U.S. Politics

maqroll

15 hours ago, LondonLax said:

There is also a lot of interest in US politics because of the impact it has on the rest of the western world.

The western world and beyond. I can't help but think the attack on democracy here after our November election made things a little easier for the Burmese generals to justify their own assault on democracy after their November election.

• Like 1

Kevin McCarthy has no spine does he? They took action on King for quite idiotic comments, but they were on a whole other level to Marjorie Greene. He's using the Democrats actually wanting a person who's called for executing the people she works with out, as a political ploy. 

This whole saga has just shown that the GOP is unable to deal with any internal issues. It's like when they had members banned from Twitter, they talk about being censored rather than the actual comments that got them censored. It's like blaming the police for going after you because you committed a crime. Lincoln must be turning in his grave for what his party has turned into.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2021 at 18:33, HanoiVillan said:

I have to say, I had a very ' @villakram moment' this evening when PM did a whole segment about Marjorie Taylor Greene. I really don't think the BBC needs to be spending prime news real estate on how the leader of the minority caucus of the House of Representatives is dealing with one particular backbencher.

It wouldn't make sense for CNN to be obsessing about what's on Zarah Sultana's Twitter feed either.

See I think it is quite important. I think what happens over there has a big impact over here. I don't think its any surprise that as Trump gained power, we then get pushed our own moron, from a party that blatantly lies without giving a shit, with no repercussions for those actions. 

If elected officials can act like she has and be supported by her party through it all, then that sends the message around the world that its OK. That anything is fine as long as your base turn out to vote. 

My one hope with America rejecting Trump after one term, is that it sends a message to the words removed running the show here. 

13 minutes ago, villakram said:

Biden's speech at state yesterday was a clear statement that American exceptionalism is back. Neo-libs on the march.

It never went away. 

It may have bent to the concept as imagined by a single nutcase individual, but the underlying premise barely buckled.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Biden's speech at state yesterday was a clear statement that American exceptionalism is back. Neo-libs on the march.

Can I ask you a question? 

You are clearly terrified at the prospect of this Biden term of office. 

What exactly is going to befall America that you are so worried about?

What are the calamities that you believe are going to happen that will destroy American business and American life for the man in the street? 

Essentially, what is your beef? 

17 hours ago, il_serpente said:

This is big:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/joe-biden-pulls-support-yemen-war_n_601c253ac5b6179453d6d14f

President Joe Biden is fulfilling one of his top foreign policy campaign promises by cutting off assistance to the brutal Saudi Arabia-led military coalition in Yemen, he announced at the State Department on Thursday.

“We are ending all American support for offensive operations in the war in Yemen, including relevant arms sales,” Biden said, after describing the suffering that Yemenis have endured throughout a civil war that began in 2014. According to the United Nations, the country is experiencing the world’s worst humanitarian crisis......

Oh, wait.   I forgot, Biden's just a neo-liberal corporatist, so differences between him and Trump don't matter.

Didnt take long, next page even!

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What are the calamities that you believe are going to happen that will destroy American business and American life for the man in the street? 

I hope you don't have your heart set on a straight answer.   You'll be disappointed.   I imagine you'll get a nice little riddle to solve, though, so there's always that!

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, il_serpente said:

I hope you don't have your heart set on a straight answer.   You'll be disappointed.   I imagine you'll get a nice little riddle to solve, though, so there's always that!

An answer of nothingness is the best answer. 

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

Terrified.

No, it more that the savior of freedom & democracy that Biden is supposed to be, will be revealed to the be the unabashed nonsense that it is. What will all those who cared so much about things do then? Probably, turn off and ignore things much as was the case before Trump, e.g., remember the raging hypocrisy of the Obama presidency and the Bush presidency before that. 

Or Joe Biden's 50yrs of continuously being on the side of the corporate over that of the people. 

• Like 1

I wonder how many posts in this thread are of people complaining directly about me not jumping up and down for them. Must be getting near a few percent, over the last couple of years at anyway. What fun.

2 hours ago, il_serpente said:

6 minutes ago, villakram said:

Terrified.

No, it more that the savior of freedom & democracy that Biden is supposed to be, will be revealed to the be the unabashed nonsense that it is. What will all those who cared so much about things do then? Probably, turn off and ignore things much as was the case before Trump, e.g., remember the raging hypocrisy of the Obama presidency and the Bush presidency before that. 

Or Joe Biden's 50yrs of continuously being on the side of the corporate over that of the people. 

Yup. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Anyone actually expecting or claiming that Biden will change the world or whatever, where does that come from? Most I've seen don't even expect him to live the whole term.

• Like 1

After a fun night, yet another bail-out/stimulus looks like being on it's way, with a headline $1400 for most... but by March the 15th according to Pelosi today., due to the rules based method they are having to pass this by. It is not clear what pork is in the bill yet, but I'm sure Nancy will ensure all her piggies get fed. 

Notably, a $15 minimum wage amendment was killed, as the Democrats could not muster the votes.

23 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yes, we all know that Biden is just a front for the same old American hegemony. We know he isn't some sort of Jesus/Ghandi/MLK saviour. We're cynical, we get it. That's what Amerikka IS.

But, Trump was not the 'refreshing change' from all that. Trump (like his followers) was a grade-A retarded loon, who no sane person would trust with a vacuum cleaner, let alone a country. I'd take Richard **** ing Nixon over that word removed. 

This x 10000000000000000000

Â