesn't let us down in that position 99% of the time. Surely a super solid keeper like Guzan deserves our forgiveness for his once-in-a-blue-moon clangers which are seriously far and few between. 

• Like 1

Â