U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought The Rock was republican?

I believe he was alleged to have been contemplating taking part in the Democratic primary, but I think you're not far off, my (possibly incorrect) understanding of his politics is that he is very 'centrist' and would probably be at home as a moderate in either party (kind of like Arnie really).

To be clear, it is highly highly unlikely that somebody like The Rock would ever win a Democratic presidential primary. Centrists can and do win (like Biden!), but they win because primary voters (especially African-American voters, but not only) want a candidate they perceive as 'electable', and so they prefer centrists with long resumes.

• Like 1

Trump will never, ever have any action for any of his activities. Once he's out of the White House he'll either go back to be an irrelevant blowhard narcissist, disappear into obscurity like most old politicians, or be rotting in a box.

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

That’s a tricky one, the shove was fairly innocuous and the police are obviously clearing the area behind them so won’t just walk past him. They could have handled it better but we know they aren’t at the moment. Neither are they listening to reason. He’s taken an unnecessary risk approaching them like that. 

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s a tricky one, the shove was fairly innocuous and the police are obviously clearing the area behind them so won’t just walk past him. They could have handled it better but we know they aren’t at the moment. Neither are they listening to reason. He’s taken an unnecessary risk approaching them like that. 

Not sure what’s tricky about a gang of heavily armed and heavily armoured thugs pushing a thin elderly gent to the ground and then not even stopping to check he’s okay.

You can actually see one or two of them go to aid him on the floor and pushed away from doing so by what you’d assume are their Seniors.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

I've got to disagree here. The man is doing absolutely nothing wrong. He's clearly elderly. You don't just push old men, especially ones that are not posing any kind of threat. What's more, when one goes to help him up, he's then directed not to by another. The optics of a middle-aged man dressed like a **** transformer pushing over an innocent old geezer and then seemingly not caring that there's blood pooling out the back of his head are horrific.

At the end of the day, these protests are about police brutality. People are not going to be less inspired to protest when they are presented with yet more evidence of police brutality. If the police want the protests to stop, then they need to de-escalate. Unfortunately, what we are seeing is that they are enjoying the protests and so have no interest in de-escalation.

• Like 4

I saw someone else say this somewhere else but if the person/people you are protesting against are comfortable with your means of protest then it isn't really a protest. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Genie said:

Apparently he was giving a helmet back... Even if that's not true, I think the comments above cover it off nicely.

2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Shows how crazy things have become. They are supposed to be public servants working to protect citizens like that old man. 

I agree.

Saying that the police are moving forwards so not going to stop for a chat. I don’t believe the shove was intended to deck him, just to turn him around and I said they handled it badly.

It was an unnecessary risk he took approaching them like that in such a highly charged environment but doesn’t for a second excuse the policing.

Just now, Genie said:

It was an unnecessary risk he took approaching them like that in such a highly charged environment but doesn’t for a second excuse the policing.

This is a little bit close to 'she took a risk wearing a mini skirt in a male dominated area' for me. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Maybe I just saw some anti-Trump stuff he said a while ago and assumed he was Democrat.

The state of political discourse in the States when 'Anti Trump = Democrat' (not aimed at you) 

1 minute ago, StefanAVFC said:

This is a little bit close to 'she took a risk wearing a mini skirt in a male dominated area' for me. 

I think it’s completely different but it’s open to interpretation.

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

In 2008, when Bush lost, and people left his administration, there were people guilty of a wide range of actionable crimes, including authorising torture techniques and implementing secret warrantless wiretapping. Nobody got prosecuted, and there is no reason to think that anybody from the Trump administration will be prosecuted either, and certainly not the man himself. Biden - who is, after all, no radical - will conclude that for the benefit of 'healing', 'the country needs to move on' and absolutely nothing will happen to Trump.

Tax scams and other crimes from his pre election business life might be looked at very closely. We can but hope.

47 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Trump will never, ever have any action for any of his activities. Once he's out of the White House he'll either go back to be an irrelevant blowhard narcissist, disappear into obscurity like most old politicians, or be rotting in a box.

He'll go back to being a rich asshole on TV belittling people, spouting shite and playing lots of golf whilst acting in the interests of his own businesses... I say "go back to..." 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Shows how crazy things have become. They are supposed to be public servants working to protect citizens like that old man. 

The thing for me with it is there are 2 officers already talking to him, the 1st policeman he approaches seems to have it under relative control, the 3rd officer then steps in and pushes him which the 2 other offices react to and stop talking to him and join in with the pushing, he also stops the 1st cop from helping him

The escalation to violence is caused by poor policing 

Which is part of the point of the **** protests 

Edited by villa4europe

Can't say I think that's a tricky one at all.

It was unnecessary force that caused serious harm. That police thug should be sacked and prosecuted, and those who just walked on and ignored a man on the ground with blood pooling around his head out to be up in front of a disciplinary as well.

Fixing the US police force is going to require throwing out entire barrels of bad apples and basically starting from the ground up, though. If we were seeing this in a single police department, it wouldn't be so horrific, but it's nationwide. Their police think that the public is the enemy and it's going to take a huge amount of work to fix that, if there's even the political will to do so. 

Edited by Davkaus

Â