U.S. Politics

maqroll

7 hours ago, villakram said:

Why are you so focussed on the village loon?

Why are you so completely blind to the danger such people present? 

It's utterly astonishing to anyone anywhere else in the world that such a person could actually be voted into a public office. 

Your country had some serious problems but because you're living in it you seem oblivious. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why are you so completely blind to the danger such people present? 

It's utterly astonishing to anyone anywhere else in the world that such a person could actually be voted into a public office. 

Your country had some serious problems but because you're living in it you seem oblivious. 

It's not a new thing. These people came crawling out of the woodwork 4-5 years ago. There's a great collection of them in this video from 2016:

Populism at its best. So many really angry white old grannies and men who drank too much out of the jug with XXX on it. I thought the UK had a problem with UKIP, Farage et all, but at least we generally ridicule the loonies in our country. Like many republicans are now displaying it's okay to be a racist, anti-Semitic Karen calling for the execution of members of congress because she was elected. That's a rabbit-hole that opens up a lot of questions about where the U.S is headed under any republican candidate going forward.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I have to say, I had a very ' @villakram moment' this evening when PM did a whole segment about Marjorie Taylor Greene. I really don't think the BBC needs to be spending prime news real estate on how the leader of the minority caucus of the House of Representatives is dealing with one particular backbencher.

It wouldn't make sense for CNN to be obsessing about what's on Zarah Sultana's Twitter feed either.

👌

The Canadian government has declared the Proud Boys organization a terrorist group and refers to the uprising in Washington on November 6. The fact that the group played a key role in the storming of the US Congress contributed to the decision.

The stamp of terror means that the group can have its funds confiscated and members risk more severe penalties for possible violent crimes in Canada. Proud Boys has semi-autonomous branches in the United States and Canada.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I have to say, I had a very ' @villakram moment' this evening when PM did a whole segment about Marjorie Taylor Greene. I really don't think the BBC needs to be spending prime news real estate on how the leader of the minority caucus of the House of Representatives is dealing with one particular backbencher.

It wouldn't make sense for CNN to be obsessing about what's on Zarah Sultana's Twitter feed either.

Exactly, meanwhile Liz Cheney is up against it right now, but zero focus on her. 

E.g., she introduced the amendments prohibiting he provision of funds for an Afghan drawdown. Clearly, this and the potential destruction of her neo-con career (which should be cheered, but she plays for the home team in Washington revolving door land) is less important than the rantings of a borderline nobody.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

This Biden press sec is a question mark talker. Most of her statements sound like questions. I get annoyed by that if the speaker isn't from Northern Ireland.

She is really good at not answering the question. Let's see how long the media ignore this for. Plenty of fire was being directed her way from the mainstream media during the Obama years, but she was able to get away with things by being out of the front line in state, and Obama dominating the news cycle.

1 hour ago, villakram said:

She is really good at not answering the question. Let's see how long the media ignore this for. Plenty of fire was being directed her way from the mainstream media during the Obama years, but she was able to get away with things by being out of the front line in state, and Obama dominating the news cycle.

I expect they are just relieved that they can actually ask questions now. 

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

This Biden press sec is a question mark talker. Most of her statements sound like questions. I get annoyed by that if the speaker isn't from Northern Ireland.

Australian Question Intonation (AQI). 

• Like 2

You can't make it up:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lin-wood-voting-investigation-2020-election_n_601a9a10c5b69137248e685f

The Georgia secretary of state’s office has launched an investigation into an allegation that Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who continues to push baseless conspiracies of voter fraud, voted illegally in the 2020 presidential election.  State investigators reportedly opened the probe Tuesday after Wood confirmed to local ABC affiliate WSB-TV that he voted in Georgia despite moving to South Carolina last year.  “I have been domiciled in South Carolina for several months after purchasing property in the state in April,” Wood wrote in the email to a reporter at the news station.  Under Georgia election code to determine residence, “If a person removes to another state with the intention of making it such person’s residence, such person shall be considered to have lost such person’s residence in this state.” ...

Given that a black, single mother got something like 5 years in prison in Texas for illegally voting in an election she honestly thought she was eligible to vote in, I fully expect this white Republican clown who knowingly voted illegally while accusing the other party and the Republican Secretary of State of participating in massive voter fraud to get at leas 10 years.   Not.

On the other hand, the SoS will be fuming at him for his accusations and the chaos he helped sow, so there might be a happy ending yet.   Wood is calling it a political retribution.  The SoS would do well to bring up the Texas woman as an example that a prison sentence would be consistent with the sort of punishment that Republican "election security" advocates have been supportive of.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, villakram said:

Oh, the irony.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, villakram said:

Think the press are just happy for the time being to get to ask questions, it’s been so long under the former administration not having press conferences and when they did the PS basically lied and/or didn’t take questions.

As the press get back to normality and used to having regular press conferences and being able to ask questions, I’m sure the press will put pressure on.  That’s how it should always be that the press help us, the public, keep the administration accountable whoever is in office.  

Nice, after four years, to be able to do that again.

At least Psaki faces the press everyday which a massive leap compared to the last administration.  She could’ve just done the same as the Trump admin so I’ll give her props for that.

9 hours ago, il_serpente said:

You can't make it up:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lin-wood-voting-investigation-2020-election_n_601a9a10c5b69137248e685f

The Georgia secretary of state’s office has launched an investigation into an allegation that Lin Wood, a pro-Trump attorney who continues to push baseless conspiracies of voter fraud, voted illegally in the 2020 presidential election.  State investigators reportedly opened the probe Tuesday after Wood confirmed to local ABC affiliate WSB-TV that he voted in Georgia despite moving to South Carolina last year.  “I have been domiciled in South Carolina for several months after purchasing property in the state in April,” Wood wrote in the email to a reporter at the news station.  Under Georgia election code to determine residence, “If a person removes to another state with the intention of making it such person’s residence, such person shall be considered to have lost such person’s residence in this state.” ...

Given that a black, single mother got something like 5 years in prison in Texas for illegally voting in an election she honestly thought she was eligible to vote in, I fully expect this white Republican clown who knowingly voted illegally while accusing the other party and the Republican Secretary of State of participating in massive voter fraud to get at leas 10 years.   Not.

On the other hand, the SoS will be fuming at him for his accusations and the chaos he helped sow, so there might be a happy ending yet.   Wood is calling it a political retribution.  The SoS would do well to bring up the Texas woman as an example that a prison sentence would be consistent with the sort of punishment that Republican "election security" advocates have been supportive of.

Wholeheartedly dumbstruck that even in the USA a single mother, of any race, gets five years jail for mistaking the voting policy and submitting a vote in a state she shouldn't of.

Plato deemed the most fundamentally important aspect of a democratic system to be justice. To be just is to be fair and do what is morally right.

On precedent this idiot should be locked up, considering his intent and deliberate misuse of the voting procedure.

If not then you have to amend the law for such situations, it simply cannot apply to one person and not another because one has more clout than the other.

Corrupt to the core.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, villakram said:

Exactly, meanwhile Liz Cheney is up against it right now, but zero focus on her. 

E.g., she introduced the amendments prohibiting he provision of funds for an Afghan drawdown. Clearly, this and the potential destruction of her neo-con career (which should be cheered, but she plays for the home team in Washington revolving door land) is less important than the rantings of a borderline nobody.

To be fair, they mentioned Liz Cheney on the segment too, in setting up a contrast between the two of them (which I'm not sure is exactly accurate anyway), but the broader point is that British radio listeners don't need to be told about the goings on of the Republican House caucus, any more than American ones need to know about Labour backbenchers. It's fine if anoraks like the posters on this thread want to proactively read and learn about this stuff - though I also find it worrying that I imagine there are a large number of people who could tell you more about individual House members than they could about their own MP - but I just don't think media outlets in this country should be reporting on these dramas about individual House members.

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

To be fair, they mentioned Liz Cheney on the segment too, in setting up a contrast between the two of them (which I'm not sure is exactly accurate anyway), but the broader point is that British radio listeners don't need to be told about the goings on of the Republican House caucus, any more than American ones need to know about Labour backbenchers. It's fine if anoraks like the posters on this thread want to proactively read and learn about this stuff - though I also find it worrying that I imagine there are a large number of people who could tell you more about individual House members than they could about their own MP - but I just don't think media outlets in this country should be reporting on these dramas about individual House members.

See I slightly disagree.  

I’m not saying everything needs to be reported but I very much believe knowledge is power.  We need too see how these things elsewhere happen so we are more aware if it starts happening in our country so we can nip it in the bud because as America is finding out, that once it’s in, it’s hard to flush out and politicians are weak generally like McCarthy so the disease just burrows deeper.

If we don’t see it coming because we don’t know about it it’s harder to defend from.  Hence report it, don’t over do it but highlight the problem, then move on.  The people interested can then research more, the people not interested get a bit of info, bit of entertainment and in their subconscious understand a kook thing so they’ll subconsciously be on the look out in the future.

There is also a lot of interest in US politics because of the impact it has on the rest of the western world. I doubt there is a thread on 'BrownsTalk' (or some other US sports team) discussing the ins and outs of UK parliament but US politics is obviously of enough interest in the UK (and other countries) for there to be a 975 page thread about it on a UK football team's message board. I can see why the BBC also find it worth reporting on.   

3 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

There is also a lot of interest in US politics because of the impact it has on the rest of the western world. I doubt there is a thread on 'BrownsTalk' (or some other US sports team) discussing the ins and outs of UK parliament but US politics is obviously of enough interest in the UK (and other countries) for there to be a 975 page thread about it on a UK football team's message board. I can see why the BBC also find it worth reporting on.   

*US politics* has an enormous impact on the world, for sure. *Marjorie Taylor Greene, a freshman House member in the minority caucus* doesn't even have very much impact on American politics; she has literally no impact on the life of British people. If it were a broad discussion about 'how likely are Republicans to block the Democrat agenda' or something, that would be more justifiable, or even if it were a discussion of common conspiracy theories (though that would need to be very carefully handled IMO).

8 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

*US politics* has an enormous impact on the world, for sure. *Marjorie Taylor Greene, a freshman House member in the minority caucus* doesn't even have very much impact on American politics; she has literally no impact on the life of British people. If it were a broad discussion about 'how likely are Republicans to block the Democrat agenda' or something, that would be more justifiable, or even if it were a discussion of common conspiracy theories (though that would need to be very carefully handled IMO).

Yeah, but nutters are more entertaining. It's why Trump was prez. It's why Boris Johnson is PM.

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Â