U.S. Politics

maqroll

17 minutes ago, sne said:

Absolutely embarrassing that they got a permit to protest today in Stockholm (and other cities) yes you need a permit in Sweden and they got one.

All the rules and regulation that they implement becomes a joke when they allow something like this in the midst of a raging pandemic.

Thousands of people who meet up and then go home to their families via public transport. And then they go to work the nest day, also via public transport.

I have all the sympathy for the people who suffer from racism in the US and everywhere else. But I have zero sympathy for these guys.

It's like begging for a second wave.

Second wave? Sweden is still working through the first wave 😬

037BDB4B-3488-41D3-80E3-4DD4A01F205D.png

1 minute ago, LondonLax said:

Second wave? Sweden is still working through the first wave 😬

037BDB4B-3488-41D3-80E3-4DD4A01F205D.png

I know, but I fear it will spike now with the weather as it is. And stuff like this protests, football restarting and midsummer will not help.

Edited by sne

The cop who killed George Floyd has had his charges upgrade from 3rd degree murder to 2nd degree murder so he's now facing up to 40 years in prison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, av1 said:

That's basically giving the police a free pass to do whatever they want. 

Worrying. 

From some of the clothes they are wearing it sounds like they are riot guards from the federal prison system. It’s not clear who they are answering to or why they are there. 

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

From some of the clothes they are wearing it sounds like they are riot guards from the federal prison system. It’s not clear who they are answering to or why they are there. 

The Coast Guard maybe?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Guessing Drew Brees and LeBron James won't be having dinner together anytime soon...

The swerve to disrespecting soldiers was an incredible move by the right

People still really don't get it, or that's being polite... People really don't want to see it for what it is

• Like 3

I have to be honest, I find the demos going on in Germany, Sweden and other countries rather cringeworthy. Most of the people who meet up are either after socializing or creating trouble. The idea that they should hold demo marches in other countries about US internal policies is just stupid. Might as well go to the US embassy then. 

Racism in Europe isn't by far an issue compared to what you find in the US. Just isn't. Maybe in certain parts of southern Italy, but that's just my opinion.

As for how long the demonstrations will last in the US, I suspect it will just fade out. It's hard to keep this kinda of fire going in the large public after the initial excitement of it fades off. Secondly, to keep momentum you surely need some active goal, i.e. achieve something by the protests. To me it seems the US protests are basically about changing up their entire society, from social to economial. That's not something they will be able to see any results from in a month from now or a year from now. I'd be amazed if the protests are going 2 weeks from now. 

20 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I have to be honest, I find the demos going on in Germany, Sweden and other countries rather cringeworthy. Most of the people who meet up are either after socializing or creating trouble. The idea that they should hold demo marches in other countries about US internal policies is just stupid. Might as well go to the US embassy then. 

Racism in Europe isn't by far an issue compared to what you find in the US. Just isn't. Maybe in certain parts of southern Italy, but that's just my opinion.

As for how long the demonstrations will last in the US, I suspect it will just fade out. It's hard to keep this kinda of fire going in the large public after the initial excitement of it fades off. Secondly, to keep momentum you surely need some active goal, i.e. achieve something by the protests. To me it seems the US protests are basically about changing up their entire society, from social to economial. That's not something they will be able to see any results from in a month from now or a year from now. I'd be amazed if the protests are going 2 weeks from now. 

The protests in Ferguson Missouri over the death of Michael Brown in 2014 went on for three weeks, with a couple more flare ups at key dates later.  

If Trump’s methods manage to quell this unrest faster than Obama did with Ferguson he will never shut up about it.  

Edited by LondonLax

Statement from Gen. Mattis tonight-

IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH

I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

• Like 2

yep, saw more than a few "where were the protests after lee rigby" type posts in the last few days as if to suggest that the 2 are in some way correlated (they're not) or that one was worse than the other (again they're not) or that justice wasn't served after lee rigby (it was) and I think worst of all its usually followed by the suggestion that people have forgotten or simply don't care (which isn't true) and that we should be more like America in respecting our army (which is a terrible idea)

there are some pretty scary true colours coming out surrounding these protests which is just proving their point

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

yep, saw more than a few "where were the protests after lee rigby" type posts in the last few days as if to suggest that the 2 are in some way correlated (they're not) or that one was worse than the other (again they're not) or that justice wasn't served after lee rigby (it was) and I think worst of all its usually followed by the suggestion that people have forgotten or simply don't care (which isn't true) and that we should be more like America in respecting our army (which is a terrible idea)

there are some pretty scary true colours coming out surrounding these protests which is just proving their point

Yeah it’s bizarre. “But lee rigby”

Rigby was murdered, his murderers caught on camera, charged and imprisoned. 

It is not remotely the same thing. There’s nothing to protest there. Justice was served

• Like 1

Â