U.S. Politics

maqroll

1 hour ago, villakram said:

Or Joe Biden's 50yrs of continuously being on the side of the corporate over that of the people. 

He's made political mistakes. He has apologized for some and not for others. He's made some bad choices and good choices.

Your conclusion to those FACTS is therefore very flawed.

They've nabbed another wholesome insurrectionist.  These are obviously just good, ordinary folks who want the best for their country.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/woman-who-helped-coordinate-attack-on-capitol-smashed-window-with-pipe-arrested_n_601d744bc5b69749da3d4b6f

A Pennsylvania mother of eight who gave instructions for storming the U.S. Capitol building through a bullhorn has been arrested....

...“I was not part of a plot — organized, whatever,” Powell, who spoke from an undisclosed location, told Farrow in a Feb 2 profile. “I have no military background ... I’m a mom with eight kids. That’s it. I work. And I garden. And raise chickens. And sell cheese at a farmers’ market.”

She forgot to add "And subvert democracy."    But i guess that might have altered the optics she's going for a little.

Edited by il_serpente
add quote
  • Like 2

Maybe not politics but related to it. Trump has been expelled and banned from SAG, Screen Actors Guild (he already resigned from it as he knew he would get expelled to avoid another L) meaning he can not be part of any SAG sanctioned TV-show or movie. No more The Apprentice or WWE for example.

• Like 1

On 05/02/2021 at 16:59, TheAuthority said:

He's made political mistakes. He has apologized for some and not for others. He's made some bad choices and good choices.

Your conclusion to those FACTS is therefore very flawed.

Apologizing is enough for you perhaps. 

His record should have seen him drummed out of politics, were he not of such use to the corporate machine.

spacer.png

Further terrifying plots regarding the ongoing destruction of the economy can be found at this useful read.

"Ten percent of Americans now control 97 percent of all capital income in the country. 

Nearly half of the new income generated since the global financial crisis of 2008 has gone to the wealthiest one percent of U.S. citizens. 

The richest three Americans collectively have more wealth than the poorest 160 million Americans." 

http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-top-10-is-doing-just-fine-middle.html

12 minutes ago, villakram said:

His record should have seen him drummed out of politics, were he not of such use to the corporate machine.

spacer.png

Further terrifying plots regarding the ongoing destruction of the economy can be found at this useful read.

"Ten percent of Americans now control 97 percent of all capital income in the country. 

Nearly half of the new income generated since the global financial crisis of 2008 has gone to the wealthiest one percent of U.S. citizens. 

The richest three Americans collectively have more wealth than the poorest 160 million Americans." 

http://charleshughsmith.blogspot.com/2021/02/the-top-10-is-doing-just-fine-middle.html

Two thoughts ...  correlation is not causation

Trump's policies enriched the ten percent more than the 90%

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, villakram said:

spacer.png

Are you suggesting this is because of Biden? Bernie has been in House and Senate since 1990, so he must be responsible as well, the corporate bast*rd

Or is it possible that one can be in politics, trying to change things and not succeeding because both Rs and Ds have other interests? Not that I am suggesting that Biden did that, I'm suggesting it is wrong to use this graph or the evolution of the balance rich/poor to say anything about Biden. What you are showing is that the system is failing, not one politician. I didn't see you use this about a year ago to talk about others in power, while it was eqaully true then. But I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

A second member of the House of Representatives dies of Covid:

What happens now.  Do they have to have another vote or is another Republican just chosen to replace him? 

28 minutes ago, sidcow said:

What happens now.  Do they have to have another vote or is another Republican just chosen to replace him? 

Doesn't really matter, Texas seat

Not sure what the Texas rules are but the Govenor can appoint someone for the rest of the term (yeah democracy an that), or until a Special Election can be held. Some states insist that a Special Election is held. Each state's rules are different

There are even a few examples of the wife taking over from the husband

4 hours ago, fruitvilla said:

Two thoughts ...  correlation is not causation

Trump's policies enriched the ten percent more than the 90%

Never said he didn't, but all his giveaway budgets were passed by the Dem controlled house, and on at least one occasion they gave the military more than the generous budget Trump requested.

4 hours ago, AXD said:

Are you suggesting this is because of Biden? Bernie has been in House and Senate since 1990, so he must be responsible as well, the corporate bast*rd

Or is it possible that one can be in politics, trying to change things and not succeeding because both Rs and Ds have other interests? Not that I am suggesting that Biden did that, I'm suggesting it is wrong to use this graph or the evolution of the balance rich/poor to say anything about Biden. What you are showing is that the system is failing, not one politician. I didn't see you use this about a year ago to talk about others in power, while it was eqaully true then. But I suppose that doesn't fit your narrative.

A new figure working with the power levers of the system is vastly different from someone who is having yet another go at fixing things they have demonstrated again and again that they are unable to do. 50 yrs of failure is quite impressive. Of course, as the Senator from Delaware, he was quite effective.

9 minutes ago, villakram said:

Never said he didn't, but all his giveaway budgets were passed by the Dem controlled house, and on at least one occasion they gave the military more than the generous budget Trump requested.

I'm not sure how voting works in the US ...  But it does not appear the Dems controlled the house in 2017

image.png.4f9e3e61c2f66bb1ab42aefe0a81c567.png

3 hours ago, sidcow said:

There will be a special election:

A special election will be held to fill Arlington Rep. Ron Wright’s congressional seat

'Arlington U.S. Rep. Ron Wright died Sunday after being hospitalized with COVID-19, leaving a vacancy in the congressional seat that can only be filled by a special election.

Wright, 67, represented Texas’ 6th Congressional District, which covers southeast Tarrant County, including most of Arlington and Mansfield, as well as all of Ellis and Navarro counties. Gov. Greg Abbott’s office on Monday said a special election will be called to fill the vacant seat, but did not provide information on the timing.'

more: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/politics-government/article249095480.html

(By the looks of it, it's a district that has gone from completely uncompetitive to very faintly competitive, but you wouldn't expect a change of hands I think)

Edited by HanoiVillan

11 hours ago, villakram said:

Typical, rude, unnecessary patronizing comment to start your post as per usual. Why man? Who hurt you? Are you on the spectrum? - Thats a serious question by the way.

spacer.png

You see, the majority of your post is factual and grounded in reality. I read the article you posted and it is a clear assessment of current US economic conditions and the decline of real world wages since 1975. Although IMO it would be interesting to discuss if "De-capitalization" is the correct term as the author claims or some form or evolved or late stage capitalism.

However, when you state "Further terrifying plots regarding the ongoing destruction of the economy," thats where it starts to fall into conspiracy nonsense.

Do rich people want to make more money? Sure.
Do they meet at Davos and Bohemian Grove and plot to make every worker an autobot to squeeze every last cent out of them as part of some secret society/cabal? No, no they don't.

Because, if you start to believe that kind of stuff it's not long before you start believing that "they" drink children's blood and adrenalin and are all aliens, (but grey's, not the lizard people). Then before you know it, you start listening to listen guy as if he's a Shaman sent to save the children.

210109181944-jacob-anthony-chansley-larg

Don't listen to him @villakram.

He cray cray.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, villakram said:

spacer.png

I don't know enough about American politics to participate really, but assuming I understand that graph, it's fascinating how it correlates with Nixon' and Reagan's deregulation politics and union disruption. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, villakram said:

A new figure working with the power levers of the system is vastly different from someone who is having yet another go at fixing things they have demonstrated again and again that they are unable to do. 50 yrs of failure is quite impressive. Of course, as the Senator from Delaware, he was quite effective.

New figure? McConnell, Graham, Grassley,...

The fact you only respond selectively says enough.

Â