U.S. Politics

maqroll

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I humbly submit that polling data does not, in fact, suggest that Trump is doing particularly well with this crisis, or that he is doing well in the general election campaign.

As I've said on here earlier.  The USA is absolutely completely Barking mad. 

With how he conducts himself, with what he does, the things he says his approval rating should be through the floor.  He should have almost zero support yet he's still got massive support and is still very much in the running for re-election. 

I just cannot understand how so many people can still possibly think he's basically still OK and fit to continue. 

The levels of insanity in America knows no bounds. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, sidcow said:

With how he conducts himself, with what he does, the things he says his approval rating should be through the floor.  He should have almost zero support yet he's still got massive support and is still very much in the running for re-election. 

I just cannot understand how so many people can still possibly think he's basically still OK and fit to continue. 

No disagreement - but he doesn't have be on near-zero to lose the election. (I'm not saying he will by the way, but he's in poor position so far)

5 hours ago, Michelsen said:

Haven’t checked, but could it be median household income?

Yup, sloppy from myself. The $53k number os a few years old and something that just hangs in my head in terms of the skew in the wealth distribution over here. 

Median personal income is ~ $34k (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEPAINUSA672N)

Median household income is ~ $63k (https://fred.stlouisfed.org/series/MEHOINUSA672N#0)

*** Good news ***

Representative for some portion of the state of Iowa Steve King is kaput, having been defeated in his primary last night :)

Edited by villakram
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, villakram said:

*** Good news ***

Representative for some portion of the state of Iowa Steve King is kaput, having been defeated in his primary last night :)

The winner?

A hardcore Trumper who thinks the Coronavirus is a Chinese conspiracy.

Unfortunately King wasn't outed because of his views; another awful bloke just had more backing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Because there's a whole bunch of dumb and/or racist people in 'Murica.

That's why a dumb and/or racist a-hole gets to lead them in the first place.

Art imitating life / life imitating art n all that.......

13 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

The winner?

A hardcore Trumper who thinks the Coronavirus is a Chinese conspiracy.

Unfortunately King wasn't outed because of his views; another awful bloke just had more backing.

It was a Republican primary, it was never going to be someone brilliant. But the difference is meaningful here, I think - King was an open white nationalist, and this guy doesn't seem to be.

Of course it would be a million times better if the Dem candidate - who is actually decent in this district - won in November.

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

I sometimes wonder about the standard of education over there.  I can't work out how anyone with any reasonable level of critical thinking can come to the decision to vote for this man.  It just completely defies logic to me, as well as the obsession with guns, abortion and religion.  

• Like 1

Please not the tweet is from mid April so is not a direct result of the riots.  It does however look like some real shady shit.  Like the only option they had was to cover the badge numbers.  What is next, a memorial black tape over the body cam lens.  Not much point really as they are being left behind or not switched on anyway.  Maybe all the body cams are being switched off to present a black screen and it is a solidarity statement? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Straggler said:

It took 3 years. We shouldn't be surprised though.  Trump told us who he is in his campaign.  He didn't hide the racism, he flaunted it, he didn't shun the violence he encouraged it. He was as obviously as devoid of intelligence and empathy as he was inflated by an undeserved ego.  His lies were many and obvious, his promises of greatness as empty as his plans to deliver it.  His life of grifting, crime, bankruptcy and loyalty to only himself was there to see on full view.  He abused everyone around him and failed upwards.

I've heard people say that the majority of Americans did not vote for Trump.  I do hear that, but America has built and fiercely guarded a system that is designed to promote people like him into power.  It is a condemnation of the opposition to Trump that they were so unpalatable to the American people that a man so obviously unfit to lead ended up where he is.  There is a swamp in Washington, the people of America are turning a very harsh light on it right now and sadly seeing that the swamp is the only thing left that has bipartisan support. Trump needs to go, but when the only other option is Biden all you are doing is voting for more of the same with a more effective delivery of pretending to care.  Biden will follow the rules of the establishment, but how does that help when the establishment is the problem?  I do think Biden is better, but his campaign too has been littered with outrageous lies, racial insensitivity.  Better than Trump is a low bar and only just clearing it is simply not good enough. 

2016 to now has been tough on the mental health. 

Good post. Yes, most Americans either voted for Clinton or didn't vote at all, letting Trump cakewalk it behind the votes of millions of people, who LIKED the campaign chaos and racist rhetoric. They wanted a tyrant, and they got one. Now the real fight has begun to not only oust Trump, but to permanently crush the far right. Biden is a bridge candidate who wont trigger a backlash after his term is over. The Dems need to get smart and more tactical with a long term strategy to keep power after Biden (if he wins).

• Like 1

Meanwhile, in little old Portland Maine, state police came to town to back up local cops and things got testy last night. Gas pellets shot at protesters, fireworks thrown at police, some people suggesting that the fireworks were being set off and thrown by cops dressed as protesters. 

What's really interesting is there are significant protests happening in secondary cities now, like Brockton, Mass., Bangor, Maine, Manchester, NH.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snowychap said:

:lol:

Even if that were true, and it's not, because Donald Trump said it...isn't it worse?!

"Mr President, do you have time to discuss the Covid19 crisis, or the nationwide riots and widespread policy brutality and war on the press?"

"Not now. I have some routine building inspections to attend to. Great buildings. Beautiful bunkers, like you wouldn't believe. Nobody knows bunkers like I know bunkers".

Edited by Davkaus

23 minutes ago, maqroll said:

What's really interesting is there are significant protests happening in secondary cities now, like Brockton, Mass., Bangor, Maine, Manchester, NH.

There was a pretty big protest gathering in Stockholm today

image.jpeg.20b528b09d1d4beb18dd8563a8468da5.jpeg

It didn’t finish all that great

• Sad 1

Â